Levet fans - please help me understand

Another (brilliant) resource:

1 Like

Chris, Iā€™m assuming you already know this but theyā€™re repped here by Burgundy-Direct. Prices are a bit higher than the US, but close enough that Iā€™ve bought the last few vintages.

Thanks Chris. Yes, Danielā€™s a friend.

I havenā€™t had the 06, but I had 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, and 11 in the past 1-2 years.

I thought the 04 and 08 in particular were drinking nicely. I also immensely enjoyed the 05, although I agree itā€™s young. I think the 07 and 09 needed more time at this point.

One of our participants brought a 1998 Levet during one of our local Northern Rhone wine dinners last year.
That wine left a very positive lasting impression on me.

'04 Levet is grand! Drinking well, as are most '04s from the Northern Rhone.

We didnā€™t have '04 Jamet C-R during that dinner. Any thoughts if it is drinking well?

I got a great education for sure.

I had a bottle in April (recent release from the domaine, with the new label). Wide open and highly enjoyable [cheers.gif]

Thanks. Good to know that itā€™s in line with the 2004s that we sampled. Plus, one thing with Jamet is that they usually have a very long good drinking plateau.

Robert, is Les Journaries as wild and feral as La Chav or more tamed? Absolutely loved La Chavs I tried, but havenā€™t had Les Journaries yet so was curious.

The Journaries tends to be less muscular, though itā€™s still a big wine.

Thank you for this. We just had a similar request/complaint from a user in Denmark, so we decided to combine the entries as appropriate on CellarTracker. For the moment, we have combined these under the US names with the European names as hidden search terms. If there are complaints or duplicates spring up we will look at the US / Europe name which is klunky but tends to put these situations to bed. I really wish wineries would have the same name for the same grape juice around the worldā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks Greg. Rule of 15 for Les Journaries as well then?

Happy to help! Iā€™m a big fan of CellarTracker so nice to give back for a change (other than with my wallet, I mean) :slight_smile: Thanks for all the work!

1 Like

Iā€™m generally a believer that most Rhones are best at 15 years, but if you have more than a few bottles, no harm in opening a Journaries earlier. The nice thing about Levet is that, at least for now, they remain reasonably priced.

Does anyone know if recent Levets are particularly feral? I have some in the cellar, but havenā€™t tasted any.

I have room for one more visit when Iā€™m in N. Rhone and canā€™t decide (I think Iā€™m between Levet or mixing it up with some benchmark Condrieu at Vernay).

I have heard that they have become less feral, perhaps from15ish vintage and on. Again canā€™t personally confirm but the '19 base cote rotie I had last year was not feral at all, which was disappointing.

1 Like

Had a 2014 Maestria and 2020 Maestria last year; both clean as a whistle.

Agree with the wines being clean today. I have had only a small handful of younger Levets - not any of the older ones - and theyā€™ve been completely clean.

Theyā€™ve also felt somewhat modern and polished, all showing somewhat noticeable new oak influence. Not much, ie. theyā€™re not gloopy oak monsters (like some producers in the region), but to me, none of the wines Iā€™ve tasted have felt particularly old school Northern RhĆ“ne Syrah. Theyā€™ve been good wines, but nothing that would blow my socks off.