Napa Cab Recommendations for an Old World Dude?

Togni is a ringer for Classic Bordeaux. In a Bordeaux blind tasting a few years ago, I swore the ‘92 Togni was the ‘82 Gruaud Larose.

Good suggestion of A. Rafanelli, I don’t think if I’ve seen that recommendation yet in this thread. Their regular cab is consistently below 14.5% ABV, Terrace Select is a good representation of what their best fruit+cooperage will do. I also very much like their Estate Blend, which is a 60/40 blend of Cabernet and Merlot. Over the last year, my friend shared a wonderful bottle of 2007 Merlot, that was fresh, integrated, and a joy to drink. So I can say that A. Rafanelli, though not Napa, should be considered.

Hyde de Villaine

1 Like

A lot of good recommendations. I would add Stony Hill.

A little over $50 > Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Cuvée Home Ranch. This performs above it’s price point.
I’ll add Myriad and Quivet to this list.

Becklyn, William and Mary in the $65 - $100 range.

Based on the wine types you like to drink, I’d suggest you look to Paso-Robles. They have numerous Rhone types there. Way more than Napa… Over the mountain to Sonoma, Dry Creek and Alexander Valley you will find more Rhones as well. For Napa, you will find several Bordeaux’ish blends. For Burgundy’ish Pinot’s, I don’t know… I do not get many “barnyard” characteristics from Napa or Sonoma that I would normally equate to Burgs.

For right/left bank blends that remind me of France (dirty fruit), Peter Micheal, Morlet, Dominus, and Melka pop into my mind. They are all north of 100 per bottle though…

+1 also Diamond Creek Volcanic from 90’

Thirding Corison

Sadly Dominus is now north of $200, even for the relatively unheralded 2017. I do think your tastes have to run Right Bank for Dominus to make sense (mine do! [cheers.gif])

Lots of Sonoma above vs. the ask for Napa…but I agree there are some really good balanced Cabs in Sonoma.

I’m not sure I would say Myriad, Quivet or Becklyn are Bordeaux-like. To me they are more fruit forward, albeit well made.

1 Like

Have to be honest - I opened a 2003 Rafanelli Terrace Select tonight and was expecting an oaky dumpster fire after 19 years with mixed provenance. It was shockingly good. Birth year wine for my daughter, and David pulled out of his library for her ~15 years ago.

!!!TOGNI TOGNI TOGNI!!!

Togni’s wines of the 1990s ought to just now be starting to show some tertiary characteristics.
Search wines for 'Philip Togni Napa Cabernet Sauvignon\' - CellarTracker

Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon | Vivino California

You can also look for the wines Togni made at Chappellet, back circa the late 1960s & early 1970s.

PS: It is beyond my ability to comprehend how people can recommend Cathy Corison in threads like this.

Cathy Corison makes very very nice wines.

But pretending that her wines are Old School or Old World or traditionalist is simply ludicrous.

You guys must be drinking Napa cabernet aged in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrels if you think Cathy Corison is Old School.

Dominus ‘old world’ taste? Sorry, maybe a while back but these wines are bigger and bolder than ever. Plus, they are not straight cabs.

Drinkward Peschon is very old world style and very reasonable

1 Like

Nickel and Nickel could be an option and widely available.

My recent experiences are limited to a 1990 Dominus, which was otherworldly and very much reminiscent of the best of Bordeaux, and a 2018 Napanook, which was a generic Napa red that wasn’t worth the money (to me). I would have loved to have tried the 2018 Dominus, but I didn’t feel like paying $300, so I have no idea in what style it is being made.

I took “Napa Cab” in the title to mean Napa Bordeaux-blend, but agree that may not have been the OP’s intent.

Big Spottswoode fan. They age very, very well.

I’m going to take a different tack here and suggest that this is a bit of a square-peg situation. If you like and prefer “Old World” (as evidenced by the other wines you say you usually enjoy), why not continue your explorations in that realm? The two Napa wines you say you liked are $60 and above. For that money (and much less), there’s an ocean of fantastic Old World wines out there.

California can be difficult because it can be 80% cab and 20% merlot and they can still be labeled cab w/o calling it a bdx blend. It does require some knowledge about the wines specifically.

This is not a “California” thing. It’s a Federal regulation, and the minimum for a single-variety-labeled wine is 75%.
The producer is not obligated to state other varieties. So, it could be 75% Cabernet, 15% Pinot Noir, 3% Chenin Blanc, and 7% Catawba, and be labeled “Cabernet Sauvignon.”