New UPS Wine Shipping Restrictions...

Well I did this and the UPS hub can’t locate my package . Bummer .

I cannot even tell you how much of a bummer this is. For the longest time we could not get decent wine in Florida, it sounds like we will soon be back where we once were, in the dark ages. I have about 15 cases of wine sitting in New York City, it is still too hot to ship, hit 80° this afternoon in Orlando.

This used to happen to me all the time. The cause was always the driver not taking it off the truck after it was redirected. This hasn’t happened to me since I set up my local UPS store as my access point. They still won’t deliver wine to my access point, but it generates an exception when shipped and reroutes it to my home address. Once I get the exception, I change it to hold at the distribution center. That keeps it from ever getting on the truck. This also prevents an extra day of the wine sitting on the truck parked who knows where under who knows what conditions.

I actually did the redirect to the hub 3 days prior to the scheduled delivery - I just didn’t say it. This way it wouldn’t hit the delivery truck and stay at the depot-similar to what you do. Let’s hope it shows up. My guess is it’s out on a drivers truck and hopefully makes its way back to the hub today .

That’s also consistent with past experiences for me. Before I used the access point, I would try to redirect before delivery, the system would accept the redirect, and my wine would go on the truck anyway. Getting the access point exception first seems to keep UPS from missing the redirect, at least for packages going to the Uniondale hub.