Napa Cab Recommendations for an Old World Dude?

I can’t think of anything the OP would want to drink less than the Rhone-styled wines from Paso given their stated preferences. I don’t think what they are looking for is “dirty fruit” or “barnyard” characteristics and instead more a NorCal Cab that shows off place and balance.

I would certainly agree with the recs of Togni and Spotteswoode, though those have gone up in price by a good bit in recent years. Heitz, Mayacamas, and Smith-Madrone certainly fit the bill imo

I’m aware, but I see a lot of this being stretched in California.

“Stretched” in what way? If they label it “Cabernet” and have at least 75% Cabernet in the bottle, it’s not any sort of stretch, at least as far as the legal requirements go.

thanks for this, i agree. it’s binary. stretched is anything but.

I find depending on the varietal even 2% is noticeable in the glass. The EU is 85% of the stated varietal which to me is more acceptable than 75%.

75% isn’t a passing grade in any school I’ve attended.

Under $50 - Matthiasson makes a compelling Village one.

Tablas Creek in Paso would work tho.

you said you ‘see’ it being stretched. i guess the schools you attended didn’t say provide actual proof. champagne.gif

anecdotal beliefs established between your palate and brain are a lot different than seeing something being stretched.

1 Like

If the above are in your wheelhouse, I have a selection of similar mid 80’s to early 90’s Napa/Sonoma Cabs (along with some additional older Bdx and misc.) that I was going to list later this year (after temps drop) on Commerce Corner. I had intended to ship to Wine Bid but decided they would be better appreciated within the group. If you are interested I could forward you the spreadsheet to take a look at. Again, I am in Northern California so shipping would be later (unless you are close by).

For sure and there’s always exceptions. But, as someone who drinks almost all of the same regions that the OP noted, Paso would be way down on the list of areas to recommend. It wouldn’t even be a consideration

1 Like

Fyi- Andrew (the guy you quoted) passed away earlier this year.

Moot disagreement now, as the older vintages have largely disappeared during the past two years.

2 Likes

Why would you say that, and say it in such a snarky way? He asked for “Any feedback”. I gave him mine.

One of the OP’s stated fav’s is N Rhone. To me, that’s mostly Syrah, Marsanne, Roussanne and Viognier. Those varietals immediately make me think of Paso Robles, as well as Sonoma…… Especially with the white grapes. NOT NAPA. Hence my suggestion to look at the Paso Robles and/or Sonoma region.

For Burgs, I definitely do not think of Napa. I have not ever had a PN from Napa reminiscent of anything close to “old world” burgs. No barnyard notes, ever.

Cru Beaujolais? Once again, I’m thinking Rhone varieties, which leads my mind back to Paso more than Napa. Maybe Sonoma or Santa Barbara area, but not Napa.

Barbaresco? That makes me think Italian, or more specifically, Nebbiolo. Can’t really think if too many Nebbiolo vineyards in Napa. Sonoma, maybe a handful. Paso, plenty. Santa Barbara area, some. Napa, nope. I have a few Altamura Nebbiolo’s in my cellar, and enjoy them immensely, but they sure don’t remind me of “old world”, and technically, Altamura fruit is not in Napa.

After those, I’m now pondering what other wines might the OP like that comes from Napa, that might have an “old world” kinda sense of place…… I’m left with Bordeaux. I’ve tasted hundreds of red grape blends from Napa over the last couple decades. Not all that many bring visions of a first, second, or even third growth R/L bank Bordeaux to me. A handful, but not many. And even fewer at the OP’s stated price points. I offered a couple suggestions, regardless.

Mabey I gave some shitty feedback, but at least I was honest and tried to help – without being a damn wine snob.

Oh yeah, the question was asked two years ago as well……

Sensitive much?

I just disagreed with what you said and you want to label me a wine snob and get testy. ‘Ave at it then.

But, if someone says that they’re a Northern Rhone fan, something like big and bold isn’t what they’re looking for from my experience.

If someone says that they’re into Piedmont, aromatics and structure are what they’re looking for from my experience.

Someone asking the question isn’t necessarily looking for a like for like and instead wants an experience that evokes the same feelings/taste buds.

This thread was necro’d and I didn’t see the date it was posted. So, if you want to take more shots at me, ‘ave at that as well.