Let's end 2020 with some fun! Controversial opinions- Burgundy is overrated.

Self [smileyvault-ban.gif] lol

I think it’s a great privilege not to like Burgundy. Heck, sometimes I wish I didn’t like wine, period.

2 Likes

Burgundy sucks. Pass it on…

I think it was Fred Sanford who said if first.

“You ain’t even a dumb dummy, you’re just a plain dummy…”

1 Like

Hit me right in the feels… Lol

The Curmudgeon would have been all over this one. I miss Bob.

1 Like

I think Burgundy is possibly underrated, especially if you look at critics’ scores. On the other hand, most modern Bordeaux, CA Cabs, WA reds and other wines of this ilk are way overrated.

1 Like

Barolo is undrinkable until it hits the 30 year mark (or so). Fight me!

1 Like

They had a leader… No wonder they somewhat tame today.

No you didn’t … Lol… Of all the nasty comments this one hurts the most.

People have been saying that Burgundy is overrated or overvalued for the 30 some odd years I’ve been in this hobby. Heck, I probably said it 25 years ago. However back then I had not tried much burgundy my palate had not tasted broadly and deeply enough to get to where it is today. I’m certainly not saying it has to be the best or anything for anyone. I am always in the let 1,000 flowers bloom camp in life. I know people who have been into wine for 30 years and would say the same thing. They are in the minority however for whatever reason based on my LT wino friends.

Personally I would agree Burgundy it is over valued, as are many things in life, per my own marginal utility. Overrated I would take issue with. Of the top 20 wines I have ever had the majority are from Burgundy but far from all. Maybe half are Burgundy. There are many fine wines from Burgundy well under $100 as there are from across the globe. I personally rarely spend the coin on Burgundy today other than a simple quaffer under $30. I’ll confess that if I want a daily chard fix I’d head to the Macon as I’d prefer that flavor profile at that price vs. most anything else. And personally I find very few new world pinots I like. So while I generally don’t agree with the substitution argument across disparate grapes, I do find Cru Bojo scrathes that itch reasonably well for me.

1 Like

that sounds supiciously like “there are many fine people on both sides”

:popcorn:

2 Likes

[soap.gif]

1. Alsace is under-valued and unappreciated

2. Premox is affecting more than just Burgundy

3. Global-Warming is still a problem… deadhorse

Overrated and higher priced are two different things. People are not idiots. In most regions of the world, whether we are talking about California Cabernet, Egon Mueller or Keller Rieslings, 1st growth Bordeauxs, Yquem, or top flight Burgundy, wines that are high priced are high priced because people want to buy and drink them.

Brian, do you buy Egon Mueller’s wines and if not would you if they were priced the same as Grunhaus?

If all red wines from the Saumur were priced at $20, what would you buy first? Does anyone have an answer other than Clos Rougeard?
Is Salon overrated because it has a higher price?

Are Gallo Hearty Burgundy and Two Buck Chuck underrated because they are inexpensive? Is that all the OP is drinking.

Nobody has to buy Burgundy. I wish fewer people would. Then, the price would go down.

I agree that Burgundy is over rated. Yes, some of the wines are glorious, but the inconsistency is absolutely maddening. I have no idea how Burgundy can be so inconsistent and simultaneously so expensive. Charging thousands for White Burgs that have a 20% premox rate is crazy to me. In my experience, I’ve been at least mildly disappointed with half the Burgundy I’ve purchased. I’m not buying wines at the very top echelon, but to me, a truly great wine region should be able to produce consistently satisfying wine at all price points (excepting the very low end; everywhere produces cheap plonk after all). So, in my opinion, even though Burgundy produces some great wine, it is disqualified from being a truly great region, and the great wine it does produce, is insanely expensive. I think Burgundy is both overvalued and overrated. 9 out of 10 times I’d take a Champagne, Bordeaux, Barolo, or Alsatian riesling over Burgundy at any price point; $20, $50, $100, $500.

And just to add to the controversy, I fell the same way about Napa!

it’s like the blind men and the elephant. Depends on which part of the beast you are grabbing.

I posited on a thread earlier this year that terroir is mostly bullshit and subjective. Needless to say, it didn’t go over well. I was eventually convinced that it’s not all bullshit, but I still say that it’s subjective and not quantifiable.

Happy new year!

It’s like an argument I once witnessed on a kibbutz. 12 people, 43 opinions.

Burgundy is dead at retail

Overrated is the wrong wood. The correct word is overpriced.

You should read the great philosopher Yogi Berra who once said about a restaurant “Nobody Goes There Anymore, It’s Too Crowded.”