Maui wine & dine picks?

We’re in Kapalua right now. Went to Leoda’s on the way in from the airport, and it was pretty good. Honu tonight. I’m not sure how many other meals out we’ll do this trip (other than the resort restaurants). We’re trying to avoid having to tie ourselves down with reservations and such like we usually do. And this week I’m really just looking for deep relaxation, so I’m pretty happy to sit at the pool, on the beach, or on our balcony and read.

We did stop at Costco for a few bottles to enjoy at sunset. But the checkout line was about three miles long. I’m not sure the time wasted was worth the cost savings, since we didn’t buy anything else. (We should have bought a Honu gift card but I forgot until it was too late).

When you get done with fancy and want a good pizza or pub fare, try:

Dollie’s Cafe & Pub
Address: 4310 Lower Honoapiilani Rd, Lahaina, HI 96761

They have both the best blue cheese and ranch dressings I’ve ever had. Food is very good and reasonable. Last time we stayed there, we grabbed a takeout pizza and salads on the second night, and the third night and the fifth night and had lunch there on the way to the
airport.

PS: I didn’t even notice whether they had mac & cheese on the menu.

We went to Maui in September and the Lahaina Grill was excellent. It is in a high traffic area but the food and service were excellent.

Thanks,
Ed

Sean will be in Maui a week from Monday. We bring wine with us (we use wine check). If you are interested in meeting for dinner one night let me know.

Just got back from Wailea area having not been there for 6 or so years. Major upgrade in restaurants and wine lists since we were last there. They must have all had the same epiphany about an all california list being inadequate. We had very good meals at several places. Ka’ana Kitchen, Migrant both refreshingly different. Monkey Pod was somewhat wild and loud, serving staff all have headsets, but the food is really good, and the operation was really well coordinated and efficient. Gannon’s isn’t quite on the level of these other’s, but pretty good, and the views are stellar. Pea paradise is a good option for lunch or take out. Capische Market has interesting stuff for take out if you want to stay home.

There’s also a very good wine shop now Wailea wine and spirits or something like that.

Unfortunately we’re heading home on Monday, so we’ll miss each other. Have a great trip!

FWIW, we thought Honu was great. We also tried Frida’s, which is a fairly new Mexican place next door to Honu and Mala, owned by the same people. We weren’t very impressed. We’re probably spoiled with respect to Mexican food, but I don’t really feel any need to go back there.

Taverna in Kapalua is supposed to be opening within days, but we just missed it. The menu looks interesting. I’ll be curious to hear how it is.

That Thai place was very good. It was quite a surprise.

The other place that surprised on the upside was Miso Phat Sushi. Nothing fancy, bad name, but we had good fish. The owner runs a fishing boat that
provides some of their fish.

Just got back. We stayed In Kanaapali so are mostly around there.

Star Noodle was awesome food. We had a reservation for 2:30 and got sat at 3:15. Yikes. I’d make reservations there for dinner 1-2 night next time but probably a week or more in advance.

Of the Freidas/Honu/Mala trifecta we surprisingly like Frieda’s the best. Interesting food well prepared. Honu and Mala were pretty similar (exact same kids meals) and I think we prefer Mala. Both were right on the water and gorgeous. Would go back to Frieda’s and either honu/Mala to try one more time.

Hula Grill – went there last minute and expected not very much. Surprisingly one of the best meals we had. Definitely the best fish prep (better than honu). Great Mai Tai. Really a surprise and surprisingly not ludicrously expensive.

Miso Phat – sushi my brother found. But I guess I could have just looked at the above post :slight_smile: Really, really good. Sort of small but terrific.

Ate sandwiches and poke from the grocery store on the napili beach turn off. Best deal on the island :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the next trip

Scott

We were at kaanapali Westin Villas two weeks ago - we loved Lahaina Grill, Honu and Mala.
Monkey Pod was good but so freakin’ loud in there.

Surprise meal for me as a last minute reservation in our last night was Pulehu at Westin Villas North… really excellent.

My two cents, been going to Maui for a few years in a row. Love it there. For the most part, we cook for dinner and go out for lunch. So spoiled with amazing seafood all over Maui.

Star Noodle - so delicious. great noodles, ramen, fish. Make a reservation or the waits can be really long.
Mama’s - really touristy, BUT the food is really great. The fish is so fresh and delicious. Views at lunch are spectacular. Worth the drive.
Honu/Mala - great spots on the beach in Lahaina
Merrimans - in Kapalua, great spot, bit more expensive, but they do a great job
Sansei - I mention only because I saw it come up a bit, I really didn’t like it, thought it was kitschy type rolls, not serious sushi

I am glad you enjoyed my recommendation, even if you did not go based on my recommendation. I might have undersold it when I just said “good fish.”
There are not that many sushi places that actually have good fish though. Especially in a low key place like that.

Quick update for this thread (we’re heading to Maui on Sunday). There’s now a Monkeypod location in Kaanapali, much more convenient for folks staying up in that area or Kapalua.

Wow, cool!
Where is it located?
Is it as good as Wailea?

Great and timely thread and update, we are going to Maui in March…Have reservations at Monkeypod, Humuhumuetc, Gannons, Ferraro’s(my daughter’s birthday dinner), Matteos…We ate at Longhi’s in Lahaina a zillion years ago, loved it…

Lahaini Grill is a must for us.

Just finished a week here. All good recs above. Would add Cuatro. Allows BYO, good fish.

It’s located in Whaler’s Village. We aren’t in Maui yet, so we haven’t had a chance to try it. I will report back.

It’s been mentioned before, but Tamura’s has a great selection of wine at reasonable prices. It’s hiddenin a weird little industrial looking area next to Star Noodle. The poke is pretty good too.

Was just there, stayed at the Wailea Beach Resort and pretty much walked to all our restaurant pics. Monkeypod(Wailea) is great, but SUPER noisy. I recommend getting there 30min early and requesting an outside table on the side of the street. MUCH more enjoyable. Had a wonderful 2008 Pierre Gimmonet BdB at $116…BUT sundays are 50% off sparkling wines! Unfortunately we left on sun.
Humuhumhu… was our favorite!! The perfect Polynesian style, very quiet and comfortable Hawaiian setting…food was wonderful, expensive though, and had a super 2015 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette that was $80 or so on a very expensive wine list. Longhi’s was ok, the fam really liked it, food was ok, but what excited me and made my night was the 2012 Rivers Marie Sonoma chard for $60, on an also HIGH priced wine list! The wine drank AMAZING! Don’t recommend the Humble Market Kitchin in our hotel…food was eh, didn’t have the wine I picked, seated in a booth that was uncomfortable…not a fan. Breakfast on the lanai overlooking the ocean was nice though. BEST breakfast was at Kula Lodge 4000 ft up towards Haleakala.

Now you have me daydreaming…I want to go back!

[cheers.gif]