Martinelli & Turley Zins

CHARBONO: Notes on a 2001 Turley, Tofanelli Charbono. A total pleasure. Nice rich fruit. But not fruit bomb. Balanced and food friendly. Great finish. What a great surprise. 19 years of age but not at all old. Bravo!

My cellar has a lot of Turley and Martinelli Zins from 1997 through 2007. I love these big rich wines and would love to find other fans to share them with. Let me know if you would like to attend or help organize a tasting of these wines in the NYC area. Or if you might be interested in buying some. I love them but, I have way to much. I would supply all of the wines and ask everyone to pitch in.

I am curious what you would pair with the wines?

I am not great at pairing ideas. I enjoyed it as a sipping wine. And with Veggie dishes that we have been cooking.

I am a big fan of zin and have drunk and enjoyed both Martinelli and Turley zins. Over the years I have gravitated to Carlisle and Ridge zins because I believe they are as good or better and offer better value and better availability. I would still buy Martinelli and Turley zins on an opportunistic basis but they would have to be really good deals since my cellar is already 10% zin.

I just drank a couple of Turleys with chili on Super Bowl Sunday - a 2008 Hayne and a 2014 Old Vines. Both were really spot on with a little spiciness in the chili. I think the Old Vines is a great value, and becomes a really nice wine at 5 or so years of age.

Roy, thanks so much for that note. I believe I have a magnum of that sitting around somewhere. Good to know that it is showing well.

Mark
Try barbecue, pizza ( esp meat pizzas like sausage)and chili because they have that briary fruit w a hint of black pepper.

I would drink then after dinner with stilton cheese and cigars.

Recent purchases include a 2017 Turley, Paso Robles, Paper Street Zin and 3 bottles of 2018 Carlisle, Sonoma County Zin. Our cellar is actually low on Zin so 3 bottles as part of a mixed half-case seemed a good value to me.

Glad to see encouraging comments on both vintners. We had tasted at Turley and also bought a 2017 Napa Valley Petite Sirah. Like that grape, too.

Unfortunately mine never last long enough to age

Pat,

If you have a fondness for Zin I would suggest that you get on the waiting list for Carlisle and maybe Bedrock (I think they have similarities) To me Carlisle offers the best value year in and year out on top shelf Zin.

Thanks. Received my offer of Carlisle and purchased 2018 as noted above. Will also look into Bedrock.