Napa Valley Vintners - Open The Cellar 3/30-31

2003 MONTELENA ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 750 for $250.00. Who would buy that?

Wine Library has it for $75
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/chateau+montelena+cabernet+sauvignon+the+montelena+estate/2003

That was the worst of them but i check i think 8 or 9 and each one i found lower across the web where it is not close

Matt check out a bunch as well. After they gauge the consumer for super high priced shipping it just amplifies the terrible deal.

Another nothingburger…

As if they cab wasn’t a big enough ripe off they want $75 for the 2010 Chardonnay that is $42 at the Wine Club in San Fran.

Another nothingburger…

Someone must be buying these wines. I just find it funny that Montelena thought they were doing their wine club members a steady by offering the 2003 for $250.00. Not a club I want to join.

They must, otherwise why invest the ad dollars. I’d love to see a post-promotion sales report to see what they actually sell. Either way, hope it’s helping those that need it.

They must, otherwise why invest the ad dollars. I’d love to see a post-promotion sales report to see what they actually sell. Either way, hope it’s helping those that need it.

With the tough economy I no doubt think everyone needs to make any money which is why the jacked up prices make no sense. They don’t make sense in good times. If they were smart they would lower prices and get wines into hands of those who have not had their wines in hope they will become a future customer.

I don’t buy from any of the wineries listed except Seavey and I know they already charge a premium for their library wines.

Seeing more and more of the “opportunities” presented by wineries. For instance, Ridge is doing a virtual tasting and are offering the wines for sale that will be at the tasting:
2010 Monte Bello $330
2013 Geyserville $60
2013 Lytton Springs $60
2014 Boatman $45

Benchmark is offering the '10 MB at $221 with a “Provenance Guarantee” and '13 Geyserville can easily be found under $40 (and it’s not like you need to pay +50% for provenance for a '13 Geyserville). They aren’t advertising this as anything other than a virtual tasting, i.e. not asking for our support during these hard times or anything, and you don’t need to buy the wines to participate in the tasting, but those are some pretty serious markups!

Seeing more and more of the “opportunities” presented by wineries. For instance, Ridge is doing a virtual tasting and are offering the wines for sale that will be at the tasting:
2010 Monte Bello $330
2013 Geyserville $60
2013 Lytton Springs $60
2014 Boatman $45

Benchmark is offering the '10 MB at $221 with a “Provenance Guarantee” and '13 Geyserville can easily be found under $40 (and it’s not like you need to pay +50% for provenance for a '13 Geyserville). They aren’t advertising this as anything other than a virtual tasting, i.e. not asking for our support during these hard times or anything, and you don’t need to buy the wines to participate in the tasting, but those are some pretty serious markups!

2010 Monte Bello at Wine.com $199.00. I have never purchased from them but don’t they have a bunch of discount deals.

I don’t get what these wineries are thinking. Someone help me figure out these over the top prices. [head-bang.gif]

That 2010 MB for $199 would be a great deal with a reatilmenot 20% off and stewardship free shipping (see deals thread). Unfortunately that price doesn’t show up for west coast store :frowning:

Fully agree, seems off message given the times for anyone who knows anything about wine and the industry

I cant’ find the Pott offer. Can someone send me the link to it please?

SZZimmermann wrote: ↑Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Agree re Pott. I bought.
I cant’ find the Pott offer. Can someone send me the link to it please?

That was from the first offering. Must have been the only thing sold out 2 weeks ago.

Missed this great deal from Montelena.

Enjoy $1.00 FedEx Priority Overnight shipping on any order of 12 bottles or more. Mix and match with this special library vintage, as well as your other Montelena favorites. Just use the promo code “CELLAR” at checkout after creating an account.

It’s not part of the current “Open The Cellar” promo. It is still available, however:
https://www.pottwine.com/wines/detail?item=2016improbability

Again these prices have me scratching my head. It’s almost as if the wineries don’t have an idea as to the ‘real’ value of the wines offered. It’s a shame because if they were offered at realistic pricing, I would think people would be quicker to purchase to support the winery and to ensure provenance. Oh well…their loss.

Again these prices have me scratching my head. It’s almost as if the wineries don’t have an idea as to the ‘real’ value of the wines offered. It’s a shame because if they were offered at realistic pricing, I would think people would be quicker to purchase to support the winery and to ensure provenance. Oh well…their loss.

I don’t think we will get anyone on WB that disagrees with our assessment.

Its definitely very confusing. Would love to support some of these wineries directly…but the prices they’re asking for make it impossible. I just don’t get the strategy here.

A lot of wines I would like to own, but…