No longer can afford Giuseppi Rinaldi- who is the ballpark?

Ignoring the instructions completely, I think I’d go for the 2010 Bartolo Mascarello Freisa!

Alternatively for something marginally closer to maturity, something that appeals from the AR.PE.PE range under Lombardy. Hopefullly others can comment on producers, but I think 2011 Barbaresco is a decent idea.

and for dessert please, please try some if this if you’ve never had it Gino Pedrotti Vino Santo (0,375l) … 2002 50,00 € 55,00 €
(the vino santo wines of Trentino aren’t deliberately oxidised in the manner of Tuscan vin santo, offering a wonderfully bright/intense dessert wine that showcases the wonderful Nosiola grape.

I wouldn’t be able to pass up on the 06 Bartolo Mascarello.

For under E100, maybe one of the Brovia ‘12s. 2012 was an under appreciated vintage and should be drinking nicely.

I had the ‘11 Brovia base bottling Wednesday and it showed all the qualities I don’t like in the vintage—slightly sweet, candied fruit and a bit of alcohol peaking out. So I’d avoid that.

Thank you John, admittedly, my best experience with '11 was actually with Bartolo Mascarello and it wasn’t anything like the '11 Brovia you describe… I am not familiar with Brovia, so might give that '12 a try. I’ve seen it mentioned on this thread.

Ian, that wasn’t the instruction indeed, but guess what…the first I dined here (a year ago?) my wife and I tried the exactly this wine, the 2010 Bartolo Mascarello Freisa. However, we didn’t know anything about this variety, and to our (not so positive) surprise, it was “pétillant”. Apparently, that’s the old school style of freisa, but we were expecting something more akin to nebbiolo… not really the case! Nice experience though.

Did someone mentioned that it had to be the same style ? Chiara Boschis for me is within the top 10 producer .same applies for vajra/baudana .

Hi Jozef
IIRC it’s the Vajra Kyè that is vinified like a Barolo.
Regards
Ian

If the OP is looking for a substitute for Giuseppe Rinaldi it only makes sense to suggest producers making wine in a similar style

Francesco Rinaldi is the obvious choice as the terroir is very similar. I had the 2013 F. Rinaldi Brunate last night and it is a gorgeous wine. I have not had it side by side with the G. Rinaldi 2013 but experienced tasters who have found them to be of similiar-ish quality.

You can still find F. Rinaldi Brunate 2013 for under $60 in the U.S which is amazing to me given the quality.

G. Rinaldi to me is my favorite producer historically but I have not bothered to buy a single bottle of the 2014 and 2015. It appears prices continue to rise while quality is slipping, although it’s two tough vintages so 2016 will be the next real test. But at the prices they are going for in the U.S now, the G. Rinaldi needs to be the wine of the vintage to not be overpriced.

That was my assumption, too.

This isn’t entirely true anymore. Her brother is having more and more influence and they absolutely have a score of Botte in the cellar(unless she got a rid of them in a fit in the past 3 years, but I highly doubt it). Also, while she is still using barrique, there is less use of new barrique.

That said, Pira E Figli is still nothing remotely like G Rinaldi. Just more wanted to clarify from my visit there a few years back

Thanks for the suggestions, already own several vintages and regularly drink Vajra BdV which I adore, but it ain’t G Rinaldi Brunate. The Vajra BdV, though is my all round favorite btl of Barolo when you take into consideration is such a great value. I own 2010 & 2013 Cavalottos and drank one 2010 so far which I also very much enjoyed but not remembering it being in Rinaldi’s league either. Have not had Cappellano nor Cogno. I’ll look into those.

F rinaldi is probably the closest. Riserva is bomb

The bolded part was my point. I’ve often liked her wines, and have found the oak visible but not overpowering. But I doubt that most G Rinaldi fans would consider her wines a substitute.

We had an excellent visit there in October 2017 and tasted their entire lineup. Very nice visit, hosted by one of the members of the family. Quite a lot of good stuff. My wife thought the Cavalotto Bricco Boschis was the best wine of the entire trip. I gave it second place after the Scavino Bricco Ambrogio.Good value at under $100 BUT the 2017 crop is tiny due to the lack of rain.

I’ve got some 08s of the Brunate Le Coste I love.

How would you know that you loved them unless you were opening them about 40 or 50 years too soon?

SRSLY.

Stop opening them, hide them way the heck in the back of your cellar [where you’ll never find them again], and force yourself to forget that you ever owned them in the first place.

S.R.S.L.Y.

Hi, Craig

some really special wines I’ve tasted since ProWein this past March, or during my collective 7 weeks in Langhe since then (will be there again tomorrow night), and some that you may not have had recently/ever:

Massolino Vigna Rionda
Cavallotto Riserva San Giuseppe

(the most recent release of each are wonderful)

Sottimano Barbaresco Currá (you can probably still find 2014)

There are several others I can recommend, but those are a good start.

This week I’ll re-taste several, including the 2015 Elio Grasso Chiniera, which is quite lovely.

That said, Carlotta’s/G. Rinaldi wines are in, as you know, rarified air; the aforementioned will offer great pleasure in their own way(s).

Cavallotto, 2015, in general is flat out exciting.

The 2016 Barolo Classico wines will debut in just 8 weeks, fwiw.

LOL! How would I know anything about Rinadi if I didn’t open one??? Rinaldi, or at least my '08 appear to drink great young too just like Rousseau often does from Burgundy. Don’t know if you’ve had an 08 but I have zero regrets and only fond memories of that spectacular, head turning, epiphany blt. And, I do have two more for down the line that will be opened at much later dates. Well, not too late as I’m working on 65 next year :slight_smile:.

Thank you Tim! I’ve had the basic Massoino Barolo about a year ago and loved it. Forgot to seek it out. Ill look into the Vigna Rionda. In the past I’ve not been a Sottimano fan. “G. Rinaldi wines are in, as you know, rarified air.” Yep, so it seems. I’m stopped buying Rousseau from Burgundy a while back and found J&L Trapet to be a nice, semi under the radar but world class substitute for Rousseau the now ubber expensive Rousseau.

Thanks Rob, I bought 5 of 2013 F Rinaldi a while ago and drank my first last year. Great producer for the price. I share your admiration.

“Eat, drink and be merry, for we know not the hour of our death”

Seriously