Must Buy People Behind the Wine!

What are the other 1/3?

That’s only because Denyse is so modest. But I agree it’s a good call for this thread.

RIP Joe. 9 years now.

Experiments or names I recognize but haven’t met or researched the owner(s) or winemaker(s). Somewhere between 25% and 33%.

RT

Always had a lot of respect for Helen Turley over her career.

Surprised no one mentioning Burgundy winemakers here. That might be the region where winemakers are most likely to forefront their own names in side projects, micro-negociants, and the like. Anyone here buy things just because they have the Canneyt or Leroux name on the bottle?

1 Like

If you start, how and with whom (proper usage?) do you stop?

RT

As much a I respect and agree with RT (99.2% of the time), I gotta swerve to the left on this one.
I think the key to avoiding simple human behavior is to shut yourself out momentarily and instead focus on the mistakes made by others.
I have seen too many of my own friends and former friends bound up in the idea of buying wines from their perceived friends much to their ultimate regret.
It is the wine equivalent of thinking that if you buy nothing but Fords, Ford Motor Company will do you a favor when you need one.
It’s pure folly. Someone you pay significant amounts of money to in exchange for a product and only see in the context of that exchange is not a friend.
You (the proverbial “you”) may think these people you admire and respect are your friends and it may give you joy to believe that they are your friend but that does not make them your friend.
I can easily think of five winemakers who used to write me private emails and write handwritten notes enclosed in my shipping box and while all of that was very nice and satisfying, when my tastes changed or the wine went in a different direction than my tastes, I stopped buying. Funny thing, not a one of them wrote or emailed that they missed me.
I was there once. I won’t deny personalities are an influence. But over time I think I have learned to focus on the wine and not the person behind the wine.
Don’t misunderstand-I won’t buy from jerks. A former Board darling on this Board once came down from his room where we were staying-a B&B-and immediately made an anti-gay “joke” at breakfast. I never bought a bottle of his wine.

What no Cameron Hughes, no Danica Patrick?!

An old favorite of mine Craig Jaffurs is consulting on a project. I loved Craig’s wines when he was the winemaker under his own name so I may have to check out Dovecote.

I just buy my favorites. If they have names attached, so much the better. [cheers.gif]

This raises some questions, including moral hazard. I very much enjoy the wines of Montevertine and visited several years ago. Martino Manetti took over from his father 20+ years ago. There’s serious winemaking talent and tradition, arguably one of the very best in Tuscany.

Back in 2014, Martino reportedly went on a racist rant (Facebook). To my knowledge, he hasn’t repeated the offense. Racism in Italy is probably worse than here, but is that an acceptable excuse? 1 strike and he’s out? I honestly can’t say categorically whether he’s a jerk. He’s quirky…which holds true for most talented winemakers IMHO.

If I didn’t care about the people behind the wines, I wouldn’t know this story…and there’d be nothing but taste and budget for a purchase decision.

RT

I won’t buy Le Pergole Torte for exactly that reason, but do have some still left in the cellar before I knew he was a racist.

So I’ll modify Mitch’s comment slightly - I don’t knowingly buy wines produced by jerks.

Ditto, on just the name.

If Mugneret- Gibourg or Dujac bought Oregon Pinot Noir and started a label, I wouldn’t be interested. (If they got hold of an established PC or GC grapes in the Cote d’or, that’s another story).

I’m surprised by your surprise, given the burgundy producers named above.

Morgan Twain-Patterson
Mike Officer
Aaron Pott
Will Segui

John Fox

Too soon?

I also stopped buying after becoming aware. How many other less vocal “jerks” might be out there? A part-time hobbyist can only learn/research so much.

Also as Mitch hinted, there’s a question of buying wines from “perceived friends” or people you really like, but might not like their wines. It’s a work in progress learning to be more respectful of wines that don’t suit my palate. Many winemakers pour their heart and soul in to their “children”. It’s very unusual that I’ll knowingly buy a wine that doesn’t appeal to me. Buying wines that always align with one’s tastes is quite a challenge.
There are inevitable mistakes (Right Bank Bordeaux 2005 [head-bang.gif]).

RT

Um…

[wink.gif]

No one. I don’t buy certain vintages from my favorite Burgundy/Northern Rhone/Champagne producers, so why would I buy whatever they made somewhere else just on their name?

Too many good ones to only name two:

I would probably try any wine attached to the following names:

Thomas Rivers Brown
Mike Smith
Randy Bennett
Andy Erickson
Michel Rolland
Bob Cabral
Michael Browne
Jean Hoflinger (probably mispelled)
Will Segui
Helen Turley

If the Mugneret sisters and daughters made a Pinot Noir wherever, I admit I would be curious to try. If it didn’t break the bank.