Most complex wines under <$50

Lots of members here seem to like Felsina Fontalloro for red and Huet’s Secs and Demi-Secs for white, and those are under $50.

Of course, that depends on whether or not the particular vintage of Huet has shit the bed or not. [snort.gif]

Maybe a bit out of left field, but Occhipinti SP68 and Frappato are very complex and well within range.

Also Gros Noire, Trevaillon (maybe under $50), and many mentioned above. Oh, and Cameron.

One wine near the $50 mark but can be found for a bit less is Evesham Wood Cuvee J Pinot Noir. This estate vineyard near Salem, Oregon produces outstanding and complex wines every year. Check out the story about the yeast they make it with on the website. https://eveshamwood.com

What under $50 will you drink if and when the OP comes back to read your advice?

Felsina Rancia
Terre Nere “Santo Spirito”
Roagna Langhe Rosso

I’ll take your requirements literally, especially the “open hours in advance” (which eliminates a lot of wine). Barolo is my pick. There are many under $50.

I love Fontalloro, but absent 15-ish years of age I don’t necessarily think of its strength as being “complexity” so much as consistent “deliciousness”. It’s tempting to me to conflate the two characteristics and ask myself, well why do I find a wine “delicious” if it’s not “complex”. But I think I do enjoy many wines purely based on a flavour profile and texture that I find appealing even while not considering them to be particularly “complex.” In younger wines, I tend to find complexity only (with a few exceptions), in lighter-bodied wines…Jura reds, Beaujolais, some lighter-styled Nebbiolos (Gattinara, Spanna, and the occasional Barolo/Barbaresco that drinks well young), Nerello Mascalese, and Burgundy.

Yes, I agree with this, John. For example, I have a weakness, some might say, for Rochioli, both the SB and the PN’s. On the right occasions, I enjoy them a lot, but I would not call them complex.

+1

Got an offer from Envoyer today for a 2017 Drouhin Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu for $30. Have not had the wine but seems like excellent value.

A good Rioja like La Rioja Alta