Le Cache - Looking for dealer recos, promos

I’m the person in question and, yes, we have slate floor throughout our house. So, no argument that we don’t have the best acoustics for noise dampening, but it’s the same situation for all the appliances in the house. Even though we’ve now put on the sound dampening hood, it’s still about twice as loud as our 48" built-in fridge. (Real fridge, not wine fridge.) The wine cooling unit has a much louder fan sound, in addition to a running, cooling hum, and seems more high pitched to me. (The sound hood has done the most to dampen that high-pitched whine noise.)

As for decibel meter reading … I downloaded a free one for my iPhone, so take actual numbers with a HUGE grain of salt. I just wanted some sort of a measurement beyond the subjective, “it sounds loud to me.” It’s not loud enough to damage hearing, that’s for certain, but in an apples-to-apples comparison (meaning: using the same flawed meter) it was a good bit louder, numbers-wise, than the running fridge and a bit less than the running clothes dryer, if that gives anyone a better perspective.

Filling it did, also, lessen the noise a bit. My original post was when I was running the unit empty, just to make sure it worked.

EDIT: My completely subjective advice if you do go with Le Cache is to go through either a dealer totally local to you, as in you can walk into their showroom easily, or go through Le Cache directly. Le Cache has been responsive, which is in large part, I strongly suspect, due to Mr. LeVine’s posting here, which I only learned about today (thank you Eric!), but my dealer, Vintage Cellars, near San Diego, has not really. Prior to sale, I selected them because A) we had no authorized dealer in our home state and B) when I emailed them asking questions about the units, they responded extremely promptly, while emails to Le Cache through their website went completely unanswered. But, in the end, it was Le Cache direct who helped me, at least I believe, more than Vintage Cellars, despite the fact they were, at least prior to all the issues, extremely nice people to work with.

I think one of the big problems is that Le Cache (and I’d imagine most/all other wine unit companies) use freight companies that have NO clue about the merchandise they’re delivering. It would be like me delivering a piano. All I’d know is that I’d want to not scuff it up. But aside from that, no clue. Same goes for these guys. It would be nice if there was a wine-specific delivery service.

I bought a LeCache 5200 used and would suggest that the size and weight of that particular model presents shipping and installation challenges one likely wouldn’t experience with any of the smaller units. I went through two sets of movers, with the latter changing their estimate from 3 to 4 to 5 men before I could get the damn thing in my house on the first floor. It really is a beast.

Ben and LeCache have been helpful with my follow up questions and in replacing a conked out cooling unit on an expedited basis, so I really believe anyone buying a more manageable sized unit would be fine.

haha…I also have a 5200 and the delivery process had some hiccups but the end result was a beautiful piece of furniture that also happens to hold 600+ bottles of wine. I recently had it moved to our new home and the clearance to get into the house was .5 inches. It was pretty impressive…

The key is to hire movers with grand piano moving experience. I was able to locate some super affordable movers who moved my entire house and their quote was still cheaper than calling the movers for just the Le Cache. I think Ben and team should look into some collaboration with movers with grand piano moving experience. If you can safetly move $teinway pianos, you can probably move the wine cabinet carefully too!

Susan, I understand your cabinet came with an 1800QT cooling unit. Le Cache have noise level data on their website and have measured this unit at 44.5 decibels. They do offer a quieter option, the 1800QTL measured at 40.5 decibels. There is no reason to doubt the data as Le Cache have a lot of happy customers. If your dealer failed to inform you of the quiet option it may be possible for you to persuade them to swap out your cooling unit.

It does seem however that the unit you received is much louder than 44.5 decibels. One possibility is that a bolt or screw was jarred loose during the rough installation and the resulting vibration is causing your problem. Maybe you could try tightening every bolt and screw in the cabinet, particularly the bolts attaching the unit to the cabinet and the screws that attach the sheet metal housing to the cooling unit. Also make sure that all the cabinet support legs are firmly touching the floor.

The quietest QTL cooling unit is shown on their site as having an 80 cu. ft. capacity, but the 5200 looks like it’s about 100 cu. ft. I wonder if they recommend the QT as a result even if the QTL is an option.

Neither Susan nor Le Cache lists the distance at which the sound measurement was taken. That can have a tremendous impact on the reading. Once a distance is agreed on, if I was looking at a potential issue, I’d first take my phone by a shop that builds and repairs speakers or installs systems and do a rough calibration using a calibrated meter.

I’ve heard one of the credenza units with a QT cooling unit and it’s noticeable but not bad. Susan was saying 80db which is pushing power tool volume, Home - No-Airport-Law.

I bought a used vinotemp credenza wine cellar that I keep in my kitchen. I replaced the cooling unit with the 1800QT (vinotemp wasn’t very helpful in selling me a replacement cooling unit, but Le Cache/CellarPro were much more helpful). I notice the sound of the cooling unit when it cools in the kitchen only, but I don’t think it is very loud at all. We have porcelain tile floor and it’s against a CMU wall, so not much noise dampening. I’m very happy with it.

The more I read stories like this the more I’m happy that I went with custom storage. Took a lot of time to build my cellar but did it 95% myself and boy did I learn a lot and was it as fun as hell. Plus there is no noise since it’s a split system. If something went wrong I’d have nobody to blame but myself, but I like overengineering everything I do by 300% so nothing did…

Most likely, although Le Cache do have a cooling unit selection guide on their site and it shows, for the 5200, that if desired cabinet temp is 55°F the QTL is only good for ambient temps up to 70°F. However if you are willing to live with a 60°F cabinet the QTL is good for ambient temps up to 80°F.

The decibel scale is logarithmic so sound intensity at 44 decibels is four times greater than 40 decibels. A 60°F cabinet might well be worth the noise reduction if the cabinet is close to your living space. Disclaimer: I would be fine with that as I already keep my cellar at 60-65°F to help ensure the wine is ready to drink in my lifetime :slight_smile:

Does anyone have any experience with this Le Cache unit? I’m guessing probably not, but worth a shot:

I have that unit. I will give you a full report tomorrow.

Hi,

I have two units (5200 and 3800) in my garage with the XTS AC. I have been very satisfied with them so far. I have been monitoring the temp in both of them with a LaCrosse system and they are performing perfectly.

Re: Delivery. I totally agree with other reviewers. To prevent any issues, I reviewed carefully the delivery and leveling instructions on their website and I directed the crew how to properly level the unit. Good thing I did because the crew was not on top of it. But since I got free delivery (it was a promotion on the LeCache website), it is hard to complain.

That being said I like these units a lot and the CellarPro units are great and can keep the temp even in a SoCal garage. And the service with LeCache has been great.

Cheers,

JF

Excellent, looking forward to hearing abou it. I used to have a 3800 (I think) and it was fantastic. Just don’t have the space for one that size right now.

Piggy-backing on this with interest. Thanks.

While I have direct experience with that unit I’d opt for a “real” Le Cache that utilizes one of their CellarPro cooling units.

That was kind of my thought as well having been pleased with my “real” Le Cache. Just wasn’t sure if this was worth the money or not given my space constrictions.

If you can spring for a real LeCache definitely do so, I would have but out of the budget. This one is more of a refrigerator rather than a true cabinet. It holds consistent temp, humidity in the 50% range. Rolling shelves a plus. Pretty quiet. Overall very nice. I shopped a round a bit and obviuosly went with this one. Other options were an entry level Eurocave that was more expensive and would not have given the flexibiltiy for shelving and storage without spending and addtional couple hundred dollars., but that is a true wine cabinet. Other brands in the mix really couldnt compare to the LeCache. Now truth be told I had a problem with the unit. Long story short, it was resolved in the best way possible. I received the new unit this morning, which was why I was waiting to post, and everything is functioning properly. The customer service was excellent. It took a little time to diagnose the problem but in the end the best decision was made and I am very happy with it. Here is the email I just sent to Ben.

Hello Ben,

I hope I have everyone’s email correct. Please forward this to them if not. I wanted to thank everyone for working to solve the issues I was experiencing with the Loft 1200. My experience with LeCache from initial contact through the resolution of the problematic unit was excellent. I had questions in the beginning based on the majority of wines I tend to purchase (non-standard sized botttles) and how they would fit in the shelving space. I believe Ben took the time to actually try to fit Champagne/Burgundy bottles on the individual shelves and to let me know which would accommodate them. This was helpful in making my decision to purchase the 1200.

Once the order was placed everything moved along exactly as was quoted as far as shipping times and delivery. All good so far. After a few days of running the unit I noticed a couple things that were of concern. My questions/comments were responded to quickly and seemed to fix or explain what was occurring. Unfortunately the problem repeated after a few weeks and seemed to follow a pattern. When it then happened again I got a little frustrated and this time I believe I spoke directly with Keith. we worked through exactly what was happening and he was able to compare how my 1200 was functioning against one in the warehouse. After more discussion we seemed to isolate the problem to a failed cooling fan that was causing excessive heat to build up in the cabinet. Based on my original observations of the units operating it seemed pretty clear that it was an issue from the start and just took a little time to put all the pieces together.

The decision was made to have someone come out to inspect and replace the malfunctioning fan/motherboard. That was perfectly logical next step. A few days later I came home to find the cabinet extremely hot and the compressor clicking when cycling off and on and running louder than before. Once I brought up these points the decision was made to simply ship a replacement unit out immediately.This was the right decision and one that I am not sure other companies would have made without more delay and attempts to repair the equipment. I thank you all for that.

I have the new unit running and there is a complete difference noticeable immediately. The compressor is quiet again. There is airflow through the cooling vents. The cabinet is not hot at all, where before you could not hold your hand against the sides.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I would happily recommend LeCache to anyone looking to buy a wine cabinet.

Sincerely,

Anders Divack

Anders,

Thanks for posting. As far as accommodating burgundy/champagne bottles, how do all the shelves do? I see there is a mag shelf, but it the pic it looks like it’s used to hold the bigger 750’s. Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what sort of issues with the unit did you encounter? I know Ben provides great service as I was pleased with my 3800. Seeing as this is a different animal than the rest of the line, I’d just like to know as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Thanks!
Jeb

Sure. The issue seemed to be a failed cooling fan that was causing the condenser side of the refrigerator to overheat. In doing so I believe it was stressing the compressor causing premature wear and tear. It was still holding good temps in both zones even with the ongoing issue which leads me to believe it is well built. The door is heavy with a good seal. Lighting inside is nice as well. Shelf spacing is decent. There are a few shelves that easily handle burgundy bottles. The other ones will as well but it is very tight. I think only one does not. Any other questions feel free to ask

Good information. My biggest fear is not being able to fit the bottles, unlike the universal racking in the cabinets. Sounds like you’re pretty positive on the unit. That’s good to hear. Any chance that you could post pics of how the tight bottles fit? If that’s a pain in the ass, don’t worry. I just don’t want to end up getting it and only be able to fit half of the capacity. [cheers.gif]