NYC - Northern Rhone Reds (11/19) @ Batard

Glad you enjoyed. The blind wine addition was a nice twist to end the evening. I hope someone starts notes on another thread.

pics?

Thank you Shan for an impeccably organized event.

What was the blind wine? I left before that was poured.

Cali syrah. I don’t remember the details, but would say the table had 3 guesses for Cali Syrah and 1 uneducated guess (me) for St Joseph

Thanks all for a great evening and to Shan for organizing. Will do better next time on the wine…

You can try again next week

Fortunately we had tons of great wines and the 2 bookends to it. I have been to so many events that have had a corked wine, that I usually bring a back up btl. even of a different wine, or open in advance decant and sample. Some don’t have the time to do this, either way it’s all good, as I have never been to an offline that lacked plenty of excellent juice.

Had a great time on Tuesday night. Food was really quite excellent and the wines showed very well for the most part. I don’t drink a ton of N. Rhone so it was a really nice entry point into some well known producers. Standouts for me were the Clape Cornas, the Chapoutier and the 10 Allemand with the 04 Allemand close behind.

Btw, the blind was a 2016 Pax Mahle Syrah Cuvée Viticole - special custom blend Pax made with Brian McClintic with some fruit that also was used for the Galloni 100 point Pax Mahle syrah. I think both this wine and the Villard I brought would have both benefited from some decanting to help open up but I enjoyed them both.

Thanks for organizing Shan!

It happens to everyone. No worries.

Thanks to all for great wine and great conversation. I liked the Chapoutier and the La Chappelle, probably influenced because they were the first red flight and soon thereafter my palate was shot.