Napa/Sonoma Cab Franc

I’ve had the Pride Cab Franc, actually had an older half bottle at l’Auberge du Soleil in Napa while we were there. Nice wine indeed.

I’ve not had the Keenan. I enjoy their wines but the winery was sold out when we visited and even a gentle reminder that I was ITB didn’t change that, lol.

And I’ve had the Chappellet, I remember it being quite muscular but good. I believe I only had it at an industry tasting.

This is awesome guys, the more suggestions the better!

Anyone have any experience with older Paradigm Cab Franc?

It depends on whether you are looking for a Cab Franc that is varietally (showing pyrazine and herb) correct or one like most out here that are just a slightly lighter version of Cabernet Sauvignon since they are blended with 25% of it.

The best for me because you can actually tell you are drinking CF are:

Lang & Reed 214
Gridley
Palazzo
Detert

Also Larkin. Really impressed with them at a recent tasting.

Here is cabfrancophil tasting notes from CT, knows their way around cf and solid descriptions.

Bravo starting a CA Cab Franc thread!!

Reverie makes a very good one also.
You don’t hear much about them any more.

+1 on the Detert Family. For my money best CF in Napa. For another fave try Favia Cerro Sur.

new winery in Sonoma Valley: En Garde. had their 2009 Cab Franc (Diamond Mtn.) on Tuesday night and it was really, really good. balanced and nuanced, it showed great varietal character.

Csaba Szakal is the owner and winemaker. very cool guy. TR open daily. check it out.

I agree. Awesome wine and people.

Pahlmeyer is going to release a “Right Bank Blend” in the Spring of 2013. 2/3rds Cab Franc and 1/3 Merlot.

More and more I am seeing wineries in Napa increasing the Cab Franc in the blends. Especially from wineries in Oakville…like Bevan.

To me the very best QPR for Franc is Lang and Reed. Had a bottle of the 2009 Two Fourteen a couple of nights ago and it was just wonderful.

Have not had a lot of it but I think Larkin makes a nice CF.

James, speaking as a ‘cab guy’ here: When these are done right, they have no equal. Russell is doing it right. It’s a genre I look forward to exploring. (Peeeew those Syrah cab blends!!!)
I look forward to trying Pahlmeyer’s. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

RYME ftw!

Just had my first Larking Cab Franc over the weekend. Sullivan’s had it on their list for $70…only $10 over retail. the 2008 was delicious, one of the best can francs I’ve had. Can’t find any online, may see if they’ll sell some to me at that price. Oh, guess it got 94 pts from RP…not bad.

Miek Dildine turned me on to Madeleine- Le Pianiste. I am a fan

[cheers.gif]

I have been Pride heavy in the Cab Franc. I love the stuff… The Lang and Reed Premier Etage was 95% Cab Franc with the rest being Petite Verdot was great! I did have a few Keenans that were great and Andrew Will rocks it! I still have the 2002 Pride as my benchmark. Curious about all of the one’s mentioned earlier and will actively seek them out!!!
Anyone have the Jonata?

Another vote here for both Robert Keenan and Pride, though neither are very similar to the French stuff referenced earlier in the thread. The Pride in particular, is going to be a heavier, denser, more oaked rendition.

Those are my notes and handle. Lately I’ve been obsessed with Nebbiolo, though, and now that I am in New Mexico it seems I’m closer to Piedmont than Paso Robles. Heck, Luca Currado of Vietti was here last week and there is a really good Italian importer based out of Colorado, Giuliana Imports, that supplies Santa Fe with the good stuff.

I do have a decade’s worth of Chinon chilling . . . . but evidently drank all my domestic Cab Franc according to CT.

Agreed