NYC Grand Cru Burgs Dec 30th FULL. PLEASE POST WINES

Hi Tom, I just called to make a reservation at PDH under Jonathan’s name at 6:30 PM on Monday, 1/30. Asking about the q that you have. If you want to call in and see what you can do, please do. They are going to call me back. Being a little cryptic as we have visitors on the boards =).

Happy holidays to everyone this week. See you next week.

People, this is just about as good as it gets. It is evident that we need a white. I do not have anything high end but I have a Grand Cru Chablis. I will bring 16 Fevre Les Preuses. It is young. This is not the time to hold back!

Hey guys

Sorry haven’t responded earlier. Have been a bit busy.

See you guys on 30th. Still need to figure out the wine.

Hey guys

I am going to figure out my wine on 26th/27th. Too late to order from offline storage and have gulped every GC at home. So was planning to go to crush/ Morrell and figure something out.

If you have something you would like to sell /drink, send me a pm/ email.
Thanks

Just FYI. Jonathon is on a suspension until the end of the year. So if you’re expecting a reply it won’t come.

Please email him for coordination. PMs will not working.

Hi Gang,

I’m writing so that we can rely that we are meeting this Monday night, December 30 at 6:30 pm. I don’t have Jonathan’s contact info and I have not heard from him. The last I heard from him he said the dinner was on and he asked that I negotiate our corkage fee. I have confirmed the reservation (under Sirot) and we have a $10 per person corkage fee like last time.

We will be meeting at the PDH, midtown, east side. (not the PDH in Chinatown) Please remember that it is necessary to bring stems. I’m including my cell #.

I’m excited about this, hope to see everyone!

Peking Duck House
236 E. 53 St.

Tom
212 334 5212

Hi Tom,

Thanks for this–still on track to come and very much looking forward. Though I brought the Dujac from home, but no stems. Any chance that you or anyone else might be able to bring a few extras for me?

Hey Joahua,

Very glad you’re coming. Unfortunately I do not have any extra stems at the moment. My advice is to inquire of the group again if this first appeal does not bring a response.

Joshua, I have a text from Dennis who has generously offered to bring stems for you.

Thanks to Dennis, and to you, Tom!

Looking forward to seeing everyone! If anyone needs to reach Jonathan, you can email him through the board (PM will not work through the end of the year).

Hey guys

See you all today. I will be bringing 2005 Jadot Chapelle Chambertin.

Thank you everyone. Great night.
4C2AF356-AD2D-4F67-95CB-153830B35C46.jpeg
972BDC03-B756-42BE-9D84-044880BC61D1.jpeg

Vampires! You’re all hanging from the ceiling. So who’s who? Was your 8th the shutter nutter?

What was Windy’s mystery wine?
Im too lazy to look it up.
Which wine was WOTN?

Fellow Burgundy Space Cadets of the PDH,

Here are some notes from the Grand Cru tasting/dinner Monday night. First of all, we are blessed to have been able to do this! Take a moment.
Also, with all the recent ups and downs surrounding our group we were very happy to have a brilliant night. We are unanimous in agreement that we ‘just want to taste great wine’. After reading this, all will see that I am not the one to ‘take notes, comment and report’ on the event. I will mention this and that and hope for comments from others. Don’t know if I will do this again. Especially since I know nothing about Burgundy. (but who does!) For notes from someone who does, go here: https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/s-gc-burg-offline-12-30-nyc-some-tns/157229/1

It was another night of ‘weather’ but everyone made it save one. It felt like we were all grateful to be together at such a date (night before new years eve) with such a selection of wines. Great thanks must go to those who brought extras including Dennis and Windy and Joshua who brought a wine that was a level up from the rest, Dujac Echezeaux. Thanks to all for generosity and companionship. Also, I think, the food was particularly great across the board (fried rice, not so much) and the service and venue was fine.

Ok, right out of the gate was the JJ Prum (Bernkasteler Badstube Spatlese) an 07 or a 71? My notes say 07 but I’m fairly certain it was a 71. Unforgivable oversight, I’m sorry. Anyway, I found a steely and classy nose, soft and fruity on the palate. Particularly delicious and excellent it was perfectly balanced, drinking now but not distinguished. Immensely enjoyable, I wish that I was not in a near frenzy to get to the Burgs that most were (somewhat) inexplicably feasting on like wild animals.

Next was 16 Fevre Chablis Les Preuses Grand Cru William Fevre Chablis Les Preuses Domaine 2016 (750ML) - grandvinwinemerchants.com I include the website because this wine was a mystery to me. Many at the table expressed appreciation of the wine but I never got it and I really wanted to. I kept delaying tasting the red burgs to get a handle on what I hoped was a great bottle. And the food is getting cold so forget about a pure evaluation. From my notes: not opening, ungenerous, ‘subtle’, refined?, watery entry, closed down. Then later, after 90 min., sappy, balanced, fennel, crushed stone, cat piss, petrol, classy, no vibrancy or energy and … Must be in a phase… Was not off.

There was an oxidized Sekt that was interesting but the burgundies were whirling around the table on the PDH lazy susan.

As for the burgs, they were delicious but ‘disappointingly’ tasted fairly similar to each other. And this is why you don’t want me as your note taker. I’ve no experience tasting Grand Cru Burgs. And, as I’ve mentioned, my palate was heading round the bend after the food, etc. Something memorable was the irrefutable smell And Taste of horseshit, not just barnyard, on the 07 Hospices de Beaune. After 90 min it thinned out, lost it’s shit and became concerning. Translates into ‘drink up’, but what do I know? Notable was the wonderful nose on the 07 Ponsot Chapole Chambertin. All the burgs could have used more time in the cellar save the aforementioned Beaune.

For me the Dujac Echezeaux was easily WOTN. It opened so hot that I poured a full glass and let it sit for 90 min. I’m not interested in the $500 price tag but it was certainly a great wine. Fresh, deep, rich with a particularly beautiful and delicate nose.

Hoping for the next tasting to be sooner than later.

1. Jonathan - 2008 Cristal + TBD
  2. Tom. - 07 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvee Madeleine Collignon, Faiveley
  3. Dennis - 2007 Ponsot Chsppelle Chambertin
  4. Windy - 1990 Mystery Wine
  5. Julie - 2009 Domaine Meo-Camuzet Corton-Perrieres
  6. Mike - 2001 Domaine Faiveley Corton Clos des Corton + 1987 Peter Lauer Sekt Reserve
  7. Dinesh - 05 Jadot Chapelle Chambertin
  8. Joshua - 2007 Dujac Echezeaux

Why wasnt the wines poured evenly instead of a free for all?

I will happily answer that, even though on account of Ct being a Sheet of Ice starting at 3pm and getting worse constantly, was unable to join this event that I had been wanting to pull off for a long time. It is very difficult on this board, or anywhere to find Burgundy afficionados with aged Burgundy who wish to come out to play. I am sad I missed it, apologize for not calling but if one understood how stressed and crazy my week was they might understand why I forgot to call. We all are human.

As for the pours, even with our largest group being 10 folks, we all seem to prefer a casual approach to pouring as some prefer the wines to be served in differing order and some take a small pour only and find the wine is not in their wheelhouse and therefore do not pour any more of that wine, leaving a substantial portion for others who might wish to watch the wine progress. At none of these events I just started recently with this NEW group has there been ANY WINE that did not have a bit remaining in every bottle at the later part of the evening. You should note also that at my gigs there are always more bottles of wine than people. Usually there are 10 bottles with a gang of 8. Last time Yong you wanted to go but didn’t like the venue. You missed some amazing wines though sadly.

We don’t do fancy places, we do drink fancy wines though as our group does see value in that. as you have been a continually interested party why don’t you join the next event even though you might not love the venue. It’s about amazing wines and friendly people. I did ask you to make an alternate suggestion in a previous note of anywhere in the under $100 range that’s a French bistro or southern Italian that might be suitable. Got no response.

I am still interested in finding other good venues for our future dinners. I am totally open to suggestions from anyone who may be attending. These will likely be arranged privately as there has been so much fighting on this board about offlines and my attitudes surrounding them and other’s behaviors. If you or anyone else wish to be included in my list of interested attendees drop me a pm please as we would love to have new members added.

I did send you an email reply but thats not important anymore. You guys had fun. Im happy for the group. I just wanted to know why that pouring method was decided. Wasnt meant to be judgemental.

I do want to meet up one of these days. Without laying out my personal life online, it is very difficult for me at this current time but hopefully soon! (As long as no chinese food). Ha! champagne.gif

What’s wrong with going lax and having a pleasant evening? If you want structured wine tasting, enrol in a WSET class. If Berserker offlines are as rigid as Lee makes them sound, than no wonder people skive off at the last minute! Enjoy the company and wine at any pace or order you fancy.