Most complex wines under <$50

There’s usually no substitute for age when looking for complexity, and wines that drink complex when young tend to have a distinctive profile that doesn’t appeal to all.

With that caveat, 2 wineries whose offerings (both the reds and whites) show lots of complexity on release are Musar and Lopez de Heredia. Both can still be found for $50 if you look.

Ridge wines can get quite complex, but like others have said, I think these needs time to let all that upfront fruit morph.

As a category, the Loire and Chianti offer many wines that gives a good range of flavors and nuance. And gewurztraminer is usually a very expressive, multifaceted grape, but it can lack subtlety.

Not surprising. Some people need to do more research before they post. I found a whole bunch from just one local store. https://bassins.com/search_results.php

You forgot one of our faves.
Chandon de Briailles (Lavieres for me)

Just bought some Baudry Clos Guillot 2016 at $33. A wonderful Cuvee, 2015 was ridiculously good, I doubled-down.

I don’t agree. Some of the common grape varieties known for making age-worthy wines can be quite obnoxious to many (like me) when young. But, even that depends on region and winemaking style.

Some grapes have wonderful primary aromatics. The challenge is maintaining those, so they make it to bottle. Even then, the drinking window to keep that can be very short (like 6 or 12 months from release). Some such wines have the stuff to transform into something else wonderful with age, others will just fall apart.

To the OP, the best way to do this imo is link us the website of a store you shop at. Then we can make some specific suggestions for you to choose from, in a quite easy way. Try those and go from there.

I was not sure whether CdB wines were still under $50. Most of my list came either from general knowledge or looking at the website from a local store - MacArthur Liquors. Still like CdB wines, but wish they would mature a bit faster - another reason I did not list it, as they are a bit rough when young, even though they age wonderfully.

I bought a 2004 white PV from them from Envoyer not too long along and need to try it. It was well under $50, but did not list it because I don’t know if it is widely available.

Good call on the Bucklin Old Hill with some age on it.

Shush! Loire reds are not complex, they are Brett- and funk-infected swill for those with trash palates. You should instead look to Burgundy, Bordeaux, Germany, California, etc for complex wines under $50. [wink.gif]

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever seen the name “Bessin”.

Is it any good?

Holmes, if you wanna throw $49.99 at wines with scores of 90, then have at it.

But I ain’t playing that game.

Sorry.

Lavieres is widely available in the low-mid 40s.
You’ll need to try that 04 Blanc–wish I had bought a case (I have a few remaining).

Will do so soon. You make me even more excited to try it.

somewhat commercial post: I own a vineyard in the region I’m recommending, but am not giving names of any wines I own or sell:

Roussillon

Look for the following producers:
Chateau l’Ou
Charles Perez
Clos du Fees
Domaine Lafage
Bila Haut
and there are a lot more

If you get around to it, please also look for wines from vineyard I own or represent.

Dan Kravitz

Esporao makes some great ones mostly under $50.

Ridge Geyersville
Siduri Pinots - all of them
Felsina Chianti classico
LDH all of them
Nervi Conterno Gattinara
Chocapalha vina mae

Lots of good suggestions above. Here are some of mine:

Chateau des Tours Cotes du Rhône
Faiveley Mercurey Clos du Roy
Faiveley Mercurey Clos des Myglands
Produttori Del Barbaresco Barbaresco
Produttori Del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo
Copain Les Voisins Syrah

I also agree with Cantemerle, Geyserville and probably a bunch of others mentioned.

good call.
Isn’t the Gauby Vv still <$50?
Tribouley is pretty good too.

I totally agree with all of this, including those suggestions. For Heredia, I think the Reservas tend to be a lot more complex than the Crianzas. For Musar, I am only talking about the Chateau Musar red and white, not the less expensive wines they make.

Clos des Briords <$20

Great, and helpful, list. Domestic pinot has been a wasteland for me, each one the same, recently except for Chanin and Carmel Road.