OK, we are going to Burgundy this summer - Restaurants

The rooms are small, but otherwise very nice. Good value. I will take some pictures and send them to you when I get home.

I would second Chambolle in CM.

I didn’t see it mentioned, but we ate at Le Jardin des Remparts in Beaune in April and I was a bit disappointed. A charming location, but the food (tasting menu) was a bit forced. The wine list was also quite picked-over.

I’m a big fan of Jardin, ate their twice in one week. Can you elaborate on what you meant by “forced”?

Yes, although it has been a few months now and I didn’t take notes. I think the best explanation was that, IMO, they were trying quite hard to present a haute cuisine menu and it just didn’t work for me. Frankly I thought the dishes were unnecessarily complicated, a bit dated (e.g., judicious of foam), expensive, and just not very satisfying. Although it is perhaps not a fair comparison, we ate at Les Crayères in Reims (which has two stars) later that week (where the tasting menu was 110 Euros versus 89 Euros at Jardin) and the contrast was substantial. Maybe a la carte here is a better option?

I had lunch at Le Montrachet a few weeks ago; food, service, and wine were all perfect. The Hostellerie de Levernois was lovely, but the food was not as good as I had expected. Granted, we were a fairly large group, and I would like to give it another try on another day. Unfortunately, we were not able to get a table at Ma Cuisine. We loved Le Berger Temps in Montagny Le Beaune; a quirky, cozy, casual place with hearty but artful food. Food, wine, and service at Hotel Le Cedre in Beaune were exceptional. We had the most fun watching the guests enter the restaurant; it was like Fashion Week.

Le Berger de Temps used to be a fun place especially if you have young children as the decoration is playful. In the last few years it has appeared a little run down to me and after recommending it for a few years as a “restaurant of charm” we will not go again. It is certainly quirky and fun to eat food cooked in a wood fired oven. For something unusual give it a try but beware that it is a “character” restaurant.

I always go for the carte. Each to their own, I guess :>)

I love the seaweed infused butter!

Fresh from L’hotel in Beaune. As a counterpoint to Andrew’s experience, I had a fantastic time. The service wasn’t the most attentive (like Andrew, I often had to pour my own wine), but I’ll explain why I am more than happy with the service and experience: due to my travel partner canceling on me last-minute, I was there alone, and was resigned to not having the Bresse chicken (a two-man portion). The waiter took the initiative to clear a single-person portion with the kitchen. In contrast, on the same day (today), I had lunch at a two-Michelin-star restaurant in Dijon, also with Bresse chicken on the menu, and no such effort was made. I didn’t ask for special treatment at either place; I merely asked about the possibility to have a single-person portion. At l’hotel, the waiter apologized about the situation, then came back three minutes later saying, “ok, we’ll do you a half-poulet.” I tried my luck with a half-poularde but that was a no-go.

I’ve been at other established restaurants that friends/gourmets swear by and have had terrible experiences there (I spit on the name of Foreign Cinema in San Francisco; like Andrew, I would not go back if someone paid me to); I can only guess that maybe Andrew had an off night? I certainly had a ball at l’hotel.

Miotte only opens for lunch?

Sam, I am happy you had a great time. I know many others have as well. I have no idea if it was an “off-night” when we visited, but it definitely was “off,” at least for us, and there are enough other places to try. As they say, ymmv!

Cheers,
Andrew

Definitely, YMMV, maybe especially so in France? I’ve certainly had my [head-bang.gif] moments!

Friends,

It is always a unique experience for me to go to restaurants in Burgundy; that aside I must confess to being a bit annoyed at the wine lists. Generally speaking the wines are far too young and far too pricey. A wine barely leaving the cellar is already put on the list with prices that triple the prices paid chez le viticulteur. This is not honest and I told that to the sommelier at ROTISSErie du CHAMBERTIN even using the word “theft”. It was the reason why a respected VITICULTEUR as Daniel Bocquenet stopped selling wine to the GENTILHOMMIERE. That aside LE SOUFFLOT at MEURSAULT had a truly great wine list (lots of super stars) at very decent prices. A great experience to eat and drink there. Other personal favorites: LA CABOTTE (again the wine list has become way too expensive. Chevillon used to be on the list at very interesting prices but that stopped), Millésime and LE CHAMBOLLE at Chambolle Musigny (same remark though. HUIDELOT-BAILLET was on the list in LE CHAMBOLLE at a very fair price but that is past tense too)). That they double the price is OK by me but it should stop at that and please try to put a few gems on the list that show off a certain age.

SINCERELY JOHAN

We have only ourselves to blame.