New UPS Wine Shipping Restrictions...

Just had an order made months ago from a NY retailer cancelled due to new UPS regs

Jam works, too. Similar weight for the volume.

I do find it funny that people are blaming UPS, when it is the state governments, at the behest of wholesalers, who are cracking down on shipments, leading to these issues.

Regional perspective. Where I live, UPS service is vastly superior to fedex

I routinely receive wine from a NYS retailer shipped via UPS to my NYS address. I have not noticed any change in the last decade.

Shipping within the state is not an issue.

Shipping from a wine retailer in one state to a consumer in another state IS the issue - at least in most states.

For example, for many years it has been illegal for an out-of-state wine retailer to ship wine into NYS, but the law has rarely been enforced. But NYS wholesalers were tired of losing business to out-of-state companies, so last fall they pressured the NYS Attorney General, and the AG in turn told UPS and Fedex that they needed to start enforcing the law. UPS and Fedex informed wine retailers across the country that they would no longer accept shipments of wine destined for NYS.

There are still some exceptions. Some smaller retailers have gone under the radar and have continued to ship via the major shipping companies. Not sure how, but they do.

Some retailers are using independent third party shipping companies who transport the wine to their NYS facility, at which point it’s no longer illegal for Fedex or UPS to pick it up and deliver it to the final destination.

As well, the law does NOT apply to wineries, who can continue to ship to NYS. Nor does it apply, apparently, to auction houses. (I’m not sure about this one, but AFAIK all the major auction houses continue to ship to NYS.)

The NYS interstate wine shipping law is currently being challenged, and has made it past the first round. But it has a long, long way to go still. You can follow the progress of the bill here:

Bad news for those of us New Yorkers who bought a lot of 2015 and 2016 bdx futures from out of state retailers. Hope this doesn’t leave us high and dry. Seems there’s always bad news around the corner for wine buyers #premiercru

In case it becomes a major issue Connecticut does not ban out of state purchases. If you know someone there that solves the problem. If not, you can consider opening a storage account in CT and keeping the wine there until you need it. Horseridge is the one I know which has an excellent reputation. Several of my friends store there.

Horse Ridge is great. Jed, the owner, is in my tasting group. Great guy.

Jay, David-

Unfortunately, Connecticut prohibits collectors from receiving retail shipments (including auctions) from out of state. The relevant Fedex and UPS charts are linked below. Shipping to CT is NOT a legal work around for NYS collectors buying wine out of state.

Also for the comments above that intrastate shipping is always ok, as you can see from these charts, there are plenty of states where shipping inside a given state is also prohibited, as crazy as that might sound.

Hmph…luckily I don’t buy from out of state retailers anymore…yep…that’s right…

I’d be in trouble if I had to follow this strategy.

Thanks for reminder that I still have NJ as an option

Don’t know if it’s been covered here but UPS now seems to have designated some of its ‘retail’ store locations as ACCESS POINTS. From what I can tell you now have the option of re-routing wine deliveries so you can pick them up at a nearby UPS store (just like FedEx has been doing). This is very helpful (if it’s true) if you have wine shipped to a residence and don’t think anyone will be around to sign for it.

I don’t know if this is universal, but I can’t receive wine at my Access Point (Long Island). The system generates an exception and it’s routed to my address. Everything else goes there without a problem (though for Victor’s sake I’ll add that I’ve never ordered guns or ammo [wink.gif] ).

Rerouting a Fedex shipment of wine to my local Fedex/Kinko’s is never a problem.

It has to do with the adult signature requirement. The ACCESS POINTS do not want the responsibility of verifying age/alcohol.

Just heard yesterday that a large west coast retailer will soon no longer be able to ship to Colorado using FedEx (UPS was blocked a while ago). They have a 3rd party shipper lined up to fill the void and they say shipping costs will be approximately the same as with FedEx (and it’s temperature controlled shipper as well!), so maybe this won’t be a big deal.

I live in Nassau County and not too far from the UPS hub (not UPS store ) in Uniondale . I let UPS make 1 delivery attempt (sometimes an adult is home ), and if unsuccessful then I reroute the package to the hub and then go pick it up.

I just got an email from a NY retailer who said that “soon” they will be dealing with severe restrictions on where they can ship, and they don’t know yet what states will be affected. I am getting a few bottles shipped on Monday, against my better judgment, as a result. Highs in the mid-70s. I’d much rather wait a month but it is typically overnight to DC.

As has been requested on similar threads, please do not post actual names of retailers who have found a way to ship wine to your state. UPS and Fedex did not wake up one morning and decide not to ship wine because they didn’t feel like it. They stopped because the states are going after shippers, since that’s easier and more efficient than trying to make a case against individual retailers (a case that, based on Graham/Heald, they could arguably lose).

As the states become aware of these third party shippers, you can be sure they’ll go after them. It’s probably inevitable, but let’s not make it any easier.