Louis Roederer`s newest project: NV Roederer 242 Collection

A month ago vivino had a retailer selling these at 44.97…stole them with my first ever order for $36

I should have pulled the trigger! Fantastic price!

I didn’t get excited with my first bottle of this.

1 Like

Same. Enjoyed it well enough, happy to have it poured for me or off an otherwise troublesome list, but nothing interesting enough to add to the cellar. I’ve been puzzled by the glow.

William Kelly thinks very highly of the 2013 and 2014 vintage Brut.

I’m just not sure in what situation I’d drink this. I can’t imagine a circumstance I’d open this over the diebolt Vallois bdb or cuvée saint Anne.

I’ve been slowly narrowing my champagne holdings to stuff we usually drink.

1 Like

Well those wines and the Roederer are nothing alike, so I suppose if you are narrowing food choices as well as wine choices…

The 242 has the 2017 vintage as the base.

Despite all the spin about the wine, it is still an NV with the bulk of wine from a weak vintage. Gave it a hard pass.

Agree. I tried this a month or so ago. It’s pretty good and I’m happy to drink it. But the hype is outpacing what’s in the glass IMO.

Nothing alike except being non-vintage champagne?

How about instead of the 242 I drink Cristal instead, or are those also nothing alike?

Is that regular pricing or private client pricing?

Well since you seem to be able to afford it. Go ahead.

I guess it’s a matter of variety, or not.

I like opening new stuff, and this was rewarding enough. champagne.gif

1 Like

These aren’t even in the same stratosphere. How is this even a comparison? If you have the means to drink a case of Cristal per month, then good on you. The rest of the poors will be happy with a sub-$50 NV sparkler.

Just tried it for the first time today at La Fete and count me among the fans.

My notes read:
Very nice, pure, lovely, not overpowering but a real sense of elegance. A-

The 2012 Starck was the star of the table but it’s also nearly twice the price.

Great call, I LOVE the Starck! It might be my favorite Roderer, but that’s likely recency bias.

You prompted me to plan to open one tonight! champagne.gif

I quoted two similarly priced wines and they apparently weren’t similar enough for mr. Bueker.

I’m generally not a fan of big house champagne at this price point with the possible exception of billecart. I’d much rather drink any number of growers; ployez-jacquemart, diebolt Vallois, Chartogne Tallet, RL Legras, Paul bara, etc.

With the amount of champagne we drink (which isn’t that much, maybe 3-4 cases per year at home, more when entertaining) we could drink exclusively grand marque TTC, but it’s not really what I prefer to open on random weeknights.

Ha! Twas today! Will we get a post on your experience? I hope so.

Opened one of these tonight. Needed a good 30-45 mins of air, but after that, it hit it’s stride wonderfully. A superb QPR (at $44) and glad I bought more than a couple. I believe these will age nicely.

If I had one complaint, and a minor one at that, it would be the acidity felt a little out of balance, but wasn’t terribly distracting. It will integrate much better with time, no doubt.

1 Like

I agree other than the acidity a little out of balance, this wine is great!