OK, we are going to Burgundy this summer - Restaurants

Great, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t similar in pacing to Millesime as described by Andrew.

Trying to minimize length of lunches so we have more time to see the vineyards between appointments.

I work with Levernois quite a bit (taking some clients there this coming Friday). Great hotel - only 2 miles from Beaune - great restaurant and bistro.

Hello Darryl:

We also had a very fine dinner there during our first visit and I certainly would return there for dinner. However, they are not open for lunch and thus we have been limited (although certainly not unhappily) to Millesime for our lunches in C-M.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Andrew

These restaurants sound great, but is there a reason that they are mostly near Beaune?

We are staying south, close to Macon and will definitely venture up frequently and try some of these places, but is there anything worth trying around Macon (besides the aforementioned La Table de Chaintre)?

Try using viamichelin. Fifteen 1*, one 2* and one 3* restaurant close to the Macon.

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Restaurants?strMerged=macon&strAddress=&c22=0&c16=0#resultSearch@address=&merge=&sK=1424&sejour=&michelin=false&arrivaldate=&nights=&people=

Hi Howard,
A few of my favourites are:

Maison de la Cariatides: Relatively new place in Dijon. A reco from Jeremy Seysses, food is very good, wine list is very cheap.

La Cabotte: Still outstanding.

Ma Cuisine: Still outstanding.

Aupres de Clocher: Modern, inventive cuisine. Coche at reasonable prices. Excellent service.

Caveau des Arches: All of the local classics cooked well. Excellent list.

Les Tontons:Good food, good wine list.

Le Millesime: Relatively new joint in Chambolle. Inventive food, bargain prix fix lunch menu, cheap Raveneau and other goodies.

Bissoh: As Anthony says a relief restaurant. Japenese fusion food, excellent list.

Le Terroir: Run by the lovliest of ladies in the heart of Santenay. Classic food, plenty of local wines at good prices, some big hitter gems.

Auberge de la Miotte: Very ye olde worlde. The owner is the Coche distributor in Paris.

Hotel du Centre: New addition to Meursault. Classics cooked well. Decent list.

Greuze: In Tournus, about 45 minutes south of Beaune. Inventive food with 1 star. Worthy of 2 stars.

Cheers
Jeremy

Thanks for the resource! Makes it very easy to narrow it down.

I’m in Burgundy every so often. In Beaune, don’t miss Ma Cuisine for typical Burgundian country cuisine (see: this and this). Le Gourmandin is also good. Both have good wine lists.

Howard
FYI Le Chambolle is open for lunch and dinner (closed wed, thurs). If you get up to Gevery Chez Guy is very good. Simon in Flagey is great (closed Wed all day & Sun eve). For Asian/French fusion Le Charlemagne in Pernand Vergeleses - Michelen star (closed Tues and Wed lunch). Bissoh probably the best selection of those white varietals from along the Rhein that you like. Auberge de Miotte is open for lunch every day and Sat eve. for Dinner (duck confit w/ chips mason mmmm!).
Have a great trip, Mike
P.S.- Had a 2002 CdlR from Jacky this week - singing very nicely.

is Le Chassagne off the list or closed?
alan

Food is still good Alan but we had very sloppy service there a couple of month’s ago. There is a rumour going around that the chef wants to close and perhaps relocate to the Cote de Nuits.

I’ve also always liked the food at Le Montrachet in Puligny, but haven’t eaten there is several years, so don’t know what it’s like there now.

Boy, I wish I could be there for a month and try all these places.

+1on Le Charlemagne, especially for lunch. Gorgeous setting, great food, prix fixe linch a steal. Desert was a jar of cheese (awesome!).

Would not go back to les Ton Tons.

+1on Le Charlemagne, especially for lunch. Gorgeous setting, great food, prix fixe linch a steal. Desert was a jar of cheese (awesome!).

Would not go back to les Ton Tons.

Montrachet: great food with great wine list. I really enjoy the terrace everytime I go there with clients.
Chassagne: change of owners very soon if not already done
Cave Madeleine: still one of my top recommendation even if prices went up by a bit! The food, wine list and Laurent’s recommendations/advise are still worth it though
There is a new restaurant in Levernois I havent tried yet.

Bar 66 in Place Carnot - Beaune - offers a nice selection of wines and coldcut planchas (prosciutto, sausage, cheeses)" Nice setting too.
Another place in the same spirit but it is primarly a wine shop Les Vins de Maurice not far from Le Cep hotel in Beaune

We have made reservations for the following:

Auprès du Clocher in Pommard
Les Chevreuil in Meursault
Caves Madeleine in Beaune
Caveau des Arches in Beaune

So, we decided to try all new restaurants (at least new to me). I have been to restaurants like Ma Cuisine, l’Ecusson, les Tonton, les Gourmandin, la Miotte, le Conte and a few others on previous trips and could easily be really happy with most of these again, but decided that if I keep going back to favorites I will never try anything new. We will see about lunches, if there is time.

I will report back when we get back. Of interest, Aupres du Clocher (unlike many if not most good Burgundy restaurants) is open on Sunday night). That plus everyone’s reviews made this a no-brainer.

The 2001s and 2002s are really good.

Went to Après du Clocher tonight. Great food. A course Of eprosses on hard bread with an epoisses mousse dipping sauce was to die for.

You’re over there already, Howard? OK, how’s that Ibis Style?