Los Angeles

Yep. We were charged 250 for six bottles

As long as people keep flocking to certain ā€œinā€ hip places, $50 isnā€™t going to make a dent at all in their reservations. Frankly, how many people bring wine to a place like Bazaar/Saam in the first place? Or care about $20 vs. $35 vs. $50 for corkage?

Bruce

La Cachette Bistro is $1/bottle corkage on Sundays, no limit.

SAAM might be able to get away with it, though there arenā€™t many sold-out top-end places in LA these days. Iā€™d imagine even they have some empties if they are open six days, which they might not be. I like Bazaar/Saam but just wonā€™t go as frequently at $35&$50. I still havenā€™t gone to La Botte which doesnā€™t allow BYOB, even though itā€™s nearby. I realize that Iā€™m in the minority, but like I said not many places would be wise to turn off even 5% of their customer base. The problem is itā€™s hard for a place to realize the reasons that, and extent to which, people donā€™t come.

Johnā€“Well, Iā€™m with you, and I generally wonā€™t go to a place that has a $50 corkage fee. But I also realize that there are some places (even high-end places) that arenā€™t really interested in catering to people like me who want to bring in a nice bottle of wine, even if that means not filling an otherwise empty table.

Bruce

Out of business :frowning:

Wow, havenā€™t checked in on this thread in a while!!

The place is good, not fantastic. THat being said, the service is absolutely top-notch and the prices are great. I brought a few older Ridges to a dinner with Family and the staff (especially the owner) were amazing.

Vegan (and thus unlikely to be of interest to many board members), but Cru in Silver Lake is $0 corkage.

Blairs in Silverlake didnā€™t charge any corkage the last few times we have been there.

Luggage Room in pasadena is no corkage first bottle and $5 for the rest

It is their standard policy as they said ā€œno corkageā€ when I called to ask. Nice move in my opinion!

Waterloo & City in Culver City is $15

Bellini Osteria in Westlake Village-great food, $ 10 corkage. Giddy Up.

Elements Kitchen in Pasadena has free corkage on Wednesday. Not sure what they charge the rest of the week.

STK in West Hollywood is $35ā€¦

Follieroā€™s in Highland Park is $5 bottle

Edendale Restaurant in Silverlake is $20 bottle (recently raised it)
Blairā€™s in Silverlake is No Corkage

So today Mr. Fu claims on the big board that some joint in Pasadena has a $2 corkage charge and bitches about those bringing in Louis Martini crap, etc (as would I, if anybody asked)ā€¦Well, I like good food that I donā€™t have to prepare, and I certainly can ignore the heathens amongst us, soā€¦

Any places on the west side serving a DECENT meal with a $5 corkage or less???

Iā€™m all ears!

I think he was talking about Cafe Bizou. I believe they have a location in Santa Monica. Be prepared for incredibly mediocre foodā€“but at least the portions are large. (Sorry, old joke.)

I go to Bizou every once in a while since I live very close and can walk. Hereā€™s my convoluted thinking. Corkage is only $2, whereas $15 is normal these days. So I save $13. A meal costs $23 (++) but with my $13 saved on corkage works to $10. If I bring two bottles, theyā€™re paying me to eat there :slight_smile: :slight_smile:.
The food is pretty mediocre, the service and room are decent. There are certain things that are much better to order than others. I think the spicy chicken pasta, the lobster pasta, the salmon, and the au poivre are decent. The wed? special lamb shank is good. They offer a simple $1 salad or soup with an entree so in reality one can do it for $18-20 (++). I wouldnā€™t drive too far out of the way to get there, and would only go with BYOB. But it is a serviceable place to bring multiple bottles.