Need help finding the right Volnay.

Ah, I missed that. Sorry.

I too love Volnay, placing Lafarge at the top of the pantheon, with D’Angerville close behind. Of the producers mentioned here, I have to reiterate Y. Clerget (since 2015). I loved the 1ers but even the Village scratches the itch for a (relatively) reasonable price.

Pousse d’Or has been mentioned and IMO is seriously underrated; not the same style as Lafarge, but nobody is and they are closer than some.

Of course a lot of the magic in your experience was the combination of bottle age and setting. IMO Pousse d’Or combines some of the finesse with a lot of ageability and reasonable pricing. d’Angerville is justly reputed, but very different in style and I think even more expensive.

Another grower not mentioned who flies under the radar is Glantenay. I imported them in the past and IMO they have improved substantially. Despite having more renowned sites, their Clos des Chenes is IMO their best wine, from very old vines. Not a crazy price.

As you’re looking for birth year wine, I hope and assume you’re not planning to open for a long time. IMO Volnay can be long-lived. 2015 is a big structured vintage, but I would not assume that just any 2015 Volnay will be a Happy Camper at 21 years of age.

Dan Kravitz

I mentioned Pousse and I totally agree that they’re seriously underrated. For instance, ‘60 Ouvrees’ is phenomenal terroir right in the heart of Caillerets, it drinks well young, it ages well, and it can often be had for less than $100 (and always less than $150). They’re a little glossy but super tasty.

Surprised no one mentioned Comtes Lafon Volnay Santenots-du-Milieu 1er Cru. Yes it is “technically” not in Volnay but I drank a 2009 this year that was satiny, refined and although on the riper side, unmistakably Burgundy. Because it is a red these wines seem to command much lower prices than his whites (sort of like Ramonet) but that is just adding to the value. Checked the 2014 and you can get it for about $135.00 on wine searcher. This is a vintage that will probably age nicely if you believe in the more classic style of Burgundy.

I think everyone has their favorite volnay; mine are Rossignol (#1 burg producer in my cellar), #angerville, and Clerget. I have started getting into bouley and Clos de la chapelle shouldn’t be overlooked.

Thank you to everyone for some great feedback!

just wanted to add that i opened a glantenay santenots from 2010 in november and was pretty damn impressed with the quality. very underrated producer.

also picked up some henri boillot caillerets 1er from 2009 for $89/bottle recently…very excited to try those as well.

ive had very good luck with volnay…my favorite portion of beaune.

A lot of great info here, but for another QPR I would add try Francois Gaunoux Volnay Chene. They don’t use any oak and strive for a real transparency. I recently drank my last '02 was in a very good place. They do drink well young, as there is no wood to integrate. I did drink one of the 15’s and found it very approachable, but not sure I would buy it as a birthyear wine for long deep storage.

I have couple of bottles of 2010 Glantenay Clos du Brouillards. At what age should they be drunk?

Lafarge Beaune Greves is in that price range, and a fantastic bottle most vintages. Wine-searcher shows several vintages available.

Both of the two domaines Glantenay have holdings in Brouillards, but never saw either of them put “Clos” on the label. But which is it?

You are correct. The wines do not say Clos. The winery now is called Bernard and Thierry Glatenay according to the website of US importer Weygandt-Metzler. Bought the wine several years ago at their DC retail store called Weygandt Wines.

Thierry’s wines are quite supple which can make them seem deceptively forward. I would be tempted to wait another five years though I’m sure it would drink well today.

Thanks

2022 - 2025 are good dates for the Brouillards. This is their largest holding and IMO not particularly distinguished, although anything from them in 2010 will be wonderful.

Dan Kravitz

A really under appreciated producer…a big +1

1 Like

Pierrick Bouley has taken over from his parents, Reyane and Pascal, and has upped the game considerably and offers great QPR in Volnay. Lyle Fass imports his wine. I visited and did a tasting a little over a year ago and was impressed.

1 Like

question: when you say Rossignol, which one are you talking about? there are so many different producers with the name Rossignol on the label!

Nicolas Rossignol