Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

Announcing a cellar reduction plan on April Fools Day? Very appropriate, for me at least.

I have 644 bottles and hope to reduce that to 600 by the end of the year. Same goal as last year but maybe this thread will help. I’m down 24 from January 2017 which counts as progress.

Cellar at 2800 bottles.

Plan is to get below 2700 by year’s end, maybe even below 2600!

I need that same ruling. Also do we count wines already purchased but shipments just coming in (several more cases due in the next few weeks)?

They do not exist, if you drink them beforehand.

Yes. 93.

Down about 4% so far this year.
Total purchases minus total consumption.
A great 3 months…

That’s a good analogy. So far, I’m the fattest person here. Probably, literally and figuratively. I am trying to reduce both, but I’m not going to say where I am now (on either count).

I drank off about 15 bottles last month. Does that count?

At the beginning of 2017, I was at an even 750, and said to myself, see if you can empty out one of the three offsite lockers. I got that locker down under 3 cases.

I am now at 749. [oops.gif]

Woah woah you’re introducing way too much accountability on these boards!

1 Like

One thing that may assist me in cutting back - I’m primarily a North Coast California wine buyer. The 2017 vintage was relatively small and challenging (weather and fires) here.

I don’t think we are supposed to mention the fires Mike.

1 Like

My wake up call was when I crossed the 1000 bottle threshold this past summer. I sent 4 cases to auction (I should have sent triple that number) and am at 956 now. I am very serious about reducing my inventory, and since January, output has exceeded input.

I’m somewhere between 450-500 bottles as I don’t always enter daily drinkers into Cellartracker. I bought a new house this year, so the goal is to cut back purchasing significantly (hopefully at 400 bottles by year end), though I plan on adding some higher end/older wines as I’m also trying to re-balance my cellar.

I have been happy simply slowing the rate of increase - an inflection point on the growth curve if you will.

1 Like

I am still tying to figure out the desire to reduce the total amount of inventory…unless it is kept at a cost in offsite storage, they have exceeded the comfortable capacity of their cellar and have to navigate boxes in the middle of the floor (see above), the wine is to be sold and the money used for some other worthwhile or non-worthwhile purpose, someone’s taste has changed and they wish to shift the composition of the cellar, they have too much wine that is getting old and past its prime, or their life’s end is in site and they have no heirs who enjoy wine. But most posters here express their desire to reduce their inventory but it is not apparent that there is a purpose behind it.

I started at ~2800 bottles 4 years ago and decided that 2000 would be a good cellar size for me, based on my likes and drinking habits. Since then I have dropped to ~2400 bottles (including being stiffed for over 100 bottles by Premier Cru).

My plan is to continue with my cellar reduction efforts but I am not overly concerned about how fast I get there. A reduction of 50 to 100 bottles a year seems a reasonable goal.

Yes and yes sez the judge

[welldone.gif]

1 Like

My wife had her first reality check conversation with me about the amount of wine I have and the fact we are planning to retire in a few years and go RVing full time. Much work to be done on the inventory reduction front.