Napa Cab under $100

Always an impressive…this would be my pick. A lot of “wow” wines don’t actually drink well beyond the first few sips or the first glass, but this one does.

Agree on O’Shaughnessy NV. Tasted this at the winery in March and was wow’d by it. This wine in the cellar is a good problem to have.

Understood . . . in that case, a cab that has not yet been mentioned: 2015 Shafer “One Point Five” Stags Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon which is listed at $89.95 at K&L. Some of the reviews suggest its a drink now or wait until your wife’s 40th birthday type of wine. Good luck with your decision and happy birthday to your wife.

Jean Edwards Stagecoach is great is like $70ish.
Rivers-Marie Napa ($75 iirc) and Calistoga ($95 iirc) are great, although perhaps less easy to find at release prices.
Smith Madrone is like $55, easy to source and very very good as well.

Bevan Ontogeny
Shafer One Point Five
Affinity Howell Mountain
Chimney Rock
Pride Mountain

+1 on these and the Bevan Ontageny. Rivers Marie Cab at $65 is also terrific value, just had the 2015.

+1 on the Chappy Sig Cab. It’s available everywhere, always very good, well under $100 and will stay all of those things for a long time. If she likes it, you’ll have a go to bottle for life

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I have very much liked the ones I have had. Very much on the more elegant side of California Cab.

1 Like

Lot of love on this thread for this wine, but your note sold me! Love the phrase “a go to bottle for life”!

buy 2 bottles of caterwaul, should be $110.

Ben,

Had some questions. Were you expecting to purchase something and have it shipped or find it locally?

If locally, what are some vendors you would use in terms of available inventory.

As an aside, the bevan is quite delicious, it is rich dense and darker profiled cab, but quite delicious none the less (and also accessible).

Benchmark Wines has the 2012 Odette for $115. It’s a pretty tasty wine that would seem to fit your requirements.

1 Like

So how about if it’s not Napa? I’m trying hard not to be a jerk, but you can find 2009 Mount Eden, which is a million years from being old, well within your budget, or another vintage a few years younger.

Another +1 on Chappellet. Also White Rock. But the Santa Cruz Mountains are on another level, literally.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks a million to everyone who gave suggestions. I now have a lovely list to dip into for the future. I hit up Bottle Barn this afternoon and picked up the Chappellet ($60) and the Frog’s Leap ($52). I did also see the Bevan Ontogeny and Shafer One Point Five and was tempted by both, but figured they were each almost as much as the other two put together and so can wait a little.

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. We have some Mount Eden and Monte Bello at home but no Napa so that was part of the decision, too. Otherwise, yeah, I may well have gone for Mount Eden instead.

Thanks Karen, I’d love to. We have fruit coming in as of this week so now it’s digging out tanks and sleeping for me for the next two months but I’d love to stop by later in the year. I’ll be in touch!

1 Like

I’d lean toward Myriad/Quivet/Switchback/Dakota Shy/Scarlett for the bigger style.

For more restrained, I would go for Corison, Forman, Blankiet Prince of Hearts, William and Mary, and Frogs Leap.

Ben, Frogs Leap Estate Cab at $52.00 might just be the best value Cab in all of Napa Valley.

You did well!

Tom

Love Stony Hill Chardonnay and have thought the Cab was solid, but if you’re going for Spring Mountain Cab in that range then save $20 or so and do Smith-Madrone Cab. One of my favorite Napa wines period regardless of price.

Good choices… Please report back as to her thoughts after you enjoy them

Shafer, Sbragia and Anderson’s Conn and my personal favs. Can’t speak in anything current with Sbragia but the ‘12 Godspeed Cab is great