Marcassin

+1 - Jennifer rocks.

$85-$100 per bottle, depending on the specific wine.

I don’t get it, what is the “pain of dealing with them”? Other than not knowing when the next offering will come out, I’ve always had very good experiences in dealing with them.

It’s probably a lot easier for the local folks. But I ordered from them last year to ship to Texas. They had me call and get shipping rates. I wrote a check and mailed it in. Then they said the amount was too much, they voided my check and they transferred the wine to Wine Country shipping. So then they charged me CA sales tax and I had to write a new check and mail it in. I gave up.

That sucks. Again, I strongly suggest Aubert.

Candidly, doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me, more like they made a mistake. Shipping is complicated for small operations and I wouldn’t hold one flub against them.

Ummm, a small operation should have it much more dialed in that this… if you price your wines at their price point you better bring amazing customer service. The days of feeling privileged to have Marcassin are over…

I’ve been treated rudely by more than one winery and they have lost my business (Araujo when they were at their pinnacle comes to mind). Not defending Marcassin in particular as I have no dog in this fight, just seems a bit harsh given the appearance of it being a simple mistake, but we all have our tolerance levels.

There was an offering to a new wave of folks last summer. But it hardly came without qualifications, nor did it do anything to dispel a long waiting list. It said, should your check be cashed, that after the 2013 chardonnay you wouldn’t get anything for 3 more vintages minimum.

1 Like

No complaints on my end. Surprised by the nature of the complaint as in my opinion, rather than complain about an honest winery who calls to say a check was for too much, one should praise it.

But, with the mail in check business model I would think it easier to just raise the price by a few dollars to a price that includes shipping to avoid any issues by simplifying the math.

What is the business benefit to the “mail-in-check” model?

That’s an interesting point of view. I was one of those people who received the offer and sent in my check immediately for my entire allocation and had it granted. However, I read the letter as if your check is cashed, you will be moved up officially, and that after the ‘13 vintage, you will receive every offer but that it will be more difficult for new people to receive offers since more spots will have been taken by the people who moved up.

I get the impression that they prefer to keep things lower tech and run their company on their terms. And the costs of having a first class wine e-commerce web app is higher than you’d think. And there are ‘costs’ associated with understanding how the e-commerce web app really works, and how well it meshes with how your business operates, which is often under appreciated…for example, there are a number of sizable companies that allowed their business model shift because they adopted SAP…probably still a good/reasonable decision, but still interesting.

Eric, thanks for that explanation. I’m in management consulting and I sometimes do work for clients around payment processing, so your explanation absolutely makes sense. In my head I’d think that the “mail in check” model would have to add so much friction that e-commerce would have to be cheaper, but I guess especially at a smaller scale that’s not always correct.

1 Like

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my memory had the aubert wines about $100 and the marcassin wines about $125…again this is just from memory, but I do buy them both.

Have you ever bought marcassin direct?

The Aubert chards ranged $85-$100 in the last 2017 release in January. If memory serves me correctly, I was offered Marcassin at $150 per bottle upon release.

maybe in the fall?

Of which year?

Very funny Ron

Has anyone seen/received the 2013 chardonnay offer? I was just browsing WineBid and found 31 bottles available at auction.