Mustard -- which one is the best?

Ummm…mustard doesn’t come in as even a close SECOND to HOT SAUCE!

Wow, very nice. Delicious mustard, I agree.

Isn’t the answer dependent on what food you’re putting the mustard on? I would tend to use a more deli-style mustard on a corned beef on rye than use a dijon, given the choice. But if I’m marinating chicken before grilling, dijon works extremely well.

Bruce

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. Good deli mustard has no sugars in it.

FWIW, I didn’t read Guillaume’s comments as a slam/description of deli mustard. I think he was making a non-sequitur to harsh on honey mustard etc.

I think you are inferring a relation between my 2 comments that doesn’t exist in the first place. Did I get it right this time? neener

So to clarify my 2nd point: wherever I have been in the US, Canada, UK and Germany, if I asked for mustard I always got something sweet. I find it disgusting. I was mentioning this because all of the labels I recognized in this thread that aren’t Dijon mustard, are sweet.

Yes! Your knowledge of English is much better than your knowledge of food. neener

Next time, look for this in the US:

I think it’s available across the US. The bright yellow stuff is horrid. Avoid anything that is bright yellow or whose title contains the word “honey” or the word “French”.

And stop going to McDonalds!

In fact, if you’re in the US and want to eat something with mustard, ask what mustard they have. If they don’t have good mustard, they probably don’t have good food!

I’ve actually been eating at tons of fast food places but I have avoided McDonald’s so far on purpose.

In fact, if you’re in the US and want to eat something with mustard, ask what mustard they have. If they don’t have good mustard, they probably don’t have good food!

Depending on what part of the US I’d be visiting at the time, it would be a sure-fire recipe for either starvation or bankruptcy.

Best mustard for what?

While Maille may be best for duck liver pate with cornichons on the side, here is the very best mustard for spicy sausage and kosher dogs;

http://www.tastethefear.com/?p=662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought the Fallot for the first time. This one has Green Peppercorns in it. Didn’t notice that until I got it home, then was afraid it would be too overpowering. But, it’s very good. Love it. Thanks for the rec!

I like the green peppercorn version…that and the tarragon are my favorite flavors.

Where did you find this? Brick and mortar, or online?

Right under my nose.

No shit! LOL!! That’s awesome … looks like I’ll be stopping back in to Hi-Time a bit sooner than I previously planned.

You’re right again Roberto–mustard doesn’t come in as a close second, it comes in as a CLEAR FIRST!

neener

It would be tough for me to choose only one of the two … mustard or hot sauce? It must mean something that my favorite mustards are spicy, and my favorite hot sauces are mustard-based. In the end I’d probably go mustard over hot sauce, by the narrowest of margins.

Anyone tried any of the “artisanal” mustards being hawked by garagiste? I will admit I broke down and ordered one but have yet to receive it?

Because it was a futures order…as with everything they deal with. What a sweet business model…collect money, THEN purchase inventory, then ship it when you get it! PERFECT!

I have ordered a number of mustards of various producers from Jon and they’ve all been very good to excellent (if dear). If you are talking about his Parisian artisinal producer, the truffle mustard was great - I haven’t tried others yet.

While I do prefer a wide variety of different mustards for all sorts of applications, I love to also try making my own from time to time. It’s not as hard as you think.

Tried it last week, tasted nice, branching out to the “traditional” style (with seeds), and tasted sweet too [shrug.gif]