Mustard -- which one is the best?

It seems like more people are saying Dijon is they #1 above anything else. The beauty of mustard of course is the variety. I think it was on JetBlue last month (or maybe Alaska Airlines) where the in-flight magazine had a terrific article talking about different varieties of mustard complete with tasting notes. It made me wish I was at a mustard tasting–and it made me hungry for sausage!

Seconded. A friend that travels to France frequently for business brings me back 2-3 bottles every now and then.

May not be the best but it has a special place in my heart.

Jason

I hate to admit it … I have not yet gone to Phillipe’s … I know I know – totally criminal. It’s on my short list of things to do.

Once it’s a little cooler,I am going to take my daughter up on the train and go to Phillipe. Maybe we could gather a few others.

Jason

Don’t tell Suzi! [tease.gif]

Hey, there is Kosher sausage out there. Or are you displaying homophobic humor?

Just say the word, brother. [highfive.gif]

I agree with Eric. This is like asking which is the best wine in the world. Different mustards for different foods and situations. I would never put Dijon on a hot dog.

Don’t agree with Eric on this one. I don’t think that it is homophobic to suggest that if you did like sex with men, it might be surprising to your wife.

OK, back on track…

Dijon is actually pretty good on a hot dog, although I prefer a nice, brown deli mustard in that situation.

I love the heat of a good dijon so am eager to try the Fallot I got last night.

I’m very curious to hear what your thoughts were about this … espcially if you’ve never had Fallot before.

Will have to try the Fallot. Hopefully our store carries it.

Have the Wasabi Mustard, but I’ve been afraid to use it.

I always buy Grey Poupon, and then wonder why I bought it in the first place? [dontknow.gif] It just seems to overpower anything in its path. So until I find the Fallot, its Morehouse.

It may be just what I grew up with. Deli mustard with deli food.

No homophic anything, Eric. I just always envision sausage as a swine product, verboten in your household. Me? I love swine.

Two words. MERGUEZ baby. One of the best sausages out there. Lamb, beef, paprika, North African, spicy, greasy, loaded with personality. There is a company out of LA called Neshamah that makes a variety of Kosher sausages. Most are turkey or chicken based and are a bit dry (Pork fat is the key of course), but treated right they are adequate.

Now fortunately, I am in your camp. The very best sausage is pig-based. I keep a Kosher kitchen for my wife. I grew up though eating EVERYTHING. So out of the house I can eat whatever the heck I want. Hello Salumi!

[quote=“Eric LeVine”][quote. Hello Salumi!

[thumbs-up.gif]

Eric…which “version/flavor” did you get…there are multiples types…all tasty.

It just says DIJON MUSTARD. Stone Ground on the back label. No flavors. No foo-foo. I have had the Fallot in the past with the seeds, but it doesn’t stand out in my memory.

And what do you eat with bad NY pizza? We want to know everything about your favorite gourmet-pairings of crappy food neener

I don’t understand how the “sweet” mustard (basically pretty much the only variety found in Anglo-Saxon countries, with a whole range of disgusting variations) can appeal to anybody. It’s sickeningly sweet. It’s like maple syrup mixed with vinegar [bleh.gif]