Newbie Pinot Noir Recommendations

I will add those to my already extensive list of Berserker Day producers I am planning on buying some bottles of. My credit card is going to be hurting for sure.

In other news, I was notified yesterday by Patricia Green that I have cleared the waitlist and have the option of the 6 or 12 bottle membership. Very excited as I`ve been on the waitlist for over a year now. Others that are already members, which bottles do you suggest I try?

Ive tried and enjoyed all of the following wines from PGC: Reserve, Estate, Lias (favorite so far), Freedom Hill, and the Volcanic Dundee Hills. Those are the ones I can find locally at a couple wine shops.

Sandler Bien Nacido is an awesome bottle to try.
Brian Loring has a deft hand when it comes to reasonably priced PN that delivers in multiples.

I love it when this kind of thing happens!
Ian: Thanks for recommending Longplay Wine!
Justin: You indicate that you enjoyed the PGC Lia’s - did you know that Lia’s Vineyard is the estate vineyard of Longplay Wine?
(I pretty much enjoy all the PGC pinots and have been selling fruit to them since 2010.)

I skipped Berserker Day last year due to fires/pandemic/bad mood but will be back with some really good Berserker offerings this January!

When I think of newbie I think of value.

Recent ones my wife and I have enjoyed are Alma de Cattleya, Balletto RRV, Copain Les Voisins, and Joseph Jewell RRV & Humboldt County.

I also echo above and still purchase Rivers-Marie, Loring, Sandler, and Scherrer (especially on futures and berserker day).

In addition to my burgundy refs earlier, my top few domestic Pinot recs would be

Briceland Alderpoint Vineyard
Vincent Ribbon Ridge
Evesham Wood Willamette Valley
Goodfellow Whistling Ridge
Twill Cellars Mollys Vineyard

Justin, this is a great recommendation since you asked about Burgundy. Also Parize 1er Cru Givrys and Clos Salomon Givry 1er Cru. Vintages 2017, 2018, and 2019 are all different and all worth trying. It would be great if you could compare two or three of those vintages of the same wine.

I am looking for a Pinot that is in the 20-30$ range. I have a lot of DN Cabs but want to spread out a bit…

No meiomi please…LOL

Franny Beck’s Our Wines……

BD special $14 delivered - multi-year vintages….

I bought a case two BDs ago, two cases this year.

You’re welcome! :wink:

1 Like

$20-$30 including shipping per bottle? You want to buy these in a store? By online by a 6/12 pack?

Sun Break has their base bottling for under $30

Vincent has a Pinot/Gamay mix in your range and a Gamay at the top of your range:

or as mentioned above, you can buy “Our Wines” for $19 bottle plus shipping (because BD is over)

Suzor has a bottle right at $30

I am sure there are options, and if you were looking for just 1-2 local bottles there are likely other options too. I find Montinore Estate in a several local stores and I always think that bottling is ok for a find at a bigger non geeky/upscale wine store. Mostly giving you Domestic options as it seems you buy a lot of DN so maybe you like domestic wines. That said, Cam does have Pinot bottlings under the DN label if that is your thing.

1 Like

I’ll add that I find DN’s pinots to be outstanding values if you like new world styles.

1 Like

The 2021 Champs Claude from Muzard is really good…fyi

1 Like