My "I HAVE NEVER" wine dinner

They are very generous to set that up for you

Exceedingly thoughtful. I forgot to say ‘maximum kudos’ to Dave.

So much greatness.

2 Likes

Lots of fun, planning and enjoying. I’ll have to check, but I think “maximum kudos” was still on my “never have I ever” list, so I may have to frame that. [cheers.gif]

Once I was the kid, and that was lots of fun, but sometimes it’s fun getting to be the old guy.

Sorry to miss this. I will drop some 1880 Madeira off to you this week. A late nightcap?

MK

3 Likes

champagne.gif Very cool, Mike, I think he’ll dig that!

That’s very generous Mike. I am very curious what’s on your “I have never” list. :grin:

Dude,
That was an awesome gesture. Perfect balance between over-the-top wine board nerdiness and welcoming conviviality/generosity.
Regards,
Peter

2 Likes

You’re lucky to have thoughtful friends living in the same town as you that will indulge you. I’m still waiting for a birth year wine myself, but doubt that will ever happen in flyover country.

Reviewing the original thread, it was Mike Kelly’s idea, I just took it and ran with it. Props to him as well! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I’m always blown away by the generosity in the wine community. I look forward to paying it forward one day.

Edit: missed Mike’s message above.

Absolutely! And in the small ways I’ve been able to pay it forward so far, I’ve had some rewarding experiences. I’m really looking forward to having a variety of ready-to-drink (by my definition) wines that I can open whenever I want. Sharing wine with people is a lot of fun, and it can also be more meaningful than just having fun.

Just want to add that this was a really great dinner. It was so nice to be able to gather for a tasting dinner once again. Food and service were great. Most importantly the company and the wines were excellent. I will echo the point that each wine showed extremely well. I only wish I could have spent more time and focus on each wine, but with each showing so well it was difficult to ignore any of them.

As with others who have commented, I don’t drink much CA Chardonnay, but Mount Eden is always a standout in that field. Could it want for a bit more acidity? For me, yes, but a very good wine in a very good place nonetheless.

The '01 Haag will likely last forever and it surely deserved to be followed over the course of a few days. Dense and poised, it was just delicious. I came to wine a bit too late for '01 Rieslings and this experience, as with others in the past, makes me regret that.

The '14 Echezaux was surprisingly open, with the expected structure lurking underneath still rather youthful fruit. Not sure how long Tyler decanted that wine in advance, but whatever he did it was the right choice. It provided a fascinating counterpoint to the more mature reds.

The '04 Margaux was classy and fine and has many good years ahead of it. It was a testament to the strength of the established great names in BDX even in less favored vintages.

The 1964 Barale was fabulous. I can’t even guess at how long this wine will continue to drink well. That was the oldest wine I’ve ever tasted and was something of an education in how fresh a wine can taste even at almost 60 years of age.

Many thanks to Dave for organizing this event.

2 Likes