Napa/Sonoma Trip Yes or No?

I’ve canceled all planned trips, domestic or international, for the foreseeable future. How about yourself?

We currently have plans to travel to Napa for a few days in late October. We’re watching the fires closely (especially since we have some appointments on Spring Mountain). Keep in mind that we’re California natives, so we’d be driving, not flying. If we had to get on a plane, I don’t think we’d be traveling at all. (Although with a N95 and other protections could be mostly safe).

We have, and I have in particular, been extremely cautious and careful about Covid - and after a day trip to Paso Robles a couple months ago, felt quite confident that these interactions can be done quite safely and felt like many of the outdoor tastings were quite lovely and perhaps even preferable to indoor tastings. But the key is to find a coherent, safe and reasonable means of finding healthy interactions - what that means will be different for everyone…by no means should anyone do anything they’re not comfortable with. But the reality is that wide spread mask usage, cleaning protocols, outdoor environments (where aerosol concentrations are limited) and very limited crowds reduces Covid transmission to only a theoretical level of risk. (I.E. possibility can’t be disproven, but so low it shouldn’t practically occur). For us, we think we can travel safely, and given our age, should not be particularly at risk. But again, everyone will figure their risks differently.

Rob - visit. Stay in southern Napa (which is 20-25 miles away from the fire zone) - you’ll find most hotels have availability and have great rates due to Covid. In 3 weeks time, tasting rooms may be allowed to pour indoors (we were heading in that direction before the Glass Fire), and if they aren’t open for indoor tastings, you can taste outdoors. I would focus on wineries Rutherford and south if visiting wineries on the Silverado Trail. Most wineries up/down 29 or in the immediate foothills have not been impacted. Restaurants also have 25% indoor capacity and most have created great outdoor seating arrangements. Would hope in 3 weeks time the air quality would be much better also throughout the entire valley.

We live in San Diego which is hundreds of miles away from the recent fires but they are so massive that the air quality here has often been unhealthful.
So we did not go out for our usual walks and bike rides on those days.
Another option for you might be Santa Barbara county, great wineries and bicycling there as well.
With COVID we are not doing any travel right now.

Nobel Prize committee will be in touch soon [worship.gif]

Fantastic, looking forward to receiving my prize. The sacrifice will have been worth it.

Of course, you will have to travel to Sweden to receive it [wink.gif]

I cannot speak to the fire. However, living in Orlando, I am seeing the effects of lack of tourism on a daily basis. If you have the means and desire and the state / local jurisdiction permits it, then travel, enjoy yourself, spend money and help out those in Napa / Sonoma.

When I posted this question, I was unaware of the fires that had just broken out, so I apologize if it seemed time deaf on that front. I’m not going to apologize for considering a return to some degree of normalcy and will be monitoring the situation and planning accordingly. My wife and I happily follow all the recommended safety protocols, but unlike Chris, we don’t live in fear or perhaps in his case an underground bunker. The nice thing about travel right now is you can go on the spur of the moment.

Thanks to all those who responded with helpful information.

+1

Anyone have an idea why Florida and GA have so many cases of COVID-19??? Asking for a friend.

I was in Napa in early August during rona and it was fantastic.

I was also there in 2017 during the fires and rerouted out to the coast for the back half of that trip. We were happy to support the few places open in the town of Napa, but we could feel and see the fright and sadness everywhere we went.

There’s no living in fear. It’s called being considerate for others.

Hmm…Well, while Florida is #3 and Georgia #5 in Covid cases, they are also #3 and #8 in population. Seems pretty close to what you would expect. Both are significantly below New York, the #4 most populous state, in the number of Covid deaths (14,000 & 7,000 vs NY’s 33,000).

Regarding COIVD – I haven’t socialized in person, gone in an office, store, or any business, dined outside at a restaurant, etc. since early March because my wife and I feel it’s responsible for us to stay isolated when it’s really not a hard (although, at times, certainly not fun) thing to do. That being said, however, the two times we interacted with any person/business in person since March was at two private wine tastings, after looking into their precautions and deeming them suitable. We felt very safe with only 1 employee there and hardly ever being within 6 feet of that employee, and that employee wearing a mask. Is it riskier than continuing to stay home 100% of the time? Yes. However, I do think some places are providing extremely low risk tastings, so I could potentially see a trip to Napa being somewhat reasonable if you don’t fly, stay at a hotel, or eat out.

Clearly, different people will have different opinions on this, and I can’t fault anyone for feeling this is irresponsible, but based on my experience and staying up to date on the most current COVID findings, I think it’s possible to find reasonably low risk tastings.

I retired from NJ to Florida at the start of Covid. The plans were in place for some time and we were able to make it work. Florida is the #3 most populous state but also has been, IMO, very lax about restrictions. The state did not take fast action in the spring: could there have been economic incentives to leave things open at the end of “the season”…and now, has gone into Phase 3 reopening, basically removing restrictions in time for the next “season”. Having said that, most of the early cases were the Miami to Fort Lauderdale area, but the whole state does have it. I am very cautious, but do go out. Have been out to dinnner, but have also walked out without eating if social distancing was not up to snuff. Go shopping if something is needed. Go to the beach (lots of space). No bars, parties, or likely uncontrolled environments. Always have a mask, hand sanitizer in the car, washing hands etc. Compliance with MAK wearing is less here than NY say for comparison, but it has gone way up over the summer. In Jacksonville, there is a mask order in place. But I have met many people who are offended by such, and believe it is a matter of free choice. They have a point, and I choose to wear one. I have driven through Georgia, and made pit stops off of I-95 and did not see a mask in sight.

They do not have a point. Your (not you, but anyone) rights do not trample my right to life.

Based on what has transpired over the last 24 hours - best to wait until sometime in November to visit. If you need recommendations on places to stay/visit DM me. Happy to help. Karen

This. Riding bikes is fine. Eating at appropriate socially distance compliant restaurants is fine. Tasting wine at outdoor tasting facilities is fine. You will have to do your homework though to find places that do outdoor tastings (if the indoor ones are still closed). I view the fires as the rate limiting factor here, not COVID. People have figured out how to do the right thing for COVID. Sitting on your wallet doesn’t help the economy in any form or fashion and is just going to make the overall economic pain worse for everyone.

And try to stop by Jean Edwards Winery, their wines are phenomenal!

Rob, it’s not quite the same, but why not set up a day of virtual tastings? I’m sure if you told them it’s for your birthday, your favorites would be thrilled to make it work, sending you wines ahead of time. Plus, if you do it from home, you can pack in a whole pile more tastings. And it’d be a way to support wineries struggling both from the pandemic and the fires.