Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

Let me know if your in or near Chicago post COVID and we will take care of many off that list.

But I HAVE had a wine slushie!

With that invitation I may come up regardless of COVID champagne.gif

Krugsicle…FU DRINK!!

One trip to a certain steakhouse in Tampa and you can knock the last three off that list in one fell swoop, and without undue expense.

You are going to give him a corked wine? How will you make him pay for it. [snort.gif]

Romanee Conti. I have had all the first growths, every other Grand Cru Burgundy and several wines from DRC, but not the big boy.

I could name a number of California cults and other things I have not tried, but this is the only wine I really care about that I have not tried.

Mine, not much different from a lot of the group:

Had a first growth
Had screagle/scarecrow/blah blah blah (not particularly worried about this one)
Had any DRC/Chambertin/“top-end” (in price) Burgundy
Had Bordeaux older than 1982
Had Barolo/Barbaresco older the 1954
Had Madeira from the 1800’s
Had 30+ year old champagne (top of the list of the ones listed that I need to check off)
Bought a full case of a single wine

They should.

Lots of truth there! At Bern’s I’ve had quite a few wines between 1916 and 1926, plus some DRCs old and young. Madiera dating back to the Civil War. Port over 100 years old. D’Yquem from the 1930s. Etc. It was like a goldmine before. Not the same now but still quite fun.

Had many of the wines listed upstream, but the two that I have not had of the big boys wines, but which are on my short list to take down, are:

Gentaz, Cotie Rotie

Le Pin, Pomerol.

My business partner and I are winding down a side-business that has failed and we have joked about taking the last few grand in the account to buy a Le Pin. Funny enough, we kicked-started the business in Tampa About 7 years ago, and celebrated at Bern’s with a 1947 Haut Bailly and a 1961 Pavie. That was a killer night.

I have not had Jayer.

Petrus is Petrus. It’s sensational. The First Growth are Firsts for a reason, and they normally shine that way, as does Ausone and Cheval Blanc. I’ve had sensational bottles of most of these, including some Ausones from the 1950s, and rarely had I had a dud. Even in so-called off-years, I had a great 1973 Latour recently, and for my birthyear, a 1965 Mouton that was lovely, and it came from a shitty year1. They are Firsts for a reason.

I’ve had lots of Cults. Can’t say that I chase them at all. They are always interesting to drink, but never move me like the special Bordeaux above. Not even Screagle or Harlan.

Some wines that really move me are distinct and quirky. Juge is that. It’s a unicorn now, and I’m lucky to have stumbled on it before the run-up, but if you can find it, it’s worth every penny of what you will pay today. It’s singular.

I’ll give him a corked first growth prior to 1971 that was rated 100 points. Knocking 4 off the list at once. But … I’ll bring a back up. :slight_smile:

More like I am the master of my wine universe. Other than the virtually unobtainable (e.g, DRC RC) I have been privileged to try just about anything I can think of.

Yeah add Jayer to my list as well.

Just out of curiosity, what does a bottle of Jayer run today?

And can it even be found?

[winner.gif]

neener

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/henri+jayer/1/usa-fl-y

Isn’t there a complete vertical of Cros Parantoux, en magnum, on offer at the next Acker Hong Kong auction?

You mentioned Gentaz, one of the few unicorns I actually used to own in (modest) quantity, before they were unicorns. The last bottle I ever opened, I brought to Florida when visiting an old wine board friend in St. Pete while on a college visit tour with my daughter over a decade ago. If only I’d known you then…

Today I would do naughty things, ten years ago, I barely knew what it was. Lucky you, my friend!

I think the biggest issue with jayer these days is authenticity. Followed by provenance. 3rd on the list is availability! :joy::joy: