Myriad 2018 Portfolio Cabernet Release

I had a 2014 Scarlet on F-Day that was fantastic. Since Myriad is the same winemaker, how do they compare?

If anything, Myriad has more fruit and glycerin (at least for the Myriad NV), I REALLY liked the 2016 Steltzner, and Three Twins, and drank them in 2018-2019, wish I had more. Round Pond took a bit longer to come around, but it was very good in 2020, and a step up from the NV. With that said, the NV will be ready to drink upon release, and will drink well for several years (potentially longer, but I usually pop these while waiting on the single vineyards).

I like all of Mike Smith’s wines, and also buy the Scarlett. For the $70 range, the Becklyn NV may be my favorite, but it’s splitting hairs, for me at least.

I think the Scarlett NV may be a slight step up from Myriad NV, but it’s close as said before, the Scarlett Reserve in 2015 was killer, and I plan on buying a few for the 2018 vintage as well.

Based on how the 2016 Steltzner drank, and the 2018 vintage being a good one as well, I’d highly recommend it (though the price isn’t exactly cheap, but the quality is outstanding). I think the 2018 Steltzner has been reviewed highly in tastings.

Carter Cellars may be my overall favorite of his wines, but it’s accordingly priced for the prime vineyards.

This may have been a rambling reply, but hopefully it’s helpful!

Totally agree NickRut! I won’t have a chance to do a tasting before buying this year, but I am sure it’s great, considering the vintage. Mike even made wines I really like in 2017!

Looks like there are some good notes on the 2018 vintage on Cellar Tracker, so I am looking forward to the release!

Well, ouch.

Looking forward to these wines!

(I also like supporting a winery that I have personal fondness for!)

Bought a case of Napa cab plus 4 Three Twins.

Bought 2 cases. Glad I have self control.

Wait the offering is open already?

I can only see the NV cab on my offering, plus whatever is left from the GIII offer. I do not see the other cabs to be included in this months release.

Says June 30 for this new release. If you have a link to an old allocation they still have the NV and 2 G3 wines for sale.

For A-List members only. Basically folks who have been buying in quantity for years.

Correctamundo.

Meanwhile non of it will sell out so it’s all a game.

Also this email is funny. So it’s not true? There’s a “Tier AWESOME” above TIER ONE? lol.

TIER ONE Members will receive an email on the morning of June 30th with a link to your personal account. You will have until July 7th at 9am Pacific Standard Time to secure your offer.

Please Note: We anticipate a VERY swift response to this offer due to the popularity of these wines. Wines will be offered on a first-come/first-served basis while supplies last and this is not a secured allocation. For some wines, you will have the possibility to wish for additional quantities. We will do our very best to grant as many wishes as possible

TIER TWO / New Customers will receive an email link at 9am PST on July 7th offering any remaining available wines.

Bullshit. I slept in last years Three Twins and it sold out during tier 1.
The SVD wines regularly sell out. You would know that if you ever scheduled a winter or spring tasting and found you were tasting the Napa Valley, a GIII if you were lucky and a Syrah.

Also this email is funny. So it’s not true? There’s a “Tier AWESOME” above TIER ONE? lol.

Yes there is a tier awesome. Jealous?

ok

Showing no restraint as usual, I’ve pathetically never experienced a Mike Smith wine though I’ve long wanted to. So i picked up some Napa and the other two big boys from the Spring.

I am out of storage space at home and have greatly dialed back mailing list purchases, but Myriad has become my go-to Napa cab over the years and I always like to support Mike and Leah, as this is their winery!

I am in a similar situation but I consistently buy from Mike and Leah although in less quantity.

Sssshhhh! I’m Tier One, not Tier Awesome, but was just able to place my order.

I’m completely out of storage space and don’t drink much Cabernet (I’m on the list mainly for the Syrahs at Myriad and Quivet) but I always try to pick up a few of these because they’re so good and reasonably priced in relative terms. Bought a few more than my usual this year (but left plenty for other folks).

Thanks

Yes. Shhhhh. I just made tier awesome as well. Lets keep this quiet.

Not sure what the magic number is that gets me onto this tier but for 2018 I am at 18 bottles. Been on the list since 2012. Smith wines are beautiful. Very drinkable and expressive IMHO. Not many of these wines last long in my cellar. Dr Crane, Gearge III and Elysians make it longer, maybe 5 years max. Cant help myself.