Napa/American Canyon Earthquake - MASTER THREAD (and how to help)

Nevin,

Thanks for the update. Yes, 3 people critical (one a child). That comes first.

Heard about 100+ barrels down at one Napa winery, another can’t open doors to see how bad it is as barrels are rolled up against the doors.

Napa was bad…

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Adam

Did you feel it up there? It was a severe shake here - we’re in Northern Marin - probably 15-18 miles as the crow flies to epicenter. Had it lasted 5 more seconds I would have been out of the house…

Nevin

The Andaz Hotel in downtown Napa is shut down and there looks to be significant damage to it. People who were in the hotel said that there was glass and mirrors that exploded during the earthquake. Many of the restaurants and businesses in the downtown area are without power. The USGS is reporting that this is the largest magnitude earthquake since Loma Prieta in 1989.

Thanks,
Ed

Nevin,

Yes…woke us up big time. Our winery was fine…but my friends in Napa have a real mess.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

I don’t see why not. Whether the insurance is affordable or not is another question.

Earthquake insurance is available but normally has very high deductibles.

Would it be legal in CA for them to resell wines they’ve been sent from elsewhere? I don’t care what they do with any wine they receive, but I hope people will make sure any support given is useful.

As I wrote in PM to Dan, this needs to be checked out first, with Carrie and Randy, before anything is actually done…

I PM’d the same question. It would be illegal here but CA is very different, obviously, than VA

I’d like to think I’m doing the right thing.

PM sent to Carrie on FB.

Carrie says it’s not necessary to send bottles. She appreciates the thought.

given the hassles of shipping wine as an individual, not to mention issues with selling ‘pre-owned’ wine - would much rather (and be willing to) contribute dollars to help cover a deductible.

For them or others in need.

I wonder if its legal to receive bottles from private collections and resell them?

A noticeable, though gentle roller even as far south as Fremont. Hit us at 3:22, so took a minute or two to travel down, given the 3:20 time reported for the epicenter. News here has focused on the town of Napa, nothing yet on wineries, where I’m afraid we’re going to see some horror stories. Having lived in California all my life, and experienced lots of earthquakes (though only one major one), it always scares me a little to see how bottles and barrels are stacked so high. I wonder how many people who do that have never been in an earthquake. I know there’s a large cost factor, but I’m so paranoid about earthquakes I can’t imagine having a barrel room where my barrels were stacked more than 2 high. I see so many people at the wine storage facility I keep my wine with open shelving, unrestrained boxes, and even cut open boxes acting as “racking” where all those bottles will fly out in an earthquake. For everyone reading this in California who has wine in a locker, please take some warning, and consider restraining the bottles against earthquakes. Might not help in “the big one” at 7+, but for a 6 like this, will make all the difference.

Just finished inspection of my mother’s house in Vallejo, about 7 miles from the epicenter. Aside from a little plaster dust and a few things that fell down all is well. My heart goes out to all affected by this.

I’m trying to find the abc code but you can. I think it’s similar to NY where you need to afix a sticker detailing private collection.

Ouch! Hope everyone is safe and damage isn’t too bad. So sad for Matthiasson.

I too am worried about the American Canyon area getting hit hard. SO much wine, barrels, and cased goods are stored there (and stored high). As I’m a vineyard guy I get creeped out when going into barrel stacks with people.

We left napa earlier this week - on the east coast now and desperate for info. Our residence in downtown Napa may have some damage - first reports are positive but we will know more when water and power are turned back on. We know the winery had some damage but believe it is minor. We are VERY concerned about our 2013 wines stored offsite.

That’s the one BIG thing we haven’t heard about yet - all the offsite storage facilities and fulfillment centers…