New cool book on Champagne

My three pack arrived today. Looks very cute. I will try to read some of it tonight and comment on it. Certainly the antithesis of Federal Reserve lending programs.

Thank you Frank & Mr. Campbell for telling me about Wine Berserkers. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind comments/messages, orders, requests & interests for my book. For the last 5 years, I have been traveling to Champagne & learned so many things I didn’t learn from wine schools & classes. I wanted to find a way to communicate all the things that made Champagne fascinating as well as interesting & I have decided to work on this book with endless help from Champagne growers/friends. Although I had to give everything I had & beyond to create this book for the last couple of years, I am grateful every day for opportunities to learn new things & meet wonderful people like you here at Wine Berserkers through this project. With your kindness, support & help, I was able to give it a go for the 2nd printing in the beginning of this week. Thank you very much again for everything & I hope I will have a chance to say thank you to each one of you in the near future.

Sincerely,
Yoko

The main reason I got into champagne was my daughters in laws .I bought the books for them, and they love them.Thanks for your work and dedication Yoko champagne.gif

Yoko, you’re welcome. I admire the time and heart you put into your book, which Brig and I both recognize.

We have a wonderful community here, with a lot of serious and passionate Champagne drinkers. I hope you will post here occasionally, to bring your experience and perspective to our discussions.

Congratulations on your success and thanks again for the book.:heart_eyes:

Welcome Yoko,

What was the thought process behind the decision to hand draw the book? The content is very fact-based, short and sweet, almost bullet-point like you’d see in a PowerPoint presentation. Probably lots of the content was gleaned from powerpoints but it doesn’t read like that. It’s ‘fun’ to read. I’ll look at the pages and find interesting artistic deals like the dots above every letter “i” and the use of hearts.

If you’re every in southern California it’d be great to share a bottle.

champagne.gif

Mr. Maguire - thank you & I am happy to hear your daughters-in-law enjoy the book.

Frank - thank you Frank for everything. It’s always a pleasure to connect with people who are passionate about Champagne.

Mr. Campbell - thank you & love your questions - you got me thinking! One of the things I love about Champagne is the craftsmanship that goes into each bottle from grape growing to winemaking. And I wanted to reflect & respect it by making this book with my hands. Also, I had no intention of doing a book at first. Because some of the technical aspects of Champagne making were easier to communicate in drawings than words (e.g. massale selection, solera vs perpetual, etc), I started drawing & posting on my Instagram. Producers, importers & wine buyers were telling me that they were using them for training, tasting & education. One day, François of Champagne Huré FrÚres said it would be a good idea to make them into a book & that was the beginning of this project.

For PowerPoint format - I wanted to cover many things from grape growing to winemaking to food pairing/tasting, but also wanted to keep them as simple & clear as possible. Like Mr. Brad (Baker) mentions in the thread, the actual page is the size of a postcard. I could work on a bigger paper, but I was concerned I would put too much information vs my goal of this book was to make it fun & approachable for everyone.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I haven’t been to California for a long time, but I now have a reason to!

Thank you Yoko!

Because of your book, I’ve been carefully reviewing my to-taste list and made some changes in the order. I ‘moved up’ the list my rose des riceys tasting list (At current rate, it was scheduled for next spring) , and I visited Olivier Horiot '15 with two vineyards side by side: En barmont and En valingrain. Each has its uniqueness and special match to some of my favorite appetizers. Not the same appetizers, though! A '15 test side by side was very rewarding (I was planning on '14 side by side but was able to get both '15s first).

Needless to say recommend the book, and rose des riceys tasting for all.
æœŹćœ“ă«æœ‰é›Łă†ă”ă–ă„ăŸă™ă€‚

Yoko - this book is amazing! I love it.

Er€z _ L. - Thank you very much for your message!! It makes me so happy to hear about your interest in rose des riceys :slight_smile: I have been a big fan of this mysterious wine but was never able to find much information & it was in fact Olivier Horiot who has helped me to create those pages. Your side by side terroir comparison tasting sounds truly interesting & educational. The production is small & not always easy to find, but Olivier along with 2 of his friends also work on a super interesting project called “Contrees” which is a set of 4 champagnes all made from 100% Pinot Noir of the same vintage & the same vinification but from different terroirs of Les Riceys. I once did a blind tasting of this collection side by side & it was one of the most fascinating tastings to remember! Here’s the link to the site: ContrĂ©es Champagne - Arnaud LAMOUREUX - Elise DECHANNES - Olivier HORIOT

Mr. Lipkin - thank you!! It was so kind of you to do the Instagram post with a bottle of Champagne Pierre Gimonnet. Both Didier (Gimonnet) & I were excited & touched by your gesture.

I’m reading this again. It really is amazing. Artisanship, subjects, presentation etc.

Brilliant

I hadn’t seen this thread before, so I’m thrilled it got bumped to the top. The advocacy many shared in this thread prompted me to order a copy, which I am now anxiously awaiting it to arrive. I crave new champagne content, and this is exactly what I am looking for after (re)reading Liem’s wonderful book.

1 Like

You’ll enjoy it.

And now, thanks to the Beatles documentary Get Back, we know @Yoko_S did not break up John and Paul.

Yoko, Come Back!

1 Like

Just seeing this thread for the first time. Order in.

Yoko is gonna be jazzed to see the new orders. Thank you guys for supporting her work.

Almost 3 years late to the party, but thanks for sharing this. Your passion for this project is evident and admirable, and enough of a reason to check out this book. I can’t wait!

I hope she will stop back by and post. I don’t think she visits here but maybe Brig’s tag will get her attention. Enjoy her book, Brian.

1 Like

ordered one as well!

1 Like

@brigcampbell @Frank_Murray_III thank you very much for your kind words & support for my little project. After working for the harvest in Champagne last year, I decided to focus my energy on learning about grape-growing & organic/biodynamic farming & that has been why I have been taking a little break from everything. I am off to France & England for 3 months to get hands-on experience on the subject & I hope I get to share what I learn in my next book. I sincerely appreciate your kindness & support for my book.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will be sending out your order this afternoon. I hope you like my book.

1 Like

@J_Rock @JosephChong thank you so much. I am sending out your order this afternoon.