Napa/Sonoma Cab Franc

How times have changed; no mention Of Pride Mountain

[scratch.gif]

Up in the Sierra foothills, C. G. DiArie makes a really nice CF

I only had it once, but the most memorable Cab Franc I’ve had from California was Wing Canyon on Mt Veeder. It looks like they only do a very small amount of it. I’d have to go look at notes to find the vintage but it was stunning. A friend of a friend had brought it and I think they bought it on site.

In fact if any one knows more about it, I’d love to know more since I’ve only had the one.

Second this, I’d also vote for Keenan, Pride, and Favia’s cab franc heavy wines are truly wonderful.

No love for Ovid or Jonata? They ain’t cheap, but their CF is absolutely top, top quality in the US.

Best I’ve had is Guilliams (Spring Mountain). Hard to find, worth the effort.
Gamble Family (St. Helena) is also excellent.

I will 2nd Russell Bevan, the EE blend is absolutely amazing. I would think this rivals anything else out there, and Russell is great to taste with at his facility.

I will also add Aaron Pott as he makes amazing CF as well, and quite different interpretation from Bevan.

Howard

Bump: Virage is on invino.com (invite link here if you need it). For the 2007 the price is not all that special other than it gives a way to try a bottle or two. (How they get $80 as the retail price is an utter mystery.) But the 2008 barrel select is listed at $45, a good bit less than the $70 direct through Virage.

Tasted a 100% Cab Franc from Bailiwick Wines last week, sourced from Alegria Vineyard in Russian River Valley. Relatively cool climate vineyard, no new oak, $28 from the winery in Sonoma.

Other non-Napa/Sonoma ones I’ve tasted recently that are good include Broc Cellars and Buttonwood Farm, both from Santa Barbara County.
Disclaimer: I work part-time in the same facility as Broc Cellars, but the wine really is good [cheers.gif]

I tried the Bailiwick CF out of barrel when it was really young and was wildly impressed. I thought it was Alexander Valley fruit, though I guess there is some overlap with the RR AVA.
I haven’t had the Broc, but I’m not surprised that it’s good. That guy has the touch, and CF seems like a variety that would be right up Chris’ alley.

The two that have not been mentioned and jumped out at me are: 29, this is one of the best Cab Francs you can find but they are also proud of it $$$$. the other is Dare which is made by Viader. Much more reasonable price, $35-$45, and wonderfully made.

+1 for Guilliams

Owen Sullivan makes a new world style cab franc champoux, the last party I went to, brought an '07…everyone just sat around saying “wow”

I need to start trying some of these - I’m a big fan of CA Cab Franc

Does anyone have a connection to these producers who can get them to feature some Cab Franc on BerserkerDay??

• 1 Andrew Will

!!!

Terlato’s Devil’s Peak is a nice QPR CF heavy blend…although I got it for like 20 bucks and the Interwebs seem to show it at around 40…hmmmm

I don’t, other than virage which you know.

I’d vote for the Broc Cellars CF, if someone knows him. Some nice reviews in CT and looks like a great QPR. Seems like a WB type producer.

If you’d like some help with WB day, I’ll cold call him and ask. Hell, I’m in sales.

Let me know.