Maui wine & dine picks?

The tour and lunch at O’o Farm is a must for foodies. It is the best lunch I have ever eaten. Ever.

http://www.oofarm.com/tour-luncheon/

Oh, and free corkage! I brought a Babich NZ SB which worked great.

Drinks at Sea House.

Second the General Store.

It’s not on the right side of the island, but Cuatro is well worth the trip to Kihei:

From someone who lives on island most all had pretty good advice. Depending on when you land plan to have lunch at Leoda’s Bakery in Olowalu you will not be be dissapointed! Stop at Costco or Tamura’s for the best places to stock up on wine.

O’o Farms is not to be missed and it is BYOB. With lunch being a grilled fish and or Grilled Tofu for the veggie selection bring a nice crisp Sancerre or some bubbly and you will be in so glad you did. Ask them what days they are roasting and go and you will have the heavenly smell of fresh roast coffee which you will enjoy after dinner in their coffee hut. After drive up the road to the lavender farm for some great views.

Capichse in Wailea is the best place in south maui. Solid wine list and right now they have rack of Venison which is excellent!

If you go to Mama’s Fish house go for lunch as they use the same menu for dinner and the views are much better in the day then in the night.

However, if you are looking to stay on the west side you should seriously consider as suggested Lahaina Grill and Star Noodle you will not be disappointed. Pacific O’ is the restaurant that also owns O’o Farms I have had great lunches there.

For sushi there is nothing better then Koiso Sushi bar this is for the serious connoisseur in Kihei. Sansei is more modern California style and most serious connoisseur’s are disappointed. Not bad just not traditional.

BYOB places on Maui are 808 Bistro in Kihei and Kula Bistro in Kula

The only place I recommend not going is Gerards it is over priced and poor quality the times I have been.

Agree on Tamura’s for wine, and very good poke there too (counter toward the back corner of the store).

Interesting, I am noticing a number of places expressly forbid BYO, which is not so common on the Mainland. Wonder if this is due to local legislation, or just custom?

Maui generally has not allowed BYOB in the past, though it sounds from some of the posts here like that may be changing? Other islands (different counties of HI) have different BYOB laws.

I think many of the restaurants there allow corkage, just call and find out like usual.

+1 some of the best sushi I have had.
Wine is difficult on Maui, better to drink beer, Maui brewing coconut porter.

Mamas fish house is really good and you can’t beat the setting but its so expensive.
We go to Paia Fish House, you order at the counter and sit on crowded benches but the fish sandwiches are amazing.

Yes, Pa’ia Fish Market on the corner of Baldwin and Hana Hwy. is more what I’m looking for when I’m on Maui. Fish sandwiches are huge and very tasty, with a beer or two to go with them.

I was a little disappointed by Sansei, but we’ll probably try it again this time because it generally gets great reviews. One thing to be aware of is that, at least when we were there, reservations were a little bit challenging. It’s worth calling at least a couple of days in advance if you want to go there.

Unfortunately any place that has a liquor license cannot offer corkage it is against the law. Oahu or the Big Island are different counties and allow it but Maui county does not.

We brought wine to Monkey Pod and they had corkage ($25).

This was once true, but was changed in 2012. Corkage is now allowed in Maui county, and more and more restaurants over the year are offering it, though often at a high price.

But you get free poi!

I stand corrected… http://www.corkagerates.com/maui.html

I agree 100000% with Mala and Honu - my 2 favorites. Great lunch menu at Mala, too.
Besides Foodland I also make a point of going to Whole Foods and Tamura’s.
Headed to Maui at the end of the month - staying in Wailea for the first time after 13 years straight in Kapalua . Can’t wait!

MAKE THE DRIVE TO MAMAS FISH HOUSE!

Lucky you! We love Kapalua, but also most recently stayed in Wailea, known as Maui’s sunniest beach, and found it was true that the weather was better on that part of the island, especially when we can usually go (May/June). Had several days where it was raining pretty much everywhere around us, but it was bright and sunny on that little strip of beach.

We were there this past year during Wailea Restaurant week. We enjoyed Monkeypod for lunch, but were disappointed in Mala’s Wailea outpost (in a resort) and Nick’s Fishmarket (Kea Lani). We had great meals at Ferraro’s (Four Seasons) and, rather surprisingly, Humuhumunukunukuapuaa (Grand Wailea). Apparently they have a new chef at the latter who is very up and coming. It ended up being our favorite meal of the trip, and they had a very interesting wine list, including a lot of relatively (for resort wine lists) well-priced offerings from Carlisle.

I just got back and give two thumbs up to Merriman’s and Mama’s Fish House (in Paia). Special shout out to the Somm at Merriman’s, I can’t remember her name but she was lovely. Really worked with us on sensible choices. The prices were a bit higher than normal for a good restaurant but you get so much in experience/view/service and quality of food!