Martinelli & Turley Zins

Mark, yes I agree, the G&L is quite nice.

I quite like the Martinelli pinots. They are in a style, sure, but so are other ripe Pinot producers like Swan. You canā€™t argue with the terroir - they have access to some top Sonoma Coast fruit.

There is a mailing list, however we do have Giuseppe & Luisa Zin in the Tasting Room. We just tasted the 2014 G&L blind with some other swanky Zin. In house we have been pretty excited about this wine since December. Not surprised by Parkerā€™s 96 today.

Mike,

Have you tasted any recent vintages of Jackass Hill? Iā€™ve always wanted to pick one up and see what it would be like with some bottle age, the price tag of $95 has definitely given me pause in case it was just a style of Zinfandel I would enjoy. Could you add any perspective/opinion?[/quote]

For clarification, at Martinelli, there is Jackass Hill, $120 (usually about 50-60 cases), and Jackass Vineyard, $95 (usually about 250 cases) and in current release for Spring 16. I have notes going back to September 2009 from the release tastings we do here but it would take a while to compile them. Essentially both of these sites date back to the last dozen years of the 19th century with Vineyard preceding the Hill by 4 - 5 years. All the other single vineyard Zinfandel from the Estate are all grafted from these vines, but they represent some of the oldest vines in Sonoma and the profiles typically offer more evolved red, blue and black fruits with nuances of spice. The sweet spot for our Zins seems to be in the 5 - 9 year range but I have had some at 12 and beyond that were still solid. Many vintages are pretty wound up when we first taste but evolve over the following couple months. Consistently they are the most sought after Zinfandel we make.

In addition to my sig block, I am Director of Sales at Martinelli Winery.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification Doug, it was late when I wrote that somehow I attached ā€œHillā€ at the end twice even. I wish I had caught your reply prior to the recent offering, tempted to pick up one before the offer closes tonight. I had a '13 Three Sisters recently wished I had not opened that so soon. As consumer who lives about 5 minutes from Martinelli I keep wanting to try more Martinelli so Iā€™m glad to know there are a few people out there with some insights and perspective. Cheers!

On a side noteā€¦

Arista Winery, which is a major up-and-comer in my opinion, makes a single vineyard Zinfandel from the Banfield Vineyard which is the adjacent vineyard to Martinelliā€™s Jackass Vineyard and is stunning. I think it actually used to be a part of the same vineyard until a family dispute led to a fence being built through the middle of it (old Italians donā€™t let grudges die easily). This wine is not available much on three tier, so youā€™d have to go to the winery to grab some which is a blessing in and of itself. Matt Courtney (formerly of Marcassin) is brewing up some enticing elixirs over there and theyā€™re starting to get some really nice (and deserved) press. Iā€™d recommend giving these guys a shot if youā€™re in the area.

The Carlisle RRV Zin Old Vine 2013 is about half Banfield (Martinelli Rd Vineyard).

The Woodenhead Winery also has some '09(?) Martinelli Road Zin left.

I think Old World Winery may still do something from the property, too.

Personally, I think Arista is a strong candidate for yummy Zin from the vineyard, but you have to join up ASAP.

Of the Martinelli Zinfandel wines, Vignetto di Evo and G&T are reliable. I only had the Jackass Vineyard Zinfandel once (2004), and I enjoyed it, even at 16.9% abv.

Just finished a 2000 Turley Hayne Vineyard zin. Night 1: Popped cork and drank. Was a little tight. Pretty good but uninspiring. Night 2 and 3: Opened beautifully. Nice fruit, a bit of cherry, good balance with nice long finish. Maybe a little light on tannins. Seems like it need time to breath/ open. I love these wines.

Always looking to buy Jackass Hill. Send me a PM if anyone has any for sale

I love both wines though Martinelli zins need a little more time. I have been a big fan of T-vine Black Sears vineyard easily ranks as one of the best zins.

Blue Slide Ridge Pinot was their big dog. Clearly not a zin, but was THE wine to get from the Martinelli portfolio, especially given Marcassin releasing a BSR.

Is T-Vine still around? I really enjoyed their wines in my early years (back when my palate was more oriented towards bigger fruit), but I canā€™t even remember the last time I saw one somewhere.

That is compounded by the near-impossibility of searching the name T-Vine, whether on a message board, or in stores, or on WS.

Chris, it looks like they are. I stopped by for a quick tasting in 2016 when driving through the area.

Tonight I opened a 1999 Turley - Turley Estate Zin. Lovely. After 20 years the jolly rancher fruit bomb has faded. Now yummy fruit and a nice long finish. Maybe black cherry? May not be profound but accessible and a pleasure to drink. I typically enjoy the wine night 2. I will be back with those notes. Cheers.

Paul,
Let me know if you need a few more bottlesā€¦ :slight_smile:

About T Vine: Greg Brown, the owner and winemaker, is no longer with us.

T Vine does have a website. I donā€™t know who is in charge.

I was at Martinelli three weeks ago; mainly tasted chards as I regularly buy them, but also some pinots. Could not resists the zins. Back around 2000 I was a buyer of the cheaper Jackass, but kind of lost interest in all the high octane zins from that time period. One of my friends here in Vegas had a huge zin collection, but now he has moved to Georgia. So Iā€™m back in the zin hunt for my own cellar.

Just a few impressions of wines at the tasting room:

2017 Giuseppe & Louisa; this clocked in at 16.4% but actually came across as fruity and a bit light; very easy drinking
2016 Vingeto di Evo; ponderous wine over 16%; a glass of this is plenty
2012 Martinelli Road; 17.3%; not for the faint of heart

I have not had any recent vintages of the Jackass Vineyard or Jackass Hill

They were also pouring some big syrahs in the tasting room:

2017 Terra Felice; 15.7% and sort of the entry level syrah at $45
2013 Chicoā€™s Hill; 15.8% ; nice wine but $98

Hi Peter. I have plenty of old aged Zin. I would be happy to share some anytime you like.

Hi James. I have an abundance of older Turly and Martinelli Zins. Should you care, I would be happy to sell some. Let me know.

1 Like

I have had the opportunity to open a few of my aged Zins over the holidays. Here are some notes.
1999 Marietta Angeli Cuvee: My surprise wine of the holidays. After being stood up then decanted for a couple hours, I brought the wine to a post Christmas party. Always a bit scary as you never really know what comes out of an older bottle. I loved the wine. Austere, earthy, balanced, a little spice and plenty of fruit. Bravo!
1999 Jackass Vineyard: Fruit bomb is gone. Balanced earthy Zin. Works great with food. A pleasure to drink.
1999 Turley Estate Zin: Opened Dec 22 (first night notes above): After being opened almost a week, I had a glass while watching a movie. The wine was a pleasure. Great fruit, balance, spice and finish. I generally like these older Zins more after they have a been open for a day or more (I use vacuvin).