Let's end 2020 with some fun! Controversial opinions- Burgundy is overrated.

300 bottles of de Negoce Pinot Noir are superior to one bottle of DRC. Fight me.

Disclaimer: I have yet to drink a single bottle of de Negoce wine.

1 Like

May be a controversial opinion: overrated and overpriced are two different things. The former has to do with the hype around it, the other a value judgement on whether the price it commands is worth it or not.

Examples of both:

Overrated: you don’t think pinot noir is all that great of a grape despite many others loving it. You’re not a big fan of it at any price point.

Overpriced: You think DRC is great, but don’t think it’s worth $20k/bottle, if it was cheaper you’d buy it.

That said, those two concepts at times do go hand in hand, i.e. hype around a particular wine/regions tends to drive prices up.

1 Like

OP’s lack of a classical education is showing. Burgundy is a minefield.

1 Like

What millennials lack in wisdom they sure make up for in moral vanity. Your ideals are empty platitudes that everyone already agrees with, and your adversary is a straw man that doesn’t exist.

5 Likes

Moral vanity… I’ll take that!

If you can’t find a decent Burgundy for under $100, you’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

I have too little experience with Burgundy to make any direct comments, but anything that becomes big and famous becomes overvalued. The more famous it is, the more ‘people who really don’t know anything about it’ start to become part of the demand and obviously as the demand goes up, the price goes up. The higher a percentage of the people buying it that fit into that category the less the price has to do with the quality. But even that is subjective.

For bourbon Pappy is the obvious. People who know nothing about bourbon are buying $4,000 bottles for celebrations because of the name. Pappy earned the respect by being one of the best bourbons out there, but those who know this drove the price to only about 30% of what it is today, the other 70% was driven by people who couldn’t tell the difference between pappy and Old Weller Antique. Being overrated or overpriced doesn’t mean its not very high quality.

2 Likes

David, that’s the story of my life so you are very likely right.

Joseph you are spot on! Though I’ll stick with Angels Envy all day. Pappy I found quite harsh.

Craft beer has gone way overboard with hops. Enough already.

4 Likes

This is a fact!

Is this why people are regularly flipping Treehouse and Monkish cans for 2-3x the release price?

1 Like

agreed. This is so obvious, how could it be controversial?

1 Like

I believe that Patrick said it best… Moral Vanity. [snort.gif]

Is Caymus the most overrated AND overpriced wine of all time? Maybe Ace of Spades takes that crown

1 Like

I need to drink some Burgundy before I can share any opinions on it.

1 Like

Just take a some new world Pinot and water it down. Basically the same thing for less. :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

Kidding… Kind of…

So does Caymus neener

1 Like

Hey, as a flipper, I fully support any and all people willing to pay 2-3x release price of anything and everything. Anybody need a PS5?

1 Like

Take it to commerce corner…geezzz [rofl.gif]

OP doesn’t met the minimum post count for hot takes. :wink:

1 Like