KFC buffet

I see dreadfully unhealthy folks each week, as well as the obese and morbidly obese, and I lecture them on behavioral improvements that can be relatively easily accomplished as opposed to say giving up cigarettes.

I tell them to just get fast-food down to one meal/week; just one meal weekly that comes out of a window and the hands of a HS student. These patients look at me like I asking them to tour the Sea of Tranquility.

The Q in QPR stands for quality.

Peet’s. Duh.

neener

Glenn, would you recommend that your patients eat more greens (mustard, cabbage, lettuce) and more beans (butter, black eyed peas, red beans)? Throw in broiled chicken without the skin, which is one of the KFC all you can eat options, then what better recommendation could you give them when eating out at fast food chains, including Mexican, Italian, seafood, steakhouses, etc., for <$7/person? Serious question.

i think the two of us should meet at KFC and eat at the buffet with wine. hehe.

I seriously recommend my patients learn how to prepare meals in their domicile. You would be shocked how the response rarely involves money but instead time - they squeeze dinner in between time off work and whatever TV show they are also addicted to.

There are classes @ the local community college (with an excellent culinary program) I refer folks to.

$7 seems cheap until you dial in the associated, down the line medical expenses.

Not like most Americans are cooking that much healthier at home right?

When I was single and “cooking” at home, I would alternate between deep frying frozen food (corn dogs, jalepeno poppers, chimichanga, etc), nuking frozen food (burritos, pizza) or grilling steaks, chicken, burgers. Good times…
I miss my deep fryer, first thing my wife got rid of. I used to use the same peanut oil for days, added to the flavor.

But what do you recommend for those that will not and cannot follow your advice to cook at home? Does this possibility even enter into your doctoring equation? Are you seriously advocating that broiled chicken, various greens, and various beans is a bad choice for nutrition for those that have to, or deem they have to, eat fast food? Is broiled chicken, greens, and beans a bad choice for nutrition? Again, does fast food nutrition for those that deem they must partake of it, for whatever reasons, valid or not, not even enter into your equation? If not, I would posit that you are not recognizing your patients’ best interests, however varied they might be. Rather, you are imposing your own belief system on them. Again, recommend a better fast food menu that provides calories, nutrients, phytochemicals, and roughage for <$7.

I recognize that this will not sit well with you, but welcome to the real world. Sorry this post has taken this turn, but I absolutely, totally, and completely disagree that there is one and only one way to live one’s life dictated by others who, in their opinion, know so much more than those who have decided the way in which they should live their lives.

I rarely ever eat out as a result of being in school for so long that, realizing I could cook the same food for less than half the price at a restaurant, learned to cook on my own, and I am a pretty darned good cook as others on this board might attest to. I also have an extensive vegetable garden that I eat from each year because I also realized that I can produce fresh produce for much less than the cost at a store. But others, actually most others, cannot live this lifestyle.

Sorry to rip into you, but the arrogance you display is one of my pet peeves against medical doctors. Others in the medical profession would not only agree with this assessment, but have. Others in the profession would disagree. I assume you are one of the latter.

Wow.

No kidding. Sounds like an advocation of fattening up the livestock right before slaughter.

I don’t know too many Americans have those preservatives at home, ready to add to their food. If they buy frozen foods, then perhaps they are similar, but that is not ‘cooking at home’ - that’s reheating.

Not taking an issue for or against fast food here BUT…

…with some smart shopping you can actually eat REALLY well and REALLY healthy on 7 bucks.

Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.

Instead of regaling the best fast food option available to the working poor or providing alternative options, his advice is to not eat fast food and cook more healthy meals at home. Brilliant advice - no question - but what does this have to do with the real world that his patients are subject to?

Attitudes like this become not only tiresome, but meaningless after awhile.

I eagerly await your biting response.

Dude,
You ask for Glenn’s advice and then go rip his answer!??? And you continue your rant by calling him arrogant!??? I’m also a doctor and I can give you some advice in what to eat at KFC. Eat this, lots of it, very healthy:

Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald’s, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.

Do you have any affiliation or financial interest in KFC or Yum! Brands?

1 Like

How about any sandwich shop (Subway, et al) and ANY footlong loaded with FRESH (not over-boiled) veggies - that’s roughly $7.00 or less, and significantly fewer calories, and NON of the trans-fats.

Is this a serious question?

What Joe Kim said: “You ask for Glenn’s advice and then go rip his answer!??? And you continue your rant by calling him arrogant!???”

Beyond that, you’re managing to prove you can be unprovokedly and unnecessarily caustic and argumentative no matter the subject, as long as you disagree with someone. And I thought it was just politics.

Tom,

In the real world eating at fast food places is neither nutritious nor healthy. It should never be looked upon that way. You seem to want everyone to agree with your excuses for seeing that way but it just won’t happen. You think you’ve found a deal you can live with. Most people would disagree. I think you are better off just treating yourself to what you want once every couple weeks or month and forget about trying to see it as an acceptable part of your diet. You will feel better about it, eat something you like and not have to feel like you are making excuses to eat it. KFC is not out to make healthy food for people.

As to your abhorrence of those with medical knowledge of the body and how it works…well…that only seems to feed into your fantasy of fast food being healthy. Maybe you should listen to those people instead of approaching them with your own denial and arrogance?