Napa Valley Vintners - Open The Cellar 3/30-31

Its definitely very confusing. Would love to support some of these wineries directly…but the prices they’re asking for make it impossible. I just don’t get the strategy here.

I don’t think they get the strategy. I had an interesting chat with the people at Montelena today and they really believed in the 2003 being worth $250.00

That’s probably what you would pay at a high end steakhouse so if that’s where they’re getting their data sample from…

Don’t forget to snag a few cases of Yao Ming’s Cab - only $350 per… [stirthepothal.gif]

Don’t forget to snag a few cases of Yao Ming’s Cab - only $350 per… > [stirthepothal.gif]

That sounds like the original price. What a bargain compared to these other library inflated prices. [cheers.gif]

Yeah, that’s just wild. Did you reference WineSearcher at all when you spoke to the Montelena folks? Like…they have to realize it’s available for a fraction of that from multiple retailers.

The only one that interests me is the maggie of 2013 Arrow & Branch Black Label at $295. Blend of Lewelling and Stagecoach. I love the 2016, but I think that has a dollop of Dr Crane in there (hence, probably why I love it). On the fence about ‘13, might grab one or two.

Yeah, that’s just wild. Did you reference WineSearcher at all when you spoke to the Montelena folks? Like…they have to realize it’s available for a fraction of that from multiple retailers.

Yes I told them you could get 3 bottles from Wine Library. All they seemed to care about is how they were doing their back vintages as a steady to wine club members. I could not get through to them.

I literally have no words.

with regards to most price points on the wines being offered, I quote GV from the old days … PAZZZZZ.

[cheers.gif]

My guess is that they usually sell these library wines at these prices from the tasting room to someone who likes their wines and wants to pick up some back vintages. Combination of alcohol and spur of the moment excitement but not knowledgeable buyers. With the tasting rooms closed this income stream has dried up hence these offerings.

2016 Clos du Val Cabernet Franc Hirondelle Vineyard
Wow $100 Cabernet Franc from Clos du Val.

https://shop.farniente.com/product/CAB-CAVE-FN-2003-750ML
Nothing like charge Cult like pricing for the Far Niente 2003 Cave Collection $390! Almost missed the 2002 for just a mere $450.

These prices are outrageous. What are they thinking?!

Wait there is more! Far Niente - 404 Error
2007 Dolce Winery Late Harvest (USA, California, Napa Valley) $350
Move over Chateau d’yquem.

They should rename this event Open The Wallet…

True .
Or “We’re f-'ed , please help us”.

True .
Or “We’re f-'ed , please help us”.

do you think if you had these library wines they would give us half of what they are trying to sell it for?

That’s a great call - I bet you’re spot on. That’s the only way it would make any sort of sense at all to throw out these types of prices. Real question is…are people actually buying from this ‘sale’??

That’s a great call - I bet you’re spot on. That’s the only way it would make any sort of sense at all to throw out these types of prices. Real question is…are people actually buying from this ‘sale’??

I am guessing no. They will offer the same wines at the end of April and maybe take 5% off. [thumbs-up.gif]