Los Angeles

the food sucks. Don’t bother. Obviously frozen seafood, meat entrees with a side of steamed carrots. Bleh. Not even worth going to if corkage was free. bottom 3 worst offline food I’ve had.

Ok; it’s off the list…now I need another to be the first on the “Less than $10 West Side Corkage…With Decent Food…List.”

Consider that Fu doesn’t like Providence either, and might not have even been to Bizou Santa Monica. neener

Actually, some like I said SOME things at Bizou can be decent, but not all, and the value has to be of consequence. But I definitely would agree, it is not GOOD overall. For $20 you can try yourself.
It’s pretty tough to find $5 and under corkage, esp. on the Westside and moreso with non-ethnic.
For good food I’d hit Josie on Monday for no cork. fee night. I also think Akasha is a decent place, considering no fee Sunday. Otherwise it’s pricey for the quality, & small plates are best.
La grande Orange and Manchego are free. Fritto Misto is $3? per person. Alejo’s in the Marina is $3-5 and has a decent pizza. Thai Dishes and India’s Oven are $5. I think Nanbankan is $7

Thaks much for the time and thoughts, John. Didn’t know about Josie’s Mon nite deal, nor the Akasha Sun deal. Worth checking for sure…and possibly Bizou… [snort.gif]

UPDATES:

(new) Ink - Hollywood - $25/btl, no limit, waived for each btl purchased
Blair’s now $0
Grace - closed
Madame Matisse no longer serving dinner
Osteria Mamma - Hollywood - $10

I heard rumors (a while ago) that Grace would be re-opening in a downtown location. Any news on that? I was extremely sad when they shuttered-up – easily in my Top 5 L.A. restos.

Those rumors are still around. Grace was one of our favorites too and one of the few for which we would drive from MB to WeHo. The good news is that Fraser just partnered with Mike Zislis to open the Strand House in MB. Best looking place on the south bay and so far it has been very good on the food & service side. the bad news is that corkage is $30!

Well, that corkage sucks, but it’s nice to know Fraser is working in town again … and on the westside, ta boot!! Do you know if the somm. from Grace (sorry, can’t recall his name right now) followed Fraser to the Strand House?

B - I don’t think Eduardo is at the Strand House. Fraser has not abonded his downtown interest. Remain patient as these things take forever.

My sincerest apologies for abandoning this thread for so long! Now that the wedding is over and I’m settled into my job, I’ll have time once again to keep this list updated.

All posts have been updated to the list. Please keep the posts coming so that we can have the most current info.

Many thanks!

Hmmmm, too bad Eduardo isn’t at the Strand House — I like him. As for patience: I have 2.5 years of patience in me, then I’ll start gettin’ antsy!!!

Thanks for the scoop. [cheers.gif]

Patina downtown is corkage free on Tuesdays.
Bandera is $0 corkage for the first 2 bottles; after that $20 I believe.
Twice I have taken in 5 to 7 bottles to Fraiche with no complaints.
Paul

Update to the list. I was at Bandera’s restaurant last Sunday (4/15/12). We were advised that as of 4/2/12 Bandera’s will now be charging a $15 corkage per bottle. Wonder if the other Houston chains will follow suit.

Thx
A

Wow, that’s too bad - Gulfstream, presumably, would be the same, as they are also in the same restaurant family.

That would be a bummer. The entire Hillstone group of restaurants was corkage free. I wonder what the scoop is?

Massive global economic meltdown?

Thanks for “manning” the list Poppy.
The Foundry (on Melrose) is now $0 corkage fee. Nice!!

still think Josie’s on Mondays night is a great deal…

Chablis is now five a bottle. Cafe Cordial across the street from Bizou in Sherman Oaks is 7.50 before entertainment and fifteen after music begins.

Ink started at $15 per, then $20. Last night six of us went and they told us that the new policy is max two bottles per table, regardless of size. I hate this rule (at any place). How do two bottles for two people equate to two bottles for eight people?
I will say that Ink mgmt. was very cool about not forcing the issue this time as we called ahead and weren’t told, and it seems that they still do the buy one, waive one thing. They also said that they will welcome wine dinners, but an “arrangement” will have to be worked out ahead of time.