Mangos

You cannot touch the MANGO!

1 Like

For many years there was this Chinese restaurant down in Fort Collins CO that really focussed on ripe mangos in their entrées, and I always would order Szechwan chicken or shrimp with mango - it was so damn tasty. They also served up a hot and sour soup that was so flavorful. About three or four years ago the owner called it quits, after decades of service to the public. I really miss that place.

would love to try them. What markets? I’ll prune mine to reasonable size, but no worries for years yet.

Oops - I was thinking of ataulfo. I Haven’t seen alphonso.

Alan - during the season roughly 6 weeks a year - Wong’s family farms sells incredible mangos. https://www.wongfood.com/

Roughly $6/lb but the best mangos I’ve had

They go to Pasadena, Hollywood, Santa Monica farmers markets but also do deliveries in season.

Random thoughts:

Spelling as mangos or mangoes is correct, surprisingly to me.

I would eat more mangi if they weren’t such a pain to cut.

Have you ever had a late-season mango nectarine? It is a nectarine variety with a mango-like texture. Delish.

3 ways How to Cut a Mango (3 different ways!) | Ambitious Kitchen
I used to score the skin in 4 lines and then peel the skin off. Note these were not the best mangoes.
I was going to buy some mangoes from a FL exotic fruit vendor but $60 for 6 is too much.

yes. I’ve talked to Jason. He’s holding my next mango tree. Thanks.

I used to subscribe to “Mango of the month club” which promised exotic mangos but canceled when I started getting the same supermarket varieties at stupid prices.

1 Like

Other top mangos (can’t get used to mangi): https://mangoes4u.com/blogs/mangoes/10-best-varieties-of-mangoes-in-the-world

as a fellow mango lover who’s travelled extensively through India and SE Asia during multiple mango seasons, I agree with the top 2 rankings on this list–definitely the sweetest and creamiest that I’ve ever tasted.

i’m also a fan of this, for making lassis or as a toping on ice cream, etc.: Alphonso Mango Puree, Certified Organic - 16 oz – Pure Indian Foods

2 Likes

just ordered. Thanks.

From pureIndianfoods.com: “India is to mangoes as Bordeaux is to wine…
…There’s nothing better than a great Alphonso mango.”
~ David Karp, Los Angeles-based fruit expert
“Many times in my life, I’ve eaten something that is supposedly the prime exemplar of its category—the best banana, the best anchovy, the best burrito—and I’ve found the quality differential to be subtle; I’ve learned accordingly to temper my expectations with these kinds of things. But the one time I was able to eat an Alphonso mango, at the diminutive fruit stand at the luxury London department store Harrod’s, I was blown away. I remember being amazed that fruit that good could actually exist. The flesh was a deep and uniform marigold color, completely devoid of the stringy fibers that sometimes plague supermarket mangoes. The aroma and taste was not qualitatively different from the mangoes I had known, but intensified manifold, as if the souls of ten mangoes had been concentrated in just one fruit. It was the Platonic ideal of a mango, this Alphonso mango.”
~ Myles Karp (Source)

I’ll try some too !

I used to work with a lot of Indian nationals. They would bring me mangos when they were in season. They were an order of magnitude better than any mango I had eaten previously. The season is relatively short but you should be able to get them at an Indian market. According to these guys, there were several markets in the Chicago area that had them.

Around Devon and California.

I’ve had Pirie and Haden mangos from my days in Hawai’i. I’m partial to the Haden. Never tried the Alphonso. mangos — Plant it Hawaii

Let me know if you find a source.
I’ll do the same for you.

JulianEldridge wrote: ↑Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 pm
https://www.pureindianfoods.com/product … ango-puree

Mango politics - bring on the Alphonso smugglers.

http://wilmingtonjournal.com/mango-no-go-us-ban-on-indian-mangoes-continues/