No Capsule Guy strikes again!

Heheh, what’s one more box of Oregon wine right? Between patty green, Vincent, Walter Scott, Shiba weichern, division and aerea… I think I’ve bought more Oregon wine this year than in all previous years combined.

The Kelley Fox wines are great. I don’t have as many as I’d like, because I already have too much wine, but absolutely love the ones I’ve bought.

-Al

Enjoying an enchanting Kelley Fox 2014 Momtazi as I read this.
Delicious. Drank over three days. Tight at first. Third night the best. Momtazi has more weight and spice than KF Maresh. Darker red fruit. Deeper color. Glad I have more bottles and vintages to enjoy over the next 20 years.

He’s quite active on Vivino - Sipping Fine Wine on Vivino

https://www.vivino.com/ES/es/belle-pente-pinot-noir-yamhill/w/6200316?year=2017

Just love this wine, BUT NOT ANYMORE, READ END! Belle Pente means “beautiful slope” for their 70 acre hillside vineyard & winery site in Willamette. Bright Ruby, aromas of red fruits, herb & hints of blossom notes. On the palate strawberry & cherry flavors, slight sweet undertones, herb notes & smooth tannins. Well balanced on a long finish ending with mineral herb notes. Great value, but THEY LEAVE CORK EXPOSED, I WILL NO LONGER DRINK WINE WITH CONTAMINATED CORKS. PROTECT YOUR CORK, WAX COSTS PENNIES!

[cheers.gif]

He “WILL NO LONGER DRINK WINE WITH CONTAMINATED CORKS”, but keeps tasting them…and bitching about them…because they’re free samples for his blog. https://sippingfinewine.com/sample-policy/

“Constructive criticism”, as he puts it. But, would rather blather in his own self-important echo chamber than ask a winemaker why they make this choice and why his weird obsession, er, concerns, may not be valid.

May I quote the great Italian novelist / philosopher Umberto Eco: “Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community. Then they were quickly silenced, but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It’s the invasion of the idiots.”

3 Likes

Doesn’t Jewish tradition require two seals on a wine? Not sure if the lack of a capsule would prevent some Orthodox Jews from trying her wines.

Well, if it’s not a kosher wine, two seals won’t make it so.

-Al

Dirt bag? Designated Bellydancer? Deciduous bark? Dubious busdriver? Downtown business?

Doddering blowhard?

Decommissioned bastard? Decrepit dingleberry? Disappointing buffoon?

I wonder which one he is…

:microphone: drop.

Someone tell Fu to lock this up.

1 Like

Delirious Blogger

FWIW I’m surprised by her comments about ‘heavy metals’, which I take to be a reference to the long outlawed lead capsules, rather than the likes of Richie Blackmore or Robert Plant. Now there might also be legitimate reasons she would not like modern plastic ‘foils’, but it struck me as rather disingenuous to reference something long since outlawed, as if it were the alternative to no foil at all.

This not intended to any way condone the blogger’s own ill-informed comments

She also mentioned dyes. And no, she’s obviously not referring to lead capsules. We’re talking products made in countries that export poorly plated scrap metal mixes as “stainless steel”. I just saw an ice cream scooper like that that looked like the plating was insufficient and the metal underneath was pocked out. Who knows what leeched into someone’s kid’s ice cream?

So, who knows what residuals might be left on the lips of bottles from some of these capsules? Yes, lead leaves residue. Yes, there are regulations. There are also counterfeit and substandard products of every type.

So, this guy is fine with naked bottles that are free, shipped from the winery to him, but he won’t buy them because some freak with cooties may have picked up a bottle on a store shelf in a very very unconventional manner, but is fine with lord-knows-what residuals in products made from recycling and other waste. Neither is anything near likely to ever encounter, but his heebie-jeebie particulates are much less likely.

I love this. Kelley responded a couple more times and just roasted the guy.

kelley_fox_wines
@sippingfinewine -Rather than choose to not purchase wines without corks that are covered, you wrote a winery that chooses not to cover their corks trying to get them to change their work to accommodate your personal issues. When you emailed me quite a while back, you told me about how you and your wife wash all of your groceries and you used a Halloween candy poisoning event along with potential Covid bioterrorism at wine stores as compelling reasons for me to cover my corks.
I didn’t respond to your email because it seems you are carrying trauma and it isn’t something I can help you with either personally or through my work. You didn’t stop there, though. You are trolling another person’s post about my work.

Rather an arrogant and snippy answer. Sounds like the troll got the response he/she wanted.

This guy is so worried about people touching corks that he apparently overlooked the pigeage involved in production…

While Kelley obviously has the right side of the argument, I do wonder whether that kind of sledgehammer as a response to a single online nut is the better approach, as opposed to just ignoring him, or maybe a simpler reply like

“Many of the world’s fine wines are bottled without a foil capsule, and there is no effect on the quality or safety of the contents as a result. Here is a link to an article from the Wine Spectator explaining that the capsules are merely decorative and traditional at this point: Is the capsule on a wine bottle important? | Wine Spectator

The response also raises a critique of wineries that do use foils, and I don’t think that’s really helpful in responding to this guy.

I don’t own a business, and I’m sure “if and how to reply to online trolls” is a tough decision that varies on a case by case basis.

1 Like