New Wine-searcher.com interface

Thanks for your feedback. As the saying goes, we are ‘building this plane while flying it’. There’s a new technical architecture behind the page (one of those once-every-10-years type of events) that will let us serve better search results with more accurate pricing - to a desktop or a phone. Today’s design update has the same functionality as the old design. Nothing is lost. We have a new platform to build on and we are happy to listen to feedback from 'Beserkers.

A dedicated ‘Preferences’ feature is coming. Settings such as price alerts, your own personal ratings, currency choice, favorite stores, and cellar calculator can all be found in the menu under sign in.

To turn off Auctions go to the filter ‘OFFER TYPE’ and uncheck the box Auctions. Same for By Request /Marketpalce stock.

To see prices from Last month, 2 months, 3 months, last year, 2 years etc. go to the ‘PRICE OPTIONS’ filter, and select from the menu that begins with ‘Current Prices’.

‘From the same producer’ has moved to the bottom of the page. The reason being its easy to scroll down and we can now show the labels.

Any change you make should last for an entire session - as long as your browser is open- / day. (It irks me too having to deselect Auctions. Expect a more permanent setting when the new ‘Preferences’ goes live).

As an engineer…maybe this is why I like the new interface so much!

While it may be additional “work”, I think the user interface is more visually friendly and allows you to drill down to see exactly what you want.

Recalling back to my user interface design days I believe it would be more technically described as having menus with more depth and less breadth (or maybe its the other way around, its been over a decade) which allows your brain to process information in smaller bits rather than getting overwhelmed with information. This isn’t an issue for power users on a user interface, which I would venture to say most Berserkers are in regard to wine-searcher. But for the average user, its very easy to get overwhelmed with lots of information on the screen and lost in the noise.

TW

Awesome. Long time, satisfied user, and very happy with customer service on the few occasions I’ve had to use it

i spoke too soon. when deselecting the market place option i still get a slew of listings from westgarth wines, wine cellarage, etc for wines clearly from a broker’s list on pre arrival

Ross, don’t let us get you down, we are just natural complainers [wow.gif] And very much appreciate you checking in and helping out. One thing I tend to do a lot is to search on a particular producer, then open multiple tabs with different wines. The “Offer type” isn’t sticking in those newly opened tabs. Hopefully your “Preferences” option, when it comes along, may solve that, just giving you another use case to test.

Cheers!

Thanks. Genuine desire on our end to take on feedback from Beserkers.

Sorry :neutral_face: , an offer type selection won’t carry across multiple tabs. A Preferences option is needed. Based on what I’m seeing here, we’ll kick it towards the top of the to-do list.

I’m afraid to look what if it makes it easier to buy?

“As an engineer…maybe this is why I like the new interface so much!” The team in white-lab-coats (actually jeans and chinos these days) thank you. It’s a difficult interface design call trying to get the balance right between more information (there’s an all new column with delivery and minimum order info), clarity and clear space around the final price you pay, and recognizing that some of us don’t have the vision we once had at age 20; so let keep the font size reasonable.

[cheers.gif]

Hi Ross, thanks for the opportunity to share responses.

The “Ugh, another new interface to adjust to” reaction started to fade within 5 minutes, so this shouldn’t be too hard to adapt to.

The “Retail Stores - in stock and available for sale at the price shown” option is welcome and potentially very useful. It needs tweaking, as it is not excluding sellers that are obviously advertising wines not in stock, with “Pre-Arrival” and 10-14 day earliest ETAs included in the listing.

I don’t love it, mainly because the screen real estate is not as generous. In case WS people are reading this thread:

1. I would like to get rid of the banner image, as this takes way too much real estate for a search engine or any website really. Or shrink it down by over half. And this may even let their ad sponsor come onto the main page on some listings with not that many search results… so it can make business sense.
  2. The listings could be thinner as well (e.g. thinner rows). You don’t need to list the name of the wine again and again, taking up real estate (I recognize the listings have slightly different text, but you will probablly click on the link anyway to see what is there). I do not see the obvious utility of “stay safe we are delivering”, as I imagine any offers should be someone delivering / or this could be thinned down to reduce row height.
  3. I would like the ability to set “Favorite Countries” instead of just Favorite Store or go by country. I can buy from some countries, but not all. And its too tedious to mark all stores from these countries as Favorites or mark every store from other countries not a Favorite.
  4. Would change the order of tabs. Would move reviews to #2, analytics to #3,
  5. would even pull in the reviews somehow onto the main dashboard page
  6. Would be mildly useful to have a toggle out of “excluded merchants” to see if others were advertising the wine, etc. even if you were unlikely to buy from them.

** Just saw WS folks are looking at this thread. I would love #3 implemented!!! Maybe others as well feel the same way?

I’m fine with the new interface. I figured that there was an updated back-end, something necessary as browsers and UI tech evolves. I’m not sure it’s better yet.

How do I change between list and tile view?

I think it’s only an option when you are searching for all the wines of a producer. Upper right, click “See all”. When that loads you’ll see the two icons upper right for tile or list.

Ah. Thanks!

Great Feedback. Thanks. 5 out of 6 will make it into a discussion later today.
#2 is the odd man out as the norm these days is that ‘we are more comfortable scrolling’ up and down than we were a few years back.
The ‘Stay Safe we are delivering’ is a direct response to the shifting retail conditions brought on by Covid-19 and associated geographic lock-downs. That banner also appears on a store’s profile page on Wine-Searcher and links to any special delivery conditions eg. curb-side delivery.

Gotta say I’m with sh@n on #2. Having to scroll 3 times as much new vs old is a royal pain. The “stay safe” tag just takes up useless space, let the stores web site display that prominently if they want. Seems like WB’s goal is to get us to their page as easily as possible. If you feel you need all that info, I’d strongly suggest you consider having a “streamlined” mode, which looks more like your old version.

Hi, Yes you are right. There is a new back-end/architecture to take us into the future with faster searches that exactly match the words you searched for, and intuitive search results that point to wines (or spirits) using the words you typed in when these are not specific enough to identify a single wine.

If we can match the words in your search to a specific wine you will see a list of offers from stores that sell that particular wine.

If the search is open to interpretation eg. ‘Californian Cabernet,’ we will show you different Californian Cabernets to help you choose a specific one. That’s when you see the new tile view with label pictures. Look for the tile/list toggle icon in the top right to change the view.

Nailed it Alan, Thanks.