Official Costco Thread

Just went today. Not too impressed with the Cypress selection today, especially after checking out Torrance on Lomita’s new Costco selection (Diesel fuel AND drive through car wash?? Yes please).

They didn’t have the Barolo mentioned earlier.

They did have the Kuleto Cabernet Sauvignon that was recently on LastBottle @ $39.99.

Picked up the Willamette Whole Cluster,
2011 Ramitello Molise Rosso $16.99
2015 Ponzi Pinot Gris $12.99

Redwood City today to get some steaks and cheese

Taittinger Comte de Chanpagne - something called a Yacht Box which is a large plexi box, leather handles containing 3 x 2006 Brut, 3 x 2006 Rosé and 6 engraved flutes - $950
Picked up a couple of bottle of Avancia Gordello for $20 which I am interested to try
2014 Sylvain Gourdan Vouvray Sec which at $12.50 a bottle is a very very pleasant quaff
2015 Domaine de l’Olivette Bandol Rosé - $16

Sacramento/Exhibition had some 2010 Bel Orme Tronquoy Lalande for $15, about $5 cheaper than K&L, who also got a shipment in. (K&L also has the 2001 for $20 as well)

This is the Haut Medoc, not the St Estephe. It’s probably in some of the other NorCal stores as well.

For those who haven’t blown their wine budget this month yet:

Mountain View has
2012 DRC Romanee-Conti $13,999
2013 DRC La Tache $2,999

Talked to the wine buyer for Mtn View and he only has 1 bottle each.
IMG_1712.JPG

3 Costco here in Edmonton. Car parks full by 10.30 I am told. I visited the new one in the westend and was totally un-impressed. Kirkland everywhere and nothing I would want to buy at all.

1 Like

Don’t be so quick to condemn anything marketed under Kirkland moniker; sometimes they have a good producer behind the label. For example the 2015 Kirkland Cotes du Rhone is a blend from well regarded negociant Patric Lesec, basically from Eztragues village vineyards – it’s a heck of a wine for $7.

I just got back from Costco this morning, and the SO specifically forbade me from even wandering into the wine section, so I’m not sure what glories are on offer at #471, other than Veuve Clicquot for $42, which was on an aisle endcap.

Thanks Arv, I will take note next time I pass one here in my area.

Think it was on another thread but the one in Hawthorn/Manhattan Beach adjacent and at least one other have 2007 Musar at $37/750. I just cracked my 6th bottle in about 2 months and love working it into the rotation. Mini TN: almost Amarone like in character and seems like it has more to go after 9 years. No bricking, quite a lot of fruit left that really lingers, drank with wife’s Lasagna on a cold shitty rainy night in LA, gets better after 1hr+

Picked up a bottle of Kirkland Signature Pauillac 2014 today at the Azusa, CA location for $22.99. 13% alcohol. Came home and looked up CT reviews and only has one, for 79 points. Anyone else have any experience with this?

thought they had only a 15% mark up. No way they paid $12,200 for the RC.

At least you get 2% back if you use your Costco Anywhere Visa Card.

Redwood City:

Hanzell Sebella Chard $27.99 (enjoyed this at the IPOB tasting)
Chapoutier CdP La Bernadine $39.99 (can’t remember whether it is the '13 or '14
Dow’s '94 $89.99
Siduri 2013 Sonoma Coast $23.99
Henriot Brut Souverain Mags $79.99
Domaine Chante Cigale CdP Blanc '15 $26.99

Atlanta, Brookhaven specifically.

The selection is solid, the pricing typically good if not great. I try to avoid buying anything there since I’d much rather support the excellent Le Caveau wine shop down the street, but I couldn’t pass up grabbing a couple bottles of the 2005 La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva at $40 a pop.

The best deal I saw in Reno is Laphroig 10 year old scotch for $39.99.

Brad, I find the Dunwoody location tends to have a wider selection, particularly of higher end wines, though I tend not to buy wine at Costco because Eric’s far more interesting selection consumes way too much of my budget. I also don’t frequent the Dunwoody Costco because (1) it isn’t on my way home and (2) it is a madhouse,

I had a glass from Coravin and with a steak it was decent. I’m no Pauillac expert but this is prob not among their elite.

Holy cow!

I was at the Costco in Santa Rosa recently and was blown away by their selection compared to us down south. I was told the Costco in Novato is even crazier. Was in a rush to head to Napa so I only picked up a few 2010 pio cesare barolos for $39 which was a really good deal imo. You norcal folks have it good!

Thank you. Doesn’t sound very promising, does it? Oh well, I thought it was worth taking a chance on.

Same here on taking a shot. You never know when you might strike gold. And who knows maybe time will favor it.

Foster City Costco
image.jpeg