Napa/American Canyon Earthquake - MASTER THREAD (and how to help)

We’re out of town attending a wedding in Placerville. We got a phone call thus morning from the Press Democrat, where Dava works, saying the alarms are going off, power was out and water was coming down from the ceiling getting on rolls of newsprint.
First time we have left our dogs alone overnight. They are probably freaking out.

Matthiasson’s barrel room.

Sending best wishes to all the folks out there, hoping everyone is safe and that losses were minimal.

Be well,
Andy

Woke me up in Oakland. You never can tell whether it’s a small/moderate quake centered nearby or a larger one that’s farther away - unfortunately it was the latter this morning.

Hoping everyone here who lives in the Napa area is ok - so far my Facebook friends are all ok but lots to clean up at homes and businesses. Hope barrels of wine and case good storage in the area made it through too - still haven’t heard about damage there. As Tyler noted, there are a number of large wine storage facilities near the epicenter, and lots of individual winery barrel rooms not that far away. Unfortunately there are still few good seismic restraint systems for barrel racks, and bigger facilities often have them stacked 5 or 6 high. Hoping for the best.

Hope everyone is safe and that your life gets back to normal as quickly as possible!

Reminds me of some of the photos I saw of damage from the earthquake in Paso Robles 11-12 years ago. Unfortunately there are still few good seismic restraint systems for barrel racks, and bigger facilities often have them stacked 5 or 6 high. Hoping for the best but I have a bad feeling that we’ll see more photos like this one.

Hoping everyone who lives and/or works in the Napa area is ok. So far my Facebook friends are all ok but lots to clean up at homes and businesses.

Upgraded to 6.1 - seems like Sonoma area was nowhere near as badly hit, but much more damage in Napa and surrounding towns

Mike said Envy’s barrel room checked in unscathed!

We are around 45 miles southeast of the epicenter and it woke us up. A rolling type of earthquake. The local news is reporting a lot of damage in downtown Napa, and a lot of people without power and water. My friend texted me a picture from Silver Oak, where a lot of bottles fell onto the floor. I hope everyone is safe.

Thanks,
Ed

He also got a report of very little damage at Benchmark which is good.

Felt a 3-5 second roll here in Carmel.
Why was I up at 3:30?
About 5 minutes before I felt the quake, two owls woke me up with some intense hooting.
I never even knew we had owls in the neighborhood as it was the first time in two years I had ever heard any.

They must have known something was coming!

TTT

Dogs often freak out the evening before a big quake, hiding in bathtubs, etc

Just revised and edited the thread tittle.

I remember several years ago, on the Parker boards, a member/collector suffered fire damage in SoCal fires. Board members stepped up and sent wine.

After looking at the Facebook feed of Randy and Carrie, I see their store is devastated from the 6.0 earthquake. Lots of people are posting good wishes on their Facebook page. That’s a nice thing to do, but we have to do something, and show our support.

I’m suggesting that Berserkers send them wine. It may not make a difference in the scheme of things, but our show of support will be meaningful. Good wishes are fine. Taking action is better.

Napa Valley Wine & Cigar
161 Silverado Trail
Napa, CA 94559

Can a wine stores (or vineyard) stock be insured against earthquakes in Napa? I sure hope so and that Randy and Carrie have a good policy to help with this…

Felt it pretty good here on the peninsula.
Woke us all.

Randy and Carrie, let us know how we can help.

Crack through hwy, 121 eventually they will have to shut it down.

Hoping that everyone came through relatively unscathed, and that insurance will make good on whatever was damaged.

Berserkers stepping up >>> http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104062

I was surprised at how long this one lasted, seemed like at least 60 seconds with a real rolling sensation and we’re a good 40 miles away or so. My first thought was that this was the big one considering how strong it felt here.

Apparently this one was 10.7km deep when compared to Loma Prieta 19km and Northridge 18.3km, not sure what’s considered shallow or deep but something of note.

Our son lives in Napa - got a call from him at 5:00 Am that he’s OK…

Update: Local news is reporting:

• Mobile home park burns - perhaps 12 units burned, many more damaged (gas leaks stated the fires)
  • Perhaps 50 gas leaks in and around American Canyon
  • Napa airport is closed
  • Many hospitalizations - three critical patients at Queen of the Valley hospital in Napa (87 people seen in ER so far - Triage tent in parking lot)
  • 30 water main breaks
  • Damage to library and courthouse
  • Significant structural damage to older brick buildings in Napa
  • Stained glass blown out at churches
  • Highway 37 and bridge over Napa River in highway 29 open after being inspected
  • 3.6 aftershock
  • Epicenter between Rodgers Creek and West Napa faults (likely northern extensions of Hayward fault) - depth of 7 miles (Shallow)

But:

• GoPro race at Sonoma raceway to take place as usual.

Our thoughts are with those who were affected.