No longer can afford Giuseppi Rinaldi- who is the ballpark?

John, thanks for tip. I had the Brovia base Barolo 2012 last night. My quick notes: “Brovia barolo 2012. Bought in restaurant. Remarkably open for business. Perfumed, airy nose, serious with a subtle touch with of rose petals. Already decently integrated tannins. Medium length. Excellent with simple Italian dishes!”. My experience with 2012s has been quite good so far.

Food was a veal carpaccio with straciatella foam, a pasta with italian sausage and herbs (no tomatoes) and a selection of 3 Piemonte cheeses.

Glad to hear that the recommendation worked out.

Good thread to revisit with the 16’s now in market. F Rinaldi still looks like a heck of a value along with some other names mentioned. I have a bunch of Cavallotto on order. Goodd pricing in the NY market.

cheers

The 2016 reviews from Chiara Boschis (E. Pira) are pretty spectacular across several reviewers, and all under $150. I’d start there for this current vintage.

Stylistically very different from Rinaldi though

I am a fan of Paolo Scavino, many of which bottlings can be had for under $100.

Isn’t Scavino sitting firmly in the modernist camp? While some Scavinos can be pretty great, they really aren’t a substitute for Rinaldi. It’s like trying to replace BAMA with Insignia.

Definitely agree with Otto here