Lady winery owners / collectors

Wonderful thread, great to read the comments and stories.

Well said

Agreed. I have been drinking wine since the 1970s and over 70% of the wine in my cellar is French and another 19% is German. Over half of my wine is Burgundy (red or white) and my guess is that what I drink is even more Burgundy or German wine than the stats for my holdings suggest.

I would suggest that your Sauvignon Blanc is a wonderful wine, and fairly priced. In the interest of this thread, my wife and I both enjoy it. Sheā€™s not a collector, just someone that enjoys a nice (white) wine. [cheers.gif]

Enjoying this thread! Welcome, everyone.

Cheers,
Doug

Hi everyone, I had no idea that this thread would garner so many replies until a fellow berserker encouraged me to check back :slight_smile:

Anyhow, hi, and yeah I donā€™t know why I used the term lady - Iā€™m not so much of one especially after a few glasses (bottles) of wine!

Nice to e-meet you all.

Itā€™s been a crazy year, just reaching out to meet a few kindred spirits from my little living room in Carlton, OR.

Hey everybody- Happy Inauguration Day!
I wanted to chime in and say hi. Iā€™m a newbie to the board but have been ITB for 23 years. I run an enology lab and winemaking consulting business up in Woodinville, Washington and Iā€™ve got my own label called Orr.
Iā€™m always looking for wines to drink that taste more expensive than they are - Iā€™m hoping to learn about some killer values, undiscovered producers or regions that overdeliver from you guys. Of course, itā€™s even cooler when the wines are made by women!
A toast to us!
Erica

2 Likes

And Erica is participating in her first Berserkerday! wheeeeā€¦

her newbie introduction is here. Newbie Intro - Orr Wines - BerserkerDay 12 Newbie Intros - WineBerserkers

So hereā€™s a strange thought: do female winemakers make more ā€˜feminineā€™ wines than male ones?

Hereā€™s another one: with all the wine wine vocabulary available to people, are ā€˜feminineā€™ and ā€˜masculineā€™ so crucial in describing a wine that all other descriptors simply wonā€™t do? Are we all that lazy that we choose to condense a wineā€™s (or even a winemakerā€™s) entire style to a single gendered descriptor based on stereotypes?

2 Likes

Was just reading Ericaā€™s BD Newbie intro ā€¦ welcome aboard! And Yes to Happy Inauguration Day!

And personally I have never found a wine gendered.

Btw, Kathryn ā€¦ I always enjoy the ā€œladyā€ term so long as we donā€™t insist on ladylike behavior or thoughts.

Hi Kathryn,

Another ā€œladyā€ drinker/collector. Looking forward to your posts.
Lori

1 Like

In most of my professional life, the majority of my peers in the wine biz were/are women, but it is really a different dynamic online. Thanks to all for their participation.

1 Like

+1 I wish we had more women in the forum that shared as much as Merrill, Sarah, & Sherri. I really value their thoughts, feedback, & insights.

2 Likes

Hmmm, there are.

Gentle nudge to this thread from last year - curious if there are any more women winemakers who want to chime in and connect with other Berserker women winery owners and collectors.

I know Sonoe from Six Cloves is a woman winemaker /winery owner and her wines will be included in Berserker Day 13.

Belharra and Ser are two California wineries that are also led by women winemakers and I think theyā€™ll both be in BD13 too.

Who else am I missing?

Empowered women empower women!!
Cheers,
Erica

Hi,
I am a woman ITB. Also, would love to see more women on this board. Would just be nice to have an even greater diversity of voices and viewpoints on here.

2 Likes

We, females on the board do get together from time to time via Zoom. Though we are not high in numbers, there are several of us that hang out here regularly! Just look back through this thread, there are a number of female board participants and there are some that are here but may not post very often.

Welcome Sao!

1 Like

I would suggest that fans of female winemakers buy this book. We visited Piemonte in 2017 and Suzanne helped arrange visits to a few of the profiled wineries. Unfortunately my schedule would not fit in to any of her tour dates.

Hello, winery owner here. Been known to lurk, to post, and always grateful for the communityā€¦ thanks for nudging the topic, Erica!

1 Like