MUSINGS FROM AMSTERDAM UPDATED VERSION WITH A SPRING 2021 UPDATE

The day I got here, the trees were still green with little evidence of change=

fullsizeoutput_1fef.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1ff0.jpeg
Yesterday, this is where the change has reached in little over 2 weeks with leaves falling everywhere and uprooted bricks hiding and waiting for the next trip=
fullsizeoutput_2072.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2076.jpeg

I keep thinking I’ve done enough here, but each day I discover some new treasures and I just have to share this one. It is a 2 building “houseboat” with amazing and creatively done nature floats that are attached to the main float source which is located on the Nieuwe Vaart canal. This person has planted an herb garden, trees and flowers around most of his 2 liveable structures. Its a masterpiece, one of a kind, home on water.

fullsizeoutput_2081.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2085.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2084.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2083.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2082.jpeg

Christmas in The Netherlands:

"For most children in The Netherlands, the most important day during December is 5th December, when Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas) brings them their presents!

St. Nicholas’ Day is on the 6th December, but in The Netherlands, the major celebrations are held on the 5th December, St. Nicholas’ Eve. The name Santa Claus comes from the name Sinterklaas.

It all starts on the second Saturday of November (the first Saturday after 11th November) when Sinterklaas travels to a city or town in The Netherlands. Dutch tradition says that St. Nicholas lives in Madrid, Spain and every year he chooses a different harbor to arrive in Holland, so as many children as possible get a chance to see him.

Sinterklass travels with his servants called ‘Zwarte Pieten’ (‘Black Peters’). When Sinterklaas and the Black Peters come ashore from the steam boat, all of the local church bells ring in celebration. Sinterklaas, dressed in his red robes, leads a procession through the town, riding a white horse. Every town in The Netherlands has a few Sinterklaas helpers, dressed the same as Sinterklaas who help give the presents out. (And sometimes you might one see one or more Zwarte Pieten with Sinterklaas!)"

For more: Christmas in The Netherlands / Holland - WhyChristmas.com

Fascinating read, Blake. Thank you. I’ve been to Amsterdam only once, in 1977, and have been promising myself that I’d go back since.

You refer to “our apartment”; is this a AirBnB type rental or do you own a place?

Neal, we have friends who have the apartment and allow us to stay pretty much whenever. I come 2 times a year for 3-4 weeks. My wife who is Dutch, comes much less often.
If you decide to come, I’m happy to suggest some things and locations. AirBnB has good options.

Thanks for the kind offer Blake.

Blake, thanks for all your input, it is always interesting. As I have mentioned here several times, Amsterdam is our favorite city in Europe and we try to get there every time we go to Europe.

As it appears that you like some different and maybe “eccentric” sites to visit, have you ever been to The Museum Of Bags And Purses in the Rembrandtplein area, It represents what we love about Amsterdam, a well appointed serious yet funky museum that is fascinating to visit. Obviously the ladies will love visiting but I found myself thoroughly enjoying the collection. You won’t spend a huge amount of time here but its well worth seeking out.

Just one simple reason why we love Amsterdam.

https://tassenmuseum.nl/en/

Tom

Thanks Tom. I’ve walked past it many times and never had the hit to go in. My wife would go in a heartbeat and I`ll tag along and probably enjoy it as much, as you have. Hopefully she’ll come next Spring and we’ll put hating on the to do list.

1 Like

Love the posts and man, do I miss Amsterdam. To think I got grief for not going there enough…

And re: pannnenkoeken - loved them so much I bought a plate from a little restaurant I went to and packed it home in my luggage :slight_smile:
85CA8EA1-9EB3-471C-A6E5-6F5DCE6D5C62.jpeg

Hey Andrew. I’m at Gebr Hartering as I read this.

We’re having leftovers tonight. If there was a “go to hell” emoji, I’d use it right now :slight_smile: Enjoy!!!

I’m howling fight now and everyone is looking over. Here’s a great Saumur I’m drinking to you.

1 Like

Dined at Restaurant Gebr. Hartering last night to complete the triad of fine dining choices on this 3+ week visit. Cafe de Kelpel and Cafe Daalder were the other 2. All are upscale, offer quality cuisine and are wine centric.

Here’s my review:

First about the name. Gebr. is an abbreviation for gebroeders which means brothers in Dutch. In this case, there are 2 brothers, Paul and Niek, who own and chef the restaurant with quality help from others. I’ve eaten here twice and both times the brothers were off and the food was unique, creative and delicious.
They offer a 5 or 7 course pre fixe menu and also have a few a la carte choices. The 5 course is 55 euros and the 7 course is 80.
The servers are not only competent in serving and explaining each course, but they are wine savvy and this restaurant is wine focused with a decent list and good stemware. For champagne, they are proudly using a new lightweight stem made by Riedel from the Veritas collection. They do not have a dedicated wine pairing set up {like Cafe Daalder}, but are certainly capable and amenable to putting something together upon request.
There is an emphasis on seasonal dishes and local produce. Each course I had was seasoned perfectly, presented attractively and in balance. Serving portions are small.
Vegan and vegetarian options are available.
Few restaurants in Amsterdam are formal and his is not one of them, but, in general, they do attract a clientele that dresses more than super casual.

Proost

fullsizeoutput_2087.jpeg

During my latest trip to this amazing city, on a friend’s advice I went to the Breda restaurant for lunch. You must go there on your next trip. Just great cooking and pretty nice wine list. Wonderful.

Alain

I’ve stopped in and checked out vegetarian options which are limited, but doable. Their wine list is extensive and comfortably priced. I’ve eaten at their sister restaurant, Guts & Glory, and enjoyed the food although we were asked to move from the back of the upstairs dining room to an outside table in front on the street to accommodate a large party. we were happy to oblige, but it was somewhat untimely since we were in the middle of 5 courses and had wine pairings from the the first 3 on the table. It took the 2 of us and 2 waiters to re-set everything up.

Here’s a link: http://www.breda-amsterdam.com/en/

Here’s an interesting article that covers housing and Brexit issues and more.

Amsterdam Brothels: Amsterdam Brothels To Get A Review By City’s First Female Mayor:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/amsterdam-brothels-to-get-a-review-by-city-s-first-female-mayor

Any recommendations for a good liquor store in Amsterdam? I would like to pick up a bourbon that is tough to find in the US.

I suggest you check out Chabrol Wines and if they do not have what you’re looking for, the certainly must know of a good source: http://www.chabrolwines.com

Thank you, Blake.

We did lunch at Daalder, and it was a so so experience. We did the 4 course meal paired with wines. The main dishes were rather bland. The amuse bouche, first course and dessert were very good. Wines were decent, much better with food than on their own. Also the prices for the wines are off. Wine list has the full serving at 8.50 and the half at 5; the bill showed the full at 13.50 and half at 7.50. Only noticed on the Uber, so that’s that. But the food prices are more than decent.

My best meal here was at Singel 101. Food not quite as fancy, but tastier, and the wines more to my palate.

Tomorrow, very early dinner at an Argentinian place with lots of cheap wine and free Pool Gunner match.

Monday back in my beautiful and beloved San Diego.