Newbie Pinot Noir Recommendations

Get on the Rivers Marie list and when the Pinot release comes around, get yourself 3x Sonoma (always great) and splurge on one of the single vineyards.

1 Like

Faiveley Mercurey 2018. Probably ~$30 or so and very good for drinking now.

Sandler. Ed does a pretty good take on many different vineyards that he has worked with over the years. A big BD favorite.

Contemporary red Burgundy is a very different animal than it was in the past when the ripening of the fruit often left a lot to be desired. Look to CĆ“te de Nuits-Villages and Savigny-Les-Beaune at your price point, both of which can offer a lot of pleasure young.

1 Like

Kutch

Any burgundy recommendations?

There is a Loring sale right now - 30% off for Black Friday and free shipping on 6 or more that looks very good. I would buy except that I have too much wine. I have no affiliation and, other than meeting Brian once or twice at FMIIIā€™s house, my only relationship is that I am a buyer.

2019 Kessler-Haak [NO RELATION AND THEY SPELLED IT WRONG!] Vineyard Pinot Noir, Sta. Rita Hills
Wine Enthusiast - 93 Points

Alluring aromas of raspberry and blackberry with hints of cinnamon. Very rich and yet incredibly smooth wine. Possibly our BEST Kessler-Haak Pinot ever - and thatā€™s saying something.

Your Discounted Price: $39.53
Suggested Retail Price: $59.00

2018 Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir
Jeb Dunnuck - 90 to 92 Points

Sports a deep ruby/plum color as well as notes of candied cherries, violets, Asian spices, and underbrush. Itā€™s another rounded, polished, incredibly attractive wine from Loring that has plenty of fruit and texture, good complexity, and a balanced, approachable style.

Your Discounted Price: $22.11
Suggested Retail Price: $33.00

Au Bon Climat. Their Santa Barbara appellation Pinot is a smoking value at $25

2 Likes

For great value Burgundy in that price range* Sylvain Pataille is definitely worth seeking out.

*in the UK, though itā€™s cheap enough that I expect it should still work in the US.

We like Evesham Wood, St. Innocent, Vincent, Belle Pente, Goodfellow, Anderson Family, Biggio Hamina, J Craw, Ladd Cellars, Longplay, Luminous Hills, and Westrey

Any Pinot or Chardonnay out of the Sleepy Hollow vineyard, which was made either by our very own Joe Davis [Arcadian] or by Sam Balderas [Talbott].

Note that Evil Inc purchased Talbott in 2015, and I wouldnā€™t give Evil Inc so much as a wooden nickel for any of the subsequent vintages.

I think Balderas stepped down at some point [maybe circa 2008?], but Iā€™m not quite sure when it was.

Back in the day, Balderas made a table wine [less than $14.99 on the East Coast], called ā€œSamantha Starrā€, which was the best Cal Pinot I ever tasted.

Thanks again for all the recommendations!

BerserkerDay can`t get here soon enough!

The pinot noir that weve been enjoying quite a bit in the last few weeks is the 2019 Chehalem Chehalem Mountains Pinot Noir. Central Market has had it on sale for $19.99 and with their 20% wine sale, its been our favorite everyday drinker lately. It doesn`t get much love on WB but it is now in our regular rotation with the Patricia Green Reserve.

Nice! I worked the harvest at Chehalem last year. Katie is a really solid winemaker and some of their Vineyards are top notch! (Ridgecrest). Definitely jump on their roseā€™ if you see it as well. They sell mostly through their club so you donā€™t see it too often.

Edit to add: I find the wines a touch on the bigger, fruitier, oakier side of things, but not in a bad way. Just trying to point out the style so you can maybe narrow down your preferences and find more producers you like.

Jadot Bourgogne Rouge is pretty easy to find

Savigny-les-Beaune from Claude Marechal, Pierre Guillemot, or Camus-Brochon. 2015s might still be drinking well with significant decanting. 2010-2014 likely shut down.

Plenty of good recommendations so far, but I thought Iā€™d throw in a few more Burgundies.

Faiveley Mercureys are extremely good and mostly in your price range. The base Mercurey is solid but the single vineyards (eg. Clos du Roy or Framboisiere) are a major step up and still affordable.

Bourgogne Rouge from good up-and-coming-ish producers (like Amiot-Servelle, Bertheau-Gerbet, Patrice Rion) can be great and is in your price point. These are just a few names - there are many many more.

Given the difficulties of shipping to Texas that Iā€™ve read about here, it could be helpful to find a good wine shop near where you live. Maybe some other Dallas folks can recommend one. In the small wine shops you can always get reasonable recommendations and the good thing about that is they will recommend what they have in stock. Some of the stuff mentioned here can be difficult to find.

i stumbled onto a Pinot from the Edna Valley AVA a couple months ago that was remarkably good, at least to my palletā€¦ I tend to favor more of a fruit forward pinot than one on the more bitter, acidic side. The owner is an ex CEO from Raytheon (Bill Swanson), and from what I can gather, has plenty of money to throw into his winery. At any rate, the wine is definitely worth a taste and within the OPā€™s price point; Center of Effort Wines.

Thatā€™s quite a name for a winery owned by a guy mostly known for being a plagiarist.

I had no idea. Didnā€™t even know his Raytheon background till I tried the wine. Couldnā€™t really care lessā€¦ Thereā€™s always a reason to call someone an asshole if you look hard enough. The wine is good, and thatā€™s all I care about. F the rest.

You have already tried PGC, which is a fantastic wine and I am a fan of. Two others that I have discovered during Berzerkers Days and have become regular buys for me are LongPlay and Briceland Vineyards. In fact, I emailed Andrew at Briceland not 10 minutes ago with an order. His Phelps Pinot and Rhondas Pinot are some of my favorites.